Failure is not an option - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Pollution, global warming, urbanisation etc.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Did anyone happen to catch [i]Failure Is Not An Option[/] on the history channel this week. It was about the mission control operators during the Apollo space program. Thought it was pretty interesting. Any comments on this or the US space program in general?
By Nox
NASA 2003 is not equal to NASA 1963.

Oh the perils of a bureuacracy.

Nox
By briansmith
I didn't see the program, but I do think it's rather absurd that we treat our space program so poorly. People make mistakes! Engineers make miscalculations, controllers give the wrong coordinates, whatever... everybody screws up sometimes, and it's unfortunate that NASA is under such heavy scrutiny and criticism for making a mistake.

Those men and women on that shuttle, Columbia, knew full well that they could die on the mission. They were trained to handle the flight and all related procedures, and I am certain they understood the potential consequences of a mistake either on the ground or up in the shuttle. These people were tremendously brave for going up there, and it is unfortunate that they have been taken from us; however, the best solution is not to say "sorry, no more funding - you screwed up!" The best solution is to say, "In the honor of those who gave their lives for this program, we shall retool, improve, and move on."

That's just, personally, what I think. The federal bureaucrats probably know just about nothing as far as what it takes to make NASA work and be successful, yet they are in charge of appropriating funds. If they don't like it, they don't vote for it - and they don't have to understand it either. I think it's really unfortunate, but until our legislators start listening to NASA and taking their word for what they truly need in order to operate in excellence, this kind of thing may happen again.
By Demosthenes
I agree completely. It is ultimately the beurocrats faults for letting NASA deterioriate so badly. I don't blame anyone inside NASA for these latest problems. They don't get the support they need from anybody but themselves and those individuals who sympathize with their mission. I look at them like I look at our military personel, our intelligence people, or even the mailmen (don't laugh, I'm serious) with respect.
By Odiseizam
Demosthenes wrote:They don't get the support they need from anybody but themselves and those individuals who sympathize with their mission

this sounds like they are working for free :)

https://history.nasa.gov/SP-4223/ch6.htm

failure is not an option my ass, also americans “have no right to pessimism" just like everyone else in modern China! as result Elon Musk enjoy the show like no else ...

... the optimistic question is - are they all mislead about the true end of Apollo mission, hm, if there was long secrete UAVs program [1] why not to assume that nasa didnt have secrete spacecrafts [1][1]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong??? […]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Only Zionists believe that bollocks and you lot ar[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]