Warbots - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Nattering Nabob
The link is to a presentation given to the US military academy at West Point by P.W. Singer author of Wired for War:The Robotics Revolution and Conflict in the 21st Century

Link

It's 52 minutes long and well worth watching...don't let the first three minutes fool you...

No more draft...no more coffins...just the 19 year old high school dropout piloting a Predator drone who was "more sucessfull than every single F-15 pilot combined"...
By Typhoon
Not keen on his presentation style, too many pop cult references for me...

Good overview of the issues surrounding unmanned vehicles, though perhaps it stresses the importance of robitics to the future of warfare a little tpp much. Platforms like predator etc have gained a lot of support due to the nature of the conflicts the US has found itself in but for future warfare perhaps like the missile in the 1950's it is the robots false dawn?
By Dave
The Predator is mostly not a very good system at all. It's much more expensive (both cap-ex and op-ex) than a manned aircraft of comparable performance, suffers from mysterious crashes, and has very poor situational awareness compared to a manned aircraft. Its mission would be much more effectively accomplished by grasshopper aircraft.
By Douglas
Don't UAVs have a failure rate of 33% per mission? It's a terrible waste of money.

Wars will never be fought with robots because wars are won when you either inflict or show you have the overwhleming power to inflict massive human casualties? Noone is going to surrender because you broke up a few bits of metal and silicon.
By Thunderhawk
The hardware of modern warfare Robots have developed a great deal, not just refinements but new technological steps aswell, missile to multi head ICBMs to UAVs. But the software development has not kept up. Code has become larger, more complex and refined, but its still limited to expectation made when it was coded. Software that can figure things out on its own is pittifully low in its development and still new, while AI capable of actually learning and dealing with situations not programemd into it, are dreams.
By MB.
Hey thanks for the link Naybob!
By Noelnada
How do i download this ? :|

Yeah, I'm in Maine. I have met Jimjam, but haven'[…]

No, you can't make that call without seeing the ev[…]

The people in the Synagogue, at Charlottesville, […]

@Deutschmania Not if the 70% are American and[…]