Climate Change will result in more deaths than Covid19 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55944570

Whilst the world wears paper masks, shuts down their entire economy and plays phyrric vaccine nationalism leading to poor nations mutating new variants, one question remains. What about climate change? Even the hardcore Covid hysteric doesn't seem interested in giving up their SUV and package foreign holiday any time soon.

But in reality Climate Change will kill significantly more people. If we had the same kind of drive as we did for making vaccines, we may even be carbon neutral by now. We certainly would have had hydrogen power whose current investment in R&D relies mainly in oil companies (so you can see why this seems stalled). And perhaps even battery cars whose rollout has only be hindered due to the lack of power points and costs of the batteries.

Nonetheless I suppose nobody cares about climate deaths. Those deaths aren't at home. A dry harvest in Ethiopia doesn't effect me right guys. Well it does eventually. Even the West seems to have more extreme weather events now than decades ago which will only get worse. Texas has been suffering from droughts for the past few years and the combination of dry and wet weather last year in the UK meant we had the terrible yields in wheat and other produce in 2020. Things are changing. And these changes are the next pandemic. Are we going to act late like we did with Covid or do something about it now? My hope is the former. I expect the latter.
@B0ycey, since I first starting to report about Covid more than a year ago, I have consistently pointed to the fact that the pandemic is like a trial run for climate change.

Viruses evolve within a very short period of time while the climate takes centuries or decades to change. Thus, humans had the opportunity to test their response to a global crisis and failed so badly that it boggles the mind. The inability of humans to deal with the pandemic doesn't bode well for their ability to deal with climate change.

Climate change deniers are the same as the pandemic deniers, anti-lockdown, anti-mask, antivaxxer, alt-right crowd. That's been obvious for some time. But the below thread shows that the people who supported Trump, Brexit, alt-right, climate change denial, etc., come from the same groups that now support pandemic denial, anti-lock-down, anti-mask, antivaxxer conspiracies.

GLOBAL COVID-19 DISINFORMATION NETWORK

If we want to have a chance of fighting climate change we have to deal with these people first.

Thus, your comparison of the fight against the pandemic to climate change denial is comically wrong. The very opposite is true.
Atlantis wrote:Thus, your comparison of the fight against the pandemic to climate change denial is comically wrong. The very opposite is true.

I agree with all your post. And sure, the way nations have acted at the early part of this pandemic doesn't bode well when they are faced with this crisis. And climate change is a crisis. However you don't have to be in denial to see that our response in regard to Covid isn't without consequence. We haven't even seen what the impact of mass borrowing is yet. And that isn't even considering what impact there is in mental health and other health issues in general, unemployment and services/commerce. So sometimes there needs to be a balance. And that balance should have been personal responsibility whilst building up your health infrastructure and educating new care professionals along with preventive measures. But even if you disagree with what our responses should have been, one thing most people would agree with is that tackling climate change doesn't come with any consequences. It stops us from being oil dependent, better air to breathe, better environment and better overall health. So in that regards we should tackle climate change as we did for Covid once that issue has been resolved to make this world better.
B0ycey wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55944570

Whilst the world wears paper masks, shuts down their entire economy and plays phyrric vaccine nationalism leading to poor nations mutating new variants, one question remains. What about climate change? Even the hardcore Covid hysteric doesn't seem interested in giving up their SUV and package foreign holiday any time soon.

But in reality Climate Change will kill significantly more people. If we had the same kind of drive as we did for making vaccines, we may even be carbon neutral by now. We certainly would have had hydrogen power whose current investment in R&D relies mainly in oil companies (so you can see why this seems stalled). And perhaps even battery cars whose rollout has only be hindered due to the lack of power points and costs of the batteries.

Nonetheless I suppose nobody cares about climate deaths. Those deaths aren't at home. A dry harvest in Ethiopia doesn't effect me right guys. Well it does eventually. Even the West seems to have more extreme weather events now than decades ago which will only get worse. Texas has been suffering from droughts for the past few years and the combination of dry and wet weather last year in the UK meant we had the terrible yields in wheat and other produce in 2020. Things are changing. And these changes are the next pandemic. Are we going to act late like we did with Covid or do something about it now? My hope is the former. I expect the latter.

Yes the climate changes, and we are actually over due for an Ice age.... so perhaps global warming is saving lives.
late wrote:It's going to get a LOT worse, and it won't be saving lives.

Gross exaggerations such as yours have been proffered for two decades. Never do the cynics apologize for being dead wrong. Never. The more wild and silly their predictions, the more press they are given.

http://TheGlobalWarmingFraud.wordpress.com

This is a tiny fraction of the science refuting your fearmongering claims. A tiny fraction.
late wrote:Actually, the cost of extreme weather events keeps going up. The rate at which the cost is going up is expected to increase.

How is that any different than any other time over the last 150 years?

If anyone knows anything about natural disasters, it takes 2 to tango. In other words, for a natural disaster to affect humans negatively you need 2 things: a natural event that can cause harm AND people or structures that can be harmed.

Humans have been increasing in population, and have been building more homes, cities, infrastructure etc. So even if the # and severity of natural weather remained the same, the # of human deaths and the dollar value of destruction would increase. ie: A tornado or flood that occurs in an area without humans will cause zero deaths and zero damage.
Unthinking Majority wrote:
How is that any different than any other time over the last 150 years?

If anyone knows anything about natural disasters, it takes 2 to tango. In other words, for a natural disaster to affect humans negatively you need 2 things: a natural event that can cause harm AND people or structures that can be harmed.

Humans have been increasing in population, and have been building more homes, cities, infrastructure etc. So even if the # and severity of natural weather remained the same, the # of human deaths and the dollar value of destruction would increase. ie: A tornado or flood that occurs in an area without humans will cause zero deaths and zero damage.

The amount of energy hurricanes put out is increasing. More energy in, more out.

Climate change is playing a big role in the superfires in places like California.

You get the idea.

No one is arguing that's the only cause, and no one sane is arguing that population changes is the only cause.
Transitioning to renewable energy and away from polluting oil....which will have the added benefit on making obsolete petro-state dictatorships that tend to wreak absolute havoc on nation states.

And getting serious about free modern contraception for all and supporting female sovereignty worldwide.

Stabilizing the environment by reducing fossil fuel pollution and stabilizing population will give the human species at shot at stability.

If that doesn't work, then it's definitely time to hit the bottle.

The rapes by Hamas, real or imagained are irreleva[…]

@Rugoz You are a fuckin' moralist, Russia coul[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]