Too damn hot - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By late
Hundreds have died already, and it's supposed to get even hotter, setting all time heat records.

England is at it's highest alert level, France is calling it an emergency, but it's even worse in southern Europe. You may not realise this, but London is north of Calgary...

“The chances of seeing 40°C [104 degrees] days in the U.K. could be as much as 10 times more likely in the current climate than under a natural climate unaffected by human influence,” said Nikos Christidis, a climate attribution scientist at the Met Office. “The likelihood of exceeding 40°C anywhere in the U.K. in a given year has also been rapidly increasing.."

In addition to the central U.S. and western Europe, central Asia is also baking. In other words, three exceptional heat waves are affecting the Northern Hemisphere."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... ecords-uk/
By Politics_Observer
Well nobody wants to do anything about global warming. People just only care about having a job or making money no matter what and that's all they care about. If that means turning Earth into Venus to where life can't exist on it then so be it. See how narrow-minded, stupid, ignorant, and short-sighted that is? You would think people would be smart enough to combat global warming, but money is more important than being able to have a planet to live on that can sustain life. Me, me, me, me, and to hell with everything and everybody else no matter what. That's the mentality. That's why we have this problem today. Will people change their minds so that this problem will be solved or will life cease to exist on Earth because it's been turned into another planet, Venus?
By MadMonk
The fires in Spain remind me of Tolkien's Mordor.

By Rancid
Politics_Observer wrote:Well nobody wants to do anything about global warming. People just only care about having a job or making money no matter what and that's all they care about. If that means turning Earth into Venus to where life can't exist on it then so be it. See how narrow-minded, stupid, ignorant, and short-sighted that is? You would think people would be smart enough to combat global warming, but money is more important than being able to have a planet to live on that can sustain life. Me, me, me, me, and to hell with everything and everybody else no matter what. That's the mentality. That's why we have this problem today. Will people change their minds so that this problem will be solved or will life cease to exist on Earth because it's been turned into another planet, Venus?

Our society is setup in a way, that the morons get a lot of say. :hmm:
By Godstud
@late About 2 years ago we had temps as high as 46C in Western Canada(that's about on line with Calgary). Bloody hot. Heck, it was only around 34C in Thailand, at the time!

I hope UK/European residents can cope with the hot temps. 40C is disgustingly hot.
By Potemkin
Rancid wrote:Our society is setup in a way, that the morons get a lot of say. :hmm:

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” - HL Mencken
By ness31
My European friends are telling me this heat wave emanates from winds from the Sahara, bringing with it dust and sand. Can anyone else confirm this?
By Igor Antunov
late wrote:Hundreds have died already, and it's supposed to get even hotter, setting all time heat records.

England is at it's highest alert level, France is calling it an emergency, but it's even worse in southern Europe. You may not realise this, but London is north of Calgary...

“The chances of seeing 40°C [104 degrees] days in the U.K. could be as much as 10 times more likely in the current climate than under a natural climate unaffected by human influence,” said Nikos Christidis, a climate attribution scientist at the Met Office. “The likelihood of exceeding 40°C anywhere in the U.K. in a given year has also been rapidly increasing.."

In addition to the central U.S. and western Europe, central Asia is also baking. In other words, three exceptional heat waves are affecting the Northern Hemisphere."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/climate- ... ecords-uk/

Welcome to 200 days in the year here in kangaroo-ville. I'm flying to Nepal start of December returning end of Feb to escape the worst of it. I'll also be in Thailand for a while @Godstud. Cheapest most direct air route from Sydney to Kathmandu is via Bangkok. I'll stop by Bangkok for a week, proceed to nepal for 1.5 months and then on my way back to sydney I will stop by bangkok again for 3 weeks at least, probably spend most of that in pattaya for you know, highly legitimate reasons.

Nepal at -5C and under will be damn sweet, summer here in Australia is hell and always was. It's not the mere heat, it's the heat + 98% humidity + bugs
By Godstud
Don't stop in Thailand. Thais are nice people and don't deserve you. :p
By Godstud
If you're too hot, wherever you are, get a nice big stew pot. Put some water in it with ice. Soak your feet in it and sit with a fan on ya. It'll cool you down a lot.

That or put the shower on cool water and just lie down there.

Note: Having AC is nice, but in most places where it rarely gets hot like that, most people don't invest in them.
By Rancid
Godstud wrote:That or put the shower on cool water and just lie down there.

Many places experiencing the heatwave are also in droughts. Probably not a good idea to waste water.
By Igor Antunov
Godstud wrote:Don't stop in Thailand. Thais are nice people and don't deserve you. :p

Their fate is sealed.

Godstud wrote:Note: Having AC is nice, but in most places where it rarely gets hot like that, most people don't invest in them.

This is true.

The solution is simple; don't be a pussy. Just deal with it (by traveling to Nepal).
By Potemkin
Igor Antunov wrote:Welcome to 200 days in the year here in kangaroo-ville. I'm flying to Nepal start of December returning end of Feb to escape the worst of it. I'll also be in Thailand for a while @Godstud. Cheapest most direct air route from Sydney to Kathmandu is via Bangkok. I'll stop by Bangkok for a week, proceed to nepal for 1.5 months and then on my way back to sydney I will stop by bangkok again for 3 weeks at least, probably spend most of that in pattaya for you know, highly legitimate reasons.

Nepal at -5C and under will be damn sweet, summer here in Australia is hell and always was. It's not the mere heat, it's the heat + 98% humidity + bugs

That’s why the British used it as a penal colony. Almost nobody wanted to go there voluntarily. A bit like Siberia, but too hot instead of too cold. Voluntarily migrating to Australia is like voluntarily migrating to Siberia. And, even worse, it’s full of Australians. Lol.
By late
Igor Antunov wrote:
Their fate is sealed.

This is true.

The solution is simple; don't be a pussy. Just deal with it (by traveling to Nepal).

If a few hundred million summered in Nepal, you would hate it.

After a few million pussies showed up, they'd close the airport to inbound traffic.

Antarctica would still be possible...
By Igor Antunov
late wrote:If a few hundred million summered in Nepal, you would hate it.

After a few million pussies showed up, they'd close the airport to inbound traffic.

Antarctica would still be possible...

A few million will never show up because Nepal is known for its hiking trails and mountainous terrain. Since 99% of tourists are fat or lazy cunts this influx will never happen.
By AFAIK
Potemkin wrote:That’s why the British used it as a penal colony. Almost nobody wanted to go there voluntarily. A bit like Siberia, but too hot instead of too cold. Voluntarily migrating to Australia is like voluntarily migrating to Siberia. And, even worse, it’s full of Australians. Lol.

Some people enjoyed Australia so much they wrote letters home recommending it and people deliberately committed crimes because 5 years of labour in exchange for a new life was worth it. Probably depends on what part of the country you end up in but New South Wales was a popular destination.

I'm happy to see heat waves getting the attention they deserve. They have death rates over a thousand times higher than floods but don't get much news coverage because those people die invisibly at home and there's no easy image like fallen trees or flooded roads to print or broadcast.

The 2003 European heat wave led to what was, at the time, the hottest summer on record in Europe since at least 1540. France was hit especially hard. The heat wave led to health crises in several countries and combined with drought to create a crop shortfall in parts of Southern Europe. Peer-reviewed analysis places the European death toll at more than 70,000. The UN Office for Disaster Risk Reduction estimated 72,000 deaths related to the event.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_European_heat_wave

No, I am not talking to a person who gives decent[…]

Again, conspiracy theories about Jewish domina[…]

In 1900, Europe had THREE TIMES the population of […]

@Rancid it's hard to know, we'd need to see how […]