California went big on rooftop solar. Now that's a problem for landfills - Page 5 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Well, this thread went from bad to lunatic..

Ckaihatsu, First Rule of Holes, when you're in one, stop digging...

To everyone else, we are in a transition, and the tech we are currently using is also transitional. Lithium will go bye bye sometime in the next ten years. Solar panels will likely get replaced by something better, no idea about the timeframe on that. They may stick around in places like Nevada, but when we start work on the next gen of power generation, it's not likely to be a big part of the mix in most of the country.
late wrote:
Well, this thread went from bad to lunatic..

Ckaihatsu, First Rule of Holes, when you're in one, stop digging...

To everyone else, we are in a transition, and the tech we are currently using is also transitional. Lithium will go bye bye sometime in the next ten years. Solar panels will likely get replaced by something better, no idea about the timeframe on that. They may stick around in places like Nevada, but when we start work on the next gen of power generation, it's not likely to be a big part of the mix in most of the country.

GFY, late -- nothing I've said here has been off-topic *or* off-the-wall. There are even *videos* / demonstrations of several energy alternatives, but, of course, no *profit making* from such technologies so they definitely *won't* be embraced by corporate capitalism.

Hell, *fresnel lenses* currently exist for purchase and they're not incorporated into the mainstream energy stream.

People have suggested tapping *waste heat* from ongoing industrial processes, etc.
BlutoSays wrote:Conventional and glass mat batteries are made of lead, water and sulfuric acid. No supply problem and pretty much recycled at end of life.

They are not the same.

So they use different and perhaps more toxic chemicals.

And I doubt very much that these batteries get recycled.

And you still have all the toxic materials of an internal combustion engine, and a toxic fuel.
Pants-of-dog wrote:So they use different and perhaps more toxic chemicals.

And I doubt very much that these batteries get recycled.

And you still have all the toxic materials of an internal combustion engine, and a toxic fuel.

This is just getting stupid. Car batteries don't get recycled? You must live in a cave.
ckaihatsu wrote:GFY, late -- nothing I've said here has been off-topic *or* off-the-wall. There are even *videos* / demonstrations of several energy alternatives, but, of course, no *profit making* from such technologies so they definitely *won't* be embraced by corporate capitalism.

Hell, *fresnel lenses* currently exist for purchase and they're not incorporated into the mainstream energy stream.

People have suggested tapping *waste heat* from ongoing industrial processes, etc.

Well Physics says it can't be done. There is endless ways such tech could be profitable.

They are lots of videos about flat earth, flying spaghetti monster etc. Videos existing on you tube claiming all sorts of stuff. Don't make them true.
pugsville wrote:
Well Physics says it can't be done. There is endless ways such tech could be profitable.

They are lots of videos about flat earth, flying spaghetti monster etc. Videos existing on you tube claiming all sorts of stuff. Don't make them true.

I think you and late, for whatever reason, are *missing the point* here -- the U.S. energy policy is *corporate* energy policy and so already-existing non-polluting 'free' alternatives are deliberately overlooked.

In past, more-Dark-Ages decades, scientists have been *killed* / assassinated, over the implications of their research.

*You're* using a strawman tactic, btw.
ckaihatsu wrote:I think you and late, for whatever reason, are *missing the point* here -- the U.S. energy policy is *corporate* energy policy and so already-existing non-polluting 'free' alternatives are deliberately overlooked.

In past, more-Dark-Ages decades, scientists have been *killed* / assassinated, over the implications of their research.

I'm not. Strawman is when I erect a poor copy of your argument and destroy that,. I'm dismissing your claims out of hand without bothering to seriously entertain them let alone construct a poor version to attack,. as (a) impossible and oh I can just stop there,
pugsville wrote:
There is endless ways such tech could be profitable.

Take it up with Rancid:

Rancid wrote:
Indeed. Corporations are about optimizing profit, not productivity. While higher productivity is reasonably correlated to profits, it's a mistake to believe that productivity = profits.

viewtopic.php?p=15247137#p15247137

---

Also, PV, your nationalistic *inertia* is showing through -- *should* the point of technology be for profits -- ?
ckaihatsu wrote:I think you and late, for whatever reason, are *missing the point* here -- the U.S. energy policy is *corporate* energy policy and so already-existing non-polluting 'free' alternatives are deliberately overlooked.

Let's put it this way. The left hates corporate welfare, but the minute they rub a little shinola on it, they'll gobble it up wholeheartedly. Like I say, democrats have situational ethics.

This is about a lot of things, but it's not about "saving the planet". That's just agitprop for votes. It's probably more about getting the velocity of money up, because people really aren't buying, and the DNC needs that to rise for economic forecasting and for more votes for power. So, put yourself underwater and in deep debt and buy an electric car, because the left wants you to even if your present car is perfectly fine. Spend, spend, spend. And if you don't or won't, we (Uncle Sham) will spend for you, because we know what's good for you better than you do.

As Joe says (same shit, year after year)....

BlutoSays wrote:
Let's put it this way. The left hates corporate welfare, but the minute they rub a little shinola on it, they'll gobble it up wholeheartedly. Like I say, democrats have situational ethics.

Or just peruse the dictionary for 'rank fucking opportunism'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Re ... olution%3F

BlutoSays wrote:
This is about a lot of things, but it's not about "saving the planet". That's just agitprop for votes. It's probably more about getting the velocity of money up, because people really aren't buying, and the DNC needs that to rise for economic forecasting and for more votes for power. So, put yourself underwater and in deep debt and buy an electric car, because the left wants you to even if your present car is perfectly fine. Spend, spend, spend. And it you don't, we (Uncle Sham) will for you, because we know what's good for you better than you do.

As Joe says (same shit, year after year)....

https:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCqgNWRjmAc

Sure, it's a *contrived* Next-Big-Thing, but you can't just throw out the underlying science.

You're getting right back into your party-politics here.
The whole God damned democrat party is a contrived mess. Free health care, climate change, banning anything they don't like while making anything they want a "human right", the macinations of the Free Shit Army on a daily basis, asking for more money to solve every problem on a daily basis (because money solves everything doncha know), the whole stench of the LGBTQ agenda and all their shitty affinity groups like ANTIFA, DSA and BLM.

C'mon. Get real.
BlutoSays wrote:
The whole God damned democrat party is a contrived mess. Free health care, climate change, banning anything they don't like while making anything they want a "human right", the macinations of the Free Shit Army on a daily basis, asking for more money to solve every problem on a daily basis (because money solves everything doncha know).

C'mon. Get real.

Time to return to MAGA Town, now, BS.
ckaihatsu wrote:
GFY, late -- nothing I've said here has been off-topic *or* off-the-wall. There are even *videos* / demonstrations of several energy alternatives, but, of course, no *profit making* from such technologies so they definitely *won't* be embraced by corporate capitalism.

You are using kooks in a disingenuous manner.
late wrote:
You are using kooks in a disingenuous manner.

I am 'using' people? By *referencing* them and their work? People *pay money* for the kind of thing I did -- it's called 'publicity'.

And why *demean* such researchers (and me) with that pejorative?

You're obviously *at your limits*, or rather, the limits of *politics*, since good and appropriate technologies / implementations can't be *bickered with*, late.

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]

In Canada, Indigenous people have been harassed r[…]

That was weird

No, it won't. Only the Democrats will be hurt by […]

No. There is nothing arbitrary about whether peop[…]