Youth climate strikers: 'We are going to change the fate of humanity' - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
It is their future and they ought to protest climate change. Perhaps this is the first genuine protest movement since 1968 and the peace movement in the 80s.

Youth climate strikers: 'We are going to change the fate of humanity'

Youth climate strikers: 'We are going to change the fate of humanity'

Fri 1 Mar 2019 12.00 GMT

The students striking from schools around the world to demand action on climate change have issued an uncompromising open letter stating: “We are going to change the fate of humanity, whether you like it or not.”

The letter, published by the Guardian, says: “United we will rise on 15 March and many times after until we see climate justice. We demand the world’s decision makers take responsibility and solve this crisis. You have failed us in the past. [But] the youth of this world has started to move and we will not rest again.”

The Youth Strikes for Climate movement is not centrally organised, so keeping track of the fast growing number of strikes is difficult, but many are registering on FridaysForFuture.org. So far, there are almost 500 events listed to take place on 15 March across 51 countries, making it the biggest strike day so far. Students plan to skip school across Western Europe, from the US to Brazil and Chile, and from Australia to Iran, India and Japan.

“For people under 18 in most countries, the only democratic right we have is to demonstrate. We don’t have representation,” said Jonas Kampus, a 17 year old student activist, from near Zurich, Switzerland. “To study for a future that will not exist, that does not make sense.”

The letter says: “We are the voiceless future of humanity ... We will not accept a life in fear and devastation. We have the right to live our dreams and hopes.” Kampus helped initiate the letter, which was created collectively via a global coordination group numbering about 150 students, including the first youth climate striker, Sweden’s Greta Thunberg.

The strikes have attracted some criticism and Kampus said: “We wanted to define for ourselves why we are striking.” Another member of the coordination group, Anna Taylor, 17, from north London, UK, said: “The importance of the letter is it shows this is now an international movement.

Taylor said: “The rapid growth of the movement is showing how important it is and how much young people care. It is vital for our future.” Janine O’Keefe, from FridaysForFuture.org, said: “I’ll be very happy with over 100,000 students striking on 15 March. But I think we might reach even beyond 500,000 students.”

Thunberg, now 16 years old and who began the strikes with a solo protest beginning last August, is currently on holiday from school. She was one of about 3,000 student demonstrators in Antwerp, Belgium on Thursday, and joined protesters in Hamburg on Friday morning.

In recent days, she has sharply rejected criticism of the strikes from educational authorities, telling the Hong Kong Education Bureau: “We fight for our future. It doesn’t help if we have to fight the adults too.” She also told a critical Australian state education education minister his words “belong in a museum”.

The strikes have been supported by Christiana Figueres, the UN’s climate chief when the Paris deal to fight global warming was signed in 2015. She said: “It’s time to heed the deeply moving voice of youth. The Paris Agreement was a step in the right direction, but it’s timely implementation is key.” Michael Liebreich, a clean energy expert, said: “Anyone who thinks [the strikes] will fizzle out any time soon has forgotten what it is to be young.”

In the UK, about Taylor said more than 10,000 students went on strike on 15 February: “I’m anticipating at least double that on 15 March.”

The strikes would not end, Taylor said, until “environmental protection is put as politicians’ top priority, over everything else. Young people are cooperating now, but governments are not cooperating anywhere near as much as they should”. She said students were contacting her from new countries every day, including Estonia, Iceland and Uganda in recent days.

Kampus, who was invited to meet the Swiss environment minister, Simonetta Sommaruga, on Wednesday, said: “The strikes will stop when there is a clear outline from politicians on how to solve this crisis and a pathway to get there. I could be doing so many other things. But I don’t have time as we have to solve this crisis. My dream is to have a life in peace.”
Merkel welcomed the school students demonstrations without condition,

"So I very much welcome that young people, school students, demonstrate and tell us to do something fast about climate change," she said.

"I think it is a very good initiative," she added, without making reference to the fact that they were protesting during school hours.

Climate change: Angela Merkel welcomes school strikes

while Theresa May slams the students for wasting teachers' time as if she hadn't wasted everybody's time for the last 2 years.

Theresa May has criticised pupils who walked out of class to demand action on climate change.
Merkel has a terrible environmental record- promoting brown coal, which is the dirtiest source of energy available, undermining electric cars and closing nuclear power plants.
https://www.monbiot.com/2017/09/21/the-smog-chancellor/

I agree with the students who recognise that previous generations have failed them and sold them out.
ness31 wrote:What’s the big deal? Young people demanding their planet doesn’t get trashed? It’s a shame they have to protest the point.

They're demanding that we throw away trillions of dollars on alternative energy scams when billions of human beings are living in abject poverty and they're demanding extreme energy rationing which will drive billions more into poverty. They're are the most dangerous kind of deluded, they are the biggest fucking idiots in the history of deluded idiots. :knife:
AFAIK wrote:Merkel has a terrible environmental record- promoting brown coal, which is the dirtiest source of energy available, undermining electric cars and closing nuclear power plants.

Merkel has not promoted brown coal. Germany is in the process of phasing out coal (together with nuclear), but that cannot be done overnight. There has been a commission including members from all parts of society that agreed on a very elaborate plan to phase out coal and restructure coal mining regions. The fact that this isn't happening in the US plutocracy has resulted in Trump and other catastrophic consequences.

It's very naive to believe that political leaders can just do whatever they want. They are under numerous constraints that limit their decisions. In fact, what Merkel is saying is that she welcomes the protests because it'll put pressure on politics and thus help to move politics in the right direction.

With the popular yellow-vest protests against fuel taxes as in France, political leaders cannot take measures against climate change no matter how much they want to.

As to electric cars, I don't believe the last word has been said about which technology is best.

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]

The more time passes, the more instances of harass[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]