What kind of bomb is it? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By War Angel
I don't what that specific munition is, but it resembles smoke shells used by Israel.
By Douglas
It appears to be the alleged white phosphorus type munitions.
By Noelnada
White phosphorus (WP) is a flare- and smoke-producing incendiary device[1] or smoke-screening agent that is made from a common allotrope of the chemical element phosphorus. White phosphorus bombs and shells are incendiary weapons, but can also be used as offensive anti-personnel flame compounds capable of causing serious burns or death.[2] The agent is used in bombs, artillery, and mortars, short-range missiles which burst into burning flakes of phosphorus upon impact. White phosphorus is commonly referred to in military jargon as "WP". The slang term "Willy(ie) Pete" or "Willy(ie) Peter", dating from World War I and common at least through the Vietnam War, is still occasionally heard.

White phosphorus weapons are controversial today because of their potential use against civilians. While the Chemical Weapons Convention does not designate WP as a chemical weapon, various groups consider it to be one. In recent years, the United States, Israel, and Russia have used white phosphorus in combat.

Link

It is considered illegal according to international laws and treaties to use it against civilians.

Because it can burns seriously :

(picture from Lebanon 2006)
[ Explicit Image Warning: Burned to death. ]
By Douglas
It is considered illegal according to international laws and treaties to use it against civilians.

That's not saying much as it is illegal to use any weapon against civilians.
By Noelnada
That's not saying much as it is illegal to use any weapon against civilians.

Good point.
By War Angel

It's perfectly legal.
By Douglas
It's perfectly legal.

That depends upon the way in which it is used.
By War Angel
Its not legal to use WP as a chemcial weapon against civilians, it is legal to use it as a screen to cover troops and so on, as Isreal declares to use it.

The type Israel used in Gaza would make for very poor chemical weapons, as the phosphorous ingredient in them is minimal. They are referred to and used as smoke-shells, for cover etc.
By Douglas
The type Israel used in Gaza would make for very poor chemical weapons

You don't need to use them as chemical weapons to make their use illegal.
By War Angel
I suppose that when the consequences are this (Gaza 2009):

Dunno where that picture's from, or what caused the flames. Proves nothing, and good for nothing but disgracing the dead and wounded - which seems to be a habit for you...

It is considered as illegal.

Nope. Still very much legal. :)
By Captain Sam
It is considered as illegal.

Since when did phosphorus cause people to spontaneously combust?
By MB.
Dropping WP on a heavily populated urban civilian neighborhood is despicable.

Anyway, WP has been in use for more than half a century. It is only as much a chemical weapon as Napalm, or the Hollow Core / shaped charge munition.

In war it has its use. However, politicians have felt it expedient to describe WP employment against civilians as inhumane (ala the Geneva Convention). I am inclined to agree.

If you were covered by large amounts of the chemical, or trapped by debris, or partially nude, it would be quite possible to be severly burned, possibly to death, by its properties. Victims of WP attacks are not pretty.
By Potemkin

Did you doze off during chemistry lessons at school? :eh:
By Captain Sam
Did you doze off during chemistry lessons at school?

Har har.
I'm talking about smoke grenades. They don't magically set people on fire.
By Douglas

Hot stuff does tend to set things on fire, clothes for example. White phosphorous when deployed in this fashion tends to be quite hot.

Also you don't need to fire to cause burns, WP again is capable of this.

And it isn't just a smoke grenade, not only is that not it's only means of delivery it also has many other uses.
By guzzipat

Har har.

Israel uses WP shells, they probbaly use grenades too but only at close quarters.

Phosphorus burns when exposed to air, it can't be extinguished. When it hits people it sticks to the flesh, it will burn clear through to the bone, The only way of stopping it is to cut away the flesh affected.

That is why it is banned under international treaties for use as anything other than an obscurant or marking. It's use, not just against civilians but against any target close to civilian dwellings and infrastucture is illegal. Even the use against enemy troops is of questional validity.

Having said that I think applying "rules" to war is a particularly silly attitude. No ammount of rules or prescritions on how we kill make war anything more than collective madness. What difference between burning people or blowing off limbs with high explosive shells?
I tend to view rules and law applied to war as little more than a silly attempt to make such activities acceptable.

The October 7 attack may constitute an act of att[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]