Guns Guns Guns - Page 7 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Brio
ingliz wrote:Bulgarian Arsenal, milled receiver, AK47 chambered for .556mm. You would think they would call it a '74 but they don't.

Why? The AK-74 is chambered for a 5.45mm round.

That's a very nice collection of firearms BTW. I take it the gun control laws in Malta are laxer than many other European countries?
By ingliz
Why? The AK-74 is chambered for a 5.45mm round.

The Bulgarians first assembled the AK74 from IZHMASH parts kits and in 1983 began building an unlicensed version of their own which, incorporating later modifications of the Russian rifle, is still manufactured today. Those mods are on the SAR-M9F, the thumb operated secondary selector switch on the left of the pistol grip, the folding stock design, and the spring loaded forend for example.

The semi-auto version is based on the Arsenal AR rifle which is an improved version of the AK-74/AKM, a la the AK-100 series. The AR series were designed with Bulgaria’s inclusion into NATO in mind, and most are chambered exclusively in 5.56mm NATO. The basic rifle looks externally almost identical to the AK-100; internally, parts have closer tolerances and the receiver is milled but using a hot die forging process which considerably reduces machining work.

This rifle is also chambered for 7.62x39mm so is that a '47 or a '74 chambered to take the '47 round? It all gets very confusing.

I take it the gun control laws in Malta are laxer than many other European countries?

I would say Malta has sensible gun control laws and a strict arms ordinance:

Automatic weapons are illegal for use at a range;

To get a licence for a rifle or pistol a background check for any evidence of criminality and mental health issues is standard;

As is an interview at the local police station;

Registration of all weapons is mandatory;

You must be a member of a bona fide gun club;

You must pass a safety course and an exam on the law;

You have to attend shoots on a regular basis or you may lose your license;

Also the police have the right to enter your home to check security and paperwork at any time and if anything is amiss they can confiscate any, or all, of your firearms on the spot.

ps. The CZ83 is a semi-automatic pistol in .32 ACP (7.65x17mm),.380 ACP (9x17mm), and 9mm Makarov (9x18mm)

The CZ85 is a variant of the CZ75 in 9mm parabellum (9x19mm)

I don't know what a CZ84 is unless it is a CZ clone, these were fairly common in the US before the collapse of the Wall.
By Rancid
Most of those requirements are fucking horrible.
By Brio
ingliz wrote:This rifle is also chambered for 7.62x39mm so is that a '47 or a '74 chambered to take the '47 round? It all gets very confusing.

That it does. This is one reason why I will usually use the more general term Kalashnikov than the more popular term (at least in North America) of AK-47, especially since most "AK-47s" are actually AKMs or Chinese/Eastern European knockoffs of AKMs.

Anyways, thanks for clearing that up.
By ingliz
since most "AK-47s" are actually AKMs or Chinese/Eastern European knockoffs of AKMs.

It gets more complicated as the Russian semi-auto IZHMASH and MOLOT Vepr use a modified RPK light machine gun receiver to achieve a greater stiffness and minimise flexing.
By Zagadka
I've been considering (saving up for, etc) getting a pistol. Nothing fancy, mainly for range shooting and, of course, to have around for defense. I was considering a CZ-75... if I can find one in the US. Steel construction, reliable 9mm.

Suggestions?
By Rancid
CZ-75 is legal in California now?
By Zagadka
Um, dunno. I've never bought a gun, just use my dad's. What would be a legal equiv? I stopped in a local gun shop and asked, the guy didn't know what a CZ-75 was. But there is a monthly large gun meet locally.

I currently have a legal hitch I'm working on (long story), so I can't really find out.
By ingliz
The CZ75 is legal in California, it is on the "Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale"

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/
By ingliz
I would suggest a Glock 17/19C, steel/polymer construction, or, my personal favourite, the Gl34 if you are not fussed about size, but the CZ is a fine weapon, and if that is what you want, buy it.

Can you try before you buy in the US?
By ingliz
CZ85?

The vz. 58 is a 7.62mm assault rifle that bears a superficial resemblance to the Soviet AK. The Cz858 is a semiautomatic variant of this weapon.
By Huntster
I was considering a CZ-75... if I can find one in the US. Steel construction, reliable 9mm.

Suggestions?

A true CZ is an outstanding piece.

But there are "copycats" out there that people call "CZ". I have one. It's a Tanfoglio Witness in 45 ACP. It's a "CZ clone". It works fine, but it isn't a true CZ (Ceska zbrojovka Uhersky Brod (CZUB) from the Czech Republic).

I am not claiming that there are zero genetic dif[…]

Customs is rarely nice. It's always best to pack l[…]

The more time passes, the more instances of harass[…]

And I don't blame Noam Chomsky for being a falli[…]