Germany finally ends nuclear energy, Finland just turned on biggest nuclear plant in Europe - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Germany Finally Pulls The Plug On Nuclear

The on again off again political power play is finally over in Germany as its last three nuclear power plants are shut down forever.

--------
As of midnight, Germany's smoking towers of Isar 2, Neckarwestheim 2, and Emsland have been closed. They comprised roughly 4,055 megawatts or 6% of Germany's total energy generation, forcing Berlin to hunt for alternatives as energy costs remain high across much of Europe.

Germany's efforts to close its final nuclear power plants were stymied after Russia's invasion of Ukraine prompted Berlin to cut off fossil fuel imports from Russia. The move caused energy prices to skyrocket and coincided with shortages across Europe.

At one point, Germany planned to shutter the three final reactors by the end of last year, but German Chancellor Olaf Scholz extended the plants' life to mid-April amid concerns about limited energy supply.

Other European nations have begun ramping up nuclear power exposure as a fossil fuel alternative, including France, which generates more than 70% of its power from nuclear.

Meanwhile, Germany's coal burning soared to the highest rate in nearly six years, according to data from the site Electricity Maps.

(Germany shutters last nuclear power plants amid European energy crisis, Washington Examiner, Ryan King, April 15, 2023 )

Meanwhile, Finland has just brought online a nuclear reactor, the biggest in Europe

Finland’s much-delayed and costly new nuclear reactor, Europe’s most powerful by production capacity, has completed a test phase lasting more than a year and started regular output, boosting the Nordic country’s electricity self-sufficiency significantly.

The Olkiluoto 3 reactor, which has 1,600-megawatt capacity, was connected into the Finnish national power grid in March 2022 and kicked off regular production on Sunday. Operator Teollisuuden Voima, or TVO, tweeted that “Olkiluoto 3 is now ready” after a delay of 14 years from the original plan.

The Olkiluoto 3 is Western Europe’s first new reactor in more than 15 years. Nuclear power remains a controversial issue in Europe.

The unit is expected to meet around 14% of Finland's electricity demand, reducing the need for imports from Sweden and Norway.

"The production of Olkiluoto 3 stabilises the price of electricity and plays an important role in the Finnish green transition," [the power plant's operator] TVO Chief Executive Jarmo Tanhua said a statement.

(After 18 years, Europe's largest nuclear reactor starts regular output, Reuters, Essi Lehto, April 15, 2023 )
Humanity has to build a few dozen nuke reactors to significantly reduce carbon emissions.

Scientists recently discovered massive sinkholes in Siberia. These are deeper than the permafrost we've been worried about.

We're worried about the massive amounts of carbon in the peramfrost, which is no longer perma, and not always frosty...

But these sinkholes are exposing carbon that is millions of years old, and represent a whole new level of threat.
late wrote:Humanity has to build a few dozen nuke reactors to significantly reduce carbon emissions.

Well, plenty of other Greenies disagree with you.

If it were up to me, I'd build a gigantic nuclear power plant out in the middle of a desert or cold barren tundra, away from any body of water and far away from where anyone lives, and then use special high-tech superconductive power lines to transport that power into the populated areas where it is needed.
Puffer Fish wrote:
Well, plenty of other Greenies disagree with you.

If it were up to me, I'd build a gigantic nuclear power plant out in the middle of a desert or cold barren tundra, away from any body of water and far away from where anyone lives, and then use special high-tech superconductive power lines to transport that power into the populated areas where it is needed.

You have an apparently endless supply of fantasies.

Maybe I'll explain it manana. You seriously need to learn.

@FiveofSwords " chimpanzee " Having[…]

@Rancid They, the dogs, don't go crazy. They s[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]