Best weapon to protect your household with - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Evilive
The problem with a standard shotgun is you have only one shot and then you must cock it.

However they have a shotgun now that is fully automatic and can fire 20 rounds before needing to change the clip.
By Michaeluj
A dog small enough to fit in a portable cannon.

Also, put something explosive inside the dog.

BOOOM!!
Last edited by Michaeluj on 27 Feb 2009 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
By Kiroff
Saiga-12?
By Captain Sam
My parents keep really, really big knives in the tables by their beds.
I have an aluminium bat in my closet.

However, I've never had to worry about the house being broken into. I live in a great suburban neighbourhood. I've never even heard of anyone getting robbed or having their house broken into.

My mom is paranoid. We have a security system, and double-bolt lock doors.
By Gletkin
My first thought was shotgun as well.
Although they also make "shotshells" for handguns.

In case you're facing some kind of hulk though, a shotgun might be better. Some recommend loading it so that the first round or so is non-lethal (like a bean-bag round) and the rest buckshot.
By Rancid
The problem with a standard shotgun is you have only one shot and then you must cock it.

However they have a shotgun now that is fully automatic and can fire 20 rounds before needing to change the clip.

actually, most shotguns have two shots, and you don't have to reload in between each on.

Pump actions can hold more than two, but have to be pumped between each shot.

I'm not a fan of shotguns for home defense. I'm a fan of the M1911 and use JHP ammo with it:

you'd have to shop around for a good 1911 though.
By Little von
I have always relied on my 12 gauge pump with the barrel cut down to minimum legal length. This keeps me out of trouble with the law, yet allows the maximum spread of pattern with the shell pellets. #6 shot lead (#4 steel) is all the heavier you want to use in a family home. Especially one with simple dry wall for interior scathing. Even the 6 shot might blow right through both panels of dry wall at close, point blank range. At the ranges found inside a home, the 6 shot will give you more than enough stopping power.

I also extended the tube on my shotgun so that it will hold seven, 2 3/4" shells, instead of the usual 5. If you leave the barrel a little longer, you could extend the tube to hold nine shells, but I like the shorter weapon for its handling and quick pointing characteristics in crowded home interiors.
By Verv
I would get a handgun that has a lot of bullets; keep it next to your bed; wake up, blast.

Have a dog to alert you.

Or invite War Angel to live in your home; just let him get whatever he needs and pay him a small stipend to stay up all night using his Israeli war tactics to defend your quarters.

If you offered me enough money, I could come over, too; we could patrol your neighborhood and clean it up, one 7.62 round at a time; killing scum. Oh, yeah.

Next fanfic may be War Angel & Verv vigilante story.
By Tailz
All I have are my two swords.

"They don't like the cold steel up em!" :D
By Verv
lol talez....

You can yell, "Taste my ___country of origin for the steel, in adjective form___ Steeeeeelll!"

(or you could insert your ethnic heritage's country to make you feel a greater sense of pride in oneself and one's roots, and just pretend they were not cheaply manufactured in a place you have no interest in visiting... Or perhaps these really a nice swords. IDK. You decide, just like it were the MTV Viewer's Choice Awards).
By Voltaire
Evilive wrote:The problem with a standard shotgun is you have only one shot and then you must cock it. .

My shotty is semi auto matic, I have a hunting shotgun *12 gauge and my home shotgun *20 gauge. The 20 gauge has been stripped out so it can hold 8 shells (including one in the chamber).

If I have to use more than 8 shells... fuck that
By Le Rouge
Realistically, the best defenses are a baseball bat, a dog, or a pistol.
By Voltaire
Le Rouge wrote:Realistically, the best defenses are a baseball bat, a dog, or a pistol.

Dog- fine untill it gets shot or beat by the intruder

baseball bat- also fine, unless the intruder has a gun

pistol- possibly a good choice depending on the caliber, you dont want to be blazing with a Deagle when you got your little sister in the next room :knife:
By Le Rouge
Well, a handgun. A shot gun is only useful is the intruder is a couple blocks away.
By Voltaire
A solid .38 would do the job. If you know how to use it.

Le Rouge wrote: A shot gun is only useful is the intruder is a couple blocks away.

:lol:

Not sure what you mean by that, the only thing a 20 gauge shotgun would do at that distance shooting steel shot would be potentially pepper him.
By Kon
Junior sized aluminium baseball bat, small enough to wield in close quarters (eg. Apartment kitchen) yet still packs a punch.

I also have an 8 inch Swiss army dagger, and an antique schimitar I inherited.
By Mazhi
It never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to get a gun in the US. I couldn't get one here legally no matter what.

IIRC, we also went through that. And I recall I a[…]

I respect the hustle. But when it comes to FAFSA […]

'State of panic' as Putin realises he cannot wi[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]