Am I crazy? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Wolfman
Or is the weapon in this video a variant of the M4, and not an M16?

After watching the video, go to the 'view all comments' page, and go to the bottom. Somewhere around the bottom a guy named 'wolfenman08' (yes, that is me) explains his view on the video, and then gets a few replies from the video poster. Some rude comments aside, he followed me randomly into another video, wierdo, right?

Anyways, the rifle in the video is an M4 variant, yes?
Last edited by Wolfman on 25 Aug 2009 19:02, edited 1 time in total.
By Wolfman
No seriously people, the rifle in that video is an M4, not an M16, right?

I don't give a damn about the 'my rifle is better then yours' debate, I want to know that I'm not crazy and that is an M4.
By Oxymoron
Its not a M16 thats for sure, it looks like a M4 to me.
By Brio
It looks like an M4 variant to me as it looks to small to be an M16 variant.

However, you being correct on this doesn't mean you aren't crazy. ;)
By War Angel
Anyways, the rifle in the video is an M4 variant, yes?

Yes, it looks like an M4. Definitely not a full-size M16.

Also, he's reloading in a weird way... he's supposed to press that lever on the left side of the rifle (opposite to where the rounds come out, I've no idea what it's called in English) after releasing the empty magazine and putting a new one in. He's not - instead, he cocks the rifle, even though he's just fired it. Redundant and slow.
By Wolfman
Hilariously, he claims to be a Former Marine. I really doubt it, since in the video he followed me to he blamed a double feed on a bad round. That makes no sense at all.
By War Angel
since in the video he followed me to he blamed a double feed on a bad round. That makes no sense at all.

Nope. Nothing comes out, meaning, no misfeed. He just doesn't know how to properly reload an M16. :)
By Wolfman

In the description the poster says they had a double feed. Gunnerrunerusa blamed the mag exploding on a bad reload.
By War Angel
In the description the poster says they had a double feed. Gunnerrunerusa blamed the mag exploding on a bad reload.

:lol: :lol:

Well, he messed around with it too much. The M16 is notoriously unreliable, and stuff like that... happens. When it does, you need to take out the mag, cock the rifle a few times, check the mag and the rounds, and then load and cock the rifle again. If it still doesn't work - take a different mag, and\or change your weapon.
By Wolfman
It's only unreliable if you don't keep it clean. The only problems I've had with an M16 (keep in mind I'm used to using rifles that are easily 20 years old) are caused by the magazine not wanting to stay in unless really smacked it.

And the official way to deal with a double feed: New magazine and give the bad one to the armorers.
By War Angel
It's only unreliable if you don't keep it clean.

Its parts wear down very fast. Also, cleanliness should have no effect on the reliability of a rifle, unless we're talking serious gunk, mud, sand, ants, cockroaches...

The only problems I've had with an M16 (keep in mind I'm used to using rifles that are easily 20 years old) are caused by the magazine not wanting to stay in unless really smacked it.

Aye - and if fed improperly, will cause the rifle not to grab rounds, or simply misfeed\double\triple feed the barrel... and then, funky shit happens. :)

And the official way to deal with a double feed: New magazine and give the bad one to the armorers.

Not quite going to work in a fire-fight. I want a rifle that works 99.9% of the time, and the missing percentage is because I did something wrong, not the manufacturers of the weapon.

Newer M4s are more reliable, mostly because because they're new, but some modifications have been made, and it's a rougher gun altogether.
By Wolfman
Its parts wear down very fast. Also, cleanliness should have no effect on the reliability of a rifle, unless we're talking serious gunk, mud, sand, ants, cockroaches...

Wear down is unavoidable. The only thing you could really do is to get your weapon checked out with the armorer (as far as I'm aware). I know people that have had problems with shells not ejecting all the way if they don't clean there weapon. Small things like that is what I was referring to.

triple feed

:eh:
Thats one I've never heard of

Not quite going to work in a fire-fight.

Whats so hard about going on one knee and pulling out a new mag?
By War Angel
Wear down is unavoidable.

Yes - after many years and hundreds of thousands of rounds.

I know people that have had problems with shells not ejecting all the way if they don't clean there weapon. Small things like that is what I was referring to.

That is not a 'small thing' when it happens in the few crucial milli-seconds you need your rifle to function.

Thats one I've never heard of

I was joking. ;)

Whats so hard about going on one knee and pulling out a new mag?

That you're not busy firing at the enemy? That you've left your friends uncovered? That you're busy dealing with sub-standard equipment instead of fighting?

A weapon must NEVER break down or malfunction, unless in really bad condition. A new weapon should ideally fire 1000-2000 rounds without needing any sort of cleaning. The AK family guns can do it, and so can the M60.
By Wolfman
That is not a 'small thing' when it happens in the few crucial milli-seconds you need your rifle to function.

Yes, but whats worse, a few milisecs ejecting a shell, or dealing with the magazine blowing up in your face? It's small in comparison to other things that can happen from things like idiocy and messed up parts.
By War Angel
Yes, but whats worse, a few milisecs ejecting a shell, or dealing with the magazine blowing up in your face? It's small in comparison to other things that can happen from things like idiocy and messed up parts.

... so, better move up to something a little more durable than the M16, or replace the ones you've got after a few thousand rounds have been fired. Or get dead while trying to deal with a jam. ;)
By Zerogouki
I feel like mentioning that "maintenance" is not restricted to cleaning... it's also important to check your springs and o-rings and shit for damage, and replace them when necessary...
By War Angel
I feel like mentioning that "maintenance" is not restricted to cleaning... it's also important to check your springs and o-rings and shit for damage, and replace them when necessary...

That's part of the cleaning routine.

I'm not aware of a single country that seriously […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We don't walk away from our allies says Genocide […]

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]