Best weapon to protect your household with - Page 10 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By ingliz
As a back up weapon why not?, but give me a double stack extended mag semi auto everytime unless a mag fed tactical shotgun is handy.
By mindquake
Bunch of well trained German Shepherds.

And this

Flamethrowers have not been in the U.S. arsenal since 1978, when the Department of Defense unilaterally stopped using them. They have been deemed of questionable effectiveness in today's combat and use of flame weapons is always a public relations issue due to the horrific death they inflict.
By Dr House
Zerogouki wrote:How often does a SIG Sauer or Glock fail due to spring fatigue? Were our boys in Korea and Vietnam coming back bitching about how unreliable the Colt M1911A1 was? No? Then you can take your revolvers and shove them up your cowboy arse.

You fail at reading comprehension. Again.

We're not talking about going hot into a fucking battlefield with a well-maintained weapon you just loaded. We're talking about a weapon being kept loaded in a gun safe for weeks and weeks just in case it's ever needed. You ever seen a spring after it's been kept continuously compressed for weeks at a time?
By Zerogouki
Zero, there is a reason why revolvers are still being produced to this day

Yeah, because people don't know any better :lol:

We're not talking about going hot into a fucking battlefield with a well-maintained weapon you just loaded.

Soldiers don't put the ammo in their mags until they go into a firefight? This is new...

You ever seen a spring after it's been kept continuously compressed for weeks at a time?

Yeah. Not much happens.
By War Angel
Zero, there is a reason why revolvers are still being produced to this day..

Fashion. They look cool. They are not used outside the USA - for anything.

You ever seen a spring after it's been kept continuously compressed for weeks at a time?

Yes. Plenty of times. The spring is in the magazine - you can replace that, also.
By Huntster
How often does a SIG Sauer or Glock fail due to spring fatigue?

More often than with revolvers.

Were our boys in Korea and Vietnam coming back bitching about how unreliable the Colt M1911A1 was? No?

No, because their sidearms were in much more active use than one sitting in a nightstand for a few years waiting for the boogerman to show up.

Then you can take your revolvers and shove them up your cowboy arse.

My, my, aren't we sensitive and in love with our semi-autos?

BTW, I carry a semi-auto, but also shoot it regularly in practice.
By Rancid
No, because their sidearms were in much more active use than one sitting in a nightstand for a few years waiting for the boogerman to show up.

so long as you keep your firearm clean and maintained. It shouldn't be a problem.
By Huntster

so long as you keep your firearm clean and maintained. It shouldn't be a problem.

Cleaned and maintained does not address the possibility of magazine spring fatigue unless the magazine is switched regularly, with the previous magazine emptied. It's also critical to buy only the best magazines. I've had problems with this in the past. Being cheap, I bought a few cheap magazines for my 1911 at a gun show at a good price. Later, at a very expensive defensive handgun training course, they repeatedly failed.

No more. Only the best magazines for me.
By Rancid
Cleaned and maintained does not address the possibility of magazine spring fatigue unless the magazine is switched regularly, with the previous magazine emptied. It's also critical to buy only the best magazines. I've had problems with this in the past. Being cheap, I bought a few cheap magazines for my 1911 at a gun show at a good price. Later, at a very expensive defensive handgun training course, they repeatedly failed.

No more. Only the best magazines for me.

I would include changing out magazine because of the spring as maintenance. I certainly do not deny that you must absolutely maintain a semi-auto well.
By Godstud
2 important items for home protection

1. Bear Traps
2. Broadsword

Bear traps and 4 feet of steel to slide into their guts while they are trying to free themselves.
By Zerogouki

"Twice nothing is still nothing" - something I learned from The Trouble with Tribbles.

All guns should be fired regularly just to be sure that they still work :)
By Huntster

"Twice nothing is still nothing" - something I learned from The Trouble with Tribbles.

Are you attempting to posit that magazine spring fatigue leading to feeding problems and jams does not occur?

All guns should be fired regularly just to be sure that they still work

Firearms should be fired regularly in order for the operator to maintain proficiency.

If one must fire it regularly to ensure it still works, you need to obtain more dependable firearms.
By Godstud
If one must fire it regularly to ensure it still works, you need to obtain more dependable firearms.

Hence why some people prefer revolvers. Revolvers are the simplest and most reliable firearms to operate.
By Zerogouki
Are you attempting to posit that magazine spring fatigue leading to feeding problems and jams does not occur?

No. What I'm positing is that they don't occur often enough with proper maintenance to be a major concern.

Flintlocks are the simplest and most reliable firearms to operate.

Fixed :)
By Godstud
Flintlocks were NOT reliable.
By Voltaire
Godstud wrote:Flintlocks were NOT reliable.

Yea but they give you a +5 badass factor.

I thought this thread was dead, anyways I still stand with the best weapon to protect your household with is a shot gun.
By Godstud
Says you. Were you around during the 1700s?

In a previous life, yes. As a matter of fact I was a guy who died because his flintlock pistol failed to shoot and so I was sliced open by a cutlass.

It's quite well known that the reason for changing from flintlock to percussion caps was due to reliability issues.
By Godstud
:p
(This is not a one line post)

The October 7 attack may constitute an act of atte[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]