Methane is pouring into the air 13 times faster in 2022 than in ea. year on average from 2008 - 2021 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Climate Recap around the Globe, 5,130 views, Feb 27, 2022, by Paul Beckwith

30 min. long, but skip to about the part at 5 min. to 6.5 min. to see the important part.

From 2008 to 2021 methane levels at Barrow, AL increased by 100 parts/billion, 8 ppb each year.

But, in 1 year from 2021 to 2022 methane levels at Barrow, AL increased by 100 parts/billion.
This is 13 times faster than in the average per year over the last 13 years.
Methane is about 80 times stronger of a GHG than CO2.

I still suspect someone has set up a methane-spewing source rather near Barrow, AL (I know it's very close to the North Pole but still).

It's not scientific to deduce a global situation with data from just one location.
I found this graph from a google search.

This worldwide data. My source didn't explain what those numbers are. They are not parts per billion. The 16.3 ppb number corresponds (as the graph says) to 1876 actual ppb. They still are in relation to each other.
. . . It is almost certain according to Dr. Paul Beckwith that the levels are higher in the arctic because to source is almost certainly permafrost, seafloor permafrost, and seafloor methane hydrates. This means that the arctic will warm faster, and that is bed for 2 reasons. a] It speeds the ice melting leading to ice free arctic sooner. And b] it makes the jet stream weaker and wavier (wavier leads to more frigid temps further south like in Texas last year).

As you can see the graph was pretty flat from 7.2 in 2007 to 8.7 in 2019 (= for 12 years). Then in 2020 it jumped up to 14.6 (=+5.9 in 1 year), and in 2021 it increased to 16.3 (=+1.7).

https://boardgamegeek.com/image/6739410/steve1501

Click on it soon it may not last.
_________________________________._________________________________________

Also, IIRC, Paul in the OP above also pointed out that about 65% to 80% of the grain growing regions of the US are currently in a drought. This has reduced harvests for the last 2 years and will do so again this year. This has and will continue to increase food prices. It will likely get worse in the coming years.
Last edited by Steve_American on 09 Mar 2022 01:22, edited 2 times in total.
Patrickov wrote:I still suspect someone has set up a methane-spewing source rather near Barrow, AL (I know it's very close to the North Pole but still).

It's not scientific to deduce a global situation with data from just one location.

So, did you or anyone here go looking for confirmation?

If you don't want to face reality, reality doesn't care. It will do its thing, and if that means it will bite or eat your ass, then your ass will suffer whether or not you accepted it.

I found confirmation in a google search, see above.

Yes, Barrow, AK is in the arctic and so the source that has increased releasing CH4 is also in just the arctic. So, when the CH4 is fully mixed in the air, the rate of increase will be less.
. . . However, the tipping point I have been told is the most dangerous, has been triggered.

This means temps will be rising faster now than recently, and it will also be much harder to stop ACC aka GW now that it has been tripped.
. now at 206 views
The recent 3rd IPCC report is out about a week ago. It is still hopeful. However, by 'law' the IPCC only looks at scientific papers that were publish some time ago, so the data they are based on is at least 2 years old.

So, the data that Methane level is shooting up in the Arctic is not included in the thinking of the writers of the ICC reports.

So, the IPCC's optimistic forecasts of what is still possible likely are not accurate. This is not heart warming.

Moving the goalposts won't change the facts on th[…]

There were formidable defense lines in the Donbas[…]

World War II Day by Day

March 28, Thursday No separate peace deal with G[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Meanwhile, your opponents argue that everyone e[…]