Considering buying a handgun - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Mostly for home defense. Points to keep in mind before giving suggestions:
* Cost is definitly a problem
* I may be able to take a 9 mm or 45 cal over sees if deployed (I've heard conflicting answers)
* I'd perfer a weapon that is relativily easy to breakdown/clean/reassemble

In general, a starter 9 mm or 45 cal.
By Wolfman
I'm a Federal Employee. I cann't begin to tell you how much trouble I'd be in for trying that.
By Igor Antunov
There are such things as secrets. Just pray you never have to use an illegal firearm for defense :lol:

Well, are handguns really that expensive? If it's under $1000, what's so expensive about that? It's a once off thing, and you don't have to spend money on maintenance, it's a gun. How much does it cost to obtain a licence, or do you already have one?
By Wolfman
If it's under $1000, whats so expesive about that?

I just wanted to make sure that no one suggested the M16 of handguns. Perfect, but insanely expensive. Not to mention, my current yearly income is a glorious $3,000. There's a reason I'm looking for a civilian job. But, still, I'd like to keep any weapon purchases on the cheap side.
By Huntster
I may be able to take a 9 mm or 45 cal over sees if deployed (I've heard conflicting answers)

My understanding is that few on deployment are authorized to bring their own sidearms. Usually it's just Special Forces, but I suspect some officers can pull it off.

I really prefer top-quality revolvers for home defense. First, they're less expensive. Secondly, I think they're more reliable, especially if you're considering a lesser quality autoloader, and also if you're going to have it sitting loaded for a long period of time (no magazine spring fatigue in a revolver). Thirdly, they aren't as "ugly" to a jury (criminal or civil) if you have to use it. Lastly, the Sanow/Marshall study demonstrated that the #1 single-shot stopper is the 357 magnum Federal 125 grain hollow point (96% one-shot-stop rate). And you can even practice with it with cheaper 38 ammo.

Later I'll post a photo of "Baby"; my own favorite carry revolver. She was cheap, even after customizing.
By Wolfman
My understanding is that few on deployment are authorized to bring their own sidearms. Usually it's just Special Forces, but I suspect some officers can pull it off.

I've been told a dozen different things by everyone from PFC to SSGT. I'm not going to worry about it until I'm actually getting deployed, but I'd still like to try to get a 9mm or 45 cal, since that is standard issue anyways.

also if you're going to have it sitting loaded for a long period of time

Thats the major advantage of a Revolver over a more standard handgun. And one that I don't need to worry about. If I do get a handgun, I plan on firing atleast once a week.
By Nattering Nabob
If you are really serious about home defense you need a shotgun...

And outside lights and a dog that barks....
By Huntster
Ruger SP-101, 357 magnum, 2.5" barrel. Total weight as is, loaded: 27 oz.

Weapon price, new in the mid-1990's: $333

Hogue grip: $35

Custom gunsmithing:
Hammer bobbed: $50
Smooth & Tune double action trigger job: $75 (and I do mean damned smooth..............)
Tritium Night Front Sight (glows in the dark): $100

Total price: $593

The "tab" you see sticking out of the grip was a sheet of stainless steel cut, bent, and filed smooth by Your's Truly. It costed nothing (I got a piece of scrap sheet from a mechanical contractor). I cut and filed it to fit the side of the grip frame with the tab to stick out so it grabs the waistband of my pants. No holster needed. It can be tucked equally in crossdraw or strong side fashion. It is "mostly" concealed, even with no jacket. I can run, jump, crawl around in the woods, and she stays right there.

I have a S&W 629 in 44 magnum with a 4" barrel. I've had it for decades, primarily as an outdoors sidearm while fishing. I got real tired of it holstered up, tugging my pants down all the time, and weighing in (loaded) at over 50 oz.

I finally realized (actually, taught at Gunsite and Thunder Ranch) that a sidearm is what you carry on your person in order to fight your way back to your rifle, which is the proper tool to kill opponents with (especially if one is discussing bears). So, since I always have a rifle nearby (especially when hunting, fishing, camping, etc), I realized I didn't need that heavy hogleg catching brush, grabbing camp chairs, etc.

That's when I built "Baby"..........................

She's been my favorite carry gun ever since.....................until lately...............................(she still goes everywhere with me when in the outdoors)
By Wolfman
I think I said something about 9 mm or 45 Cal because I may be able to take with me to Iraq/Afghanistan... Either way, do you have any info on effective range or accuracy? Break in rounds? Average life expectancy? Ease of disassemble/clean/reassemble?
By Huntster
do you have any info on effective range or accuracy?

Not as good as a match grade Kimber, but better than low cost autoloaders (I've got a couple of those, too). And often cheaper than the cheap autoloaders. With revolvers, stick to S&W and Ruger. You simply can't go wrong.

Break in rounds?

I don't bother breaking in my handguns, but rifle barrels break in properly at 50 rounds. The nice thing about 357 mag and 44 mag revolvers is that they can utilize 38 Special and 44 Special ammo for cheaper practice and the immensely more powerful magnum rounds for carry.

Average life expectancy?

Easily longer than an inexpensive autoloader.

Ease of disassemble/clean/reassemble?

Another advantage over autoloaders; no disassembly needed to clean. Simply break open the action and clean.
By Wolfman
Another advantage over autoloaders; no disassembly needed to clean

Maybe I like breaking down my weapons to clean them. Did you think about that? :lol:
By Nattering Nabob
I perfer something that can be aimed.

Shotguns can be aimed...
By Huntster
Quote:
Another advantage over autoloaders; no disassembly needed to clean

Maybe I like breaking down my weapons to clean them. Did you think about that?

Nope. I just figured you weren't all that familiar with revolvers.
By Wolfman
I'm familiar enough to know that the major advantage is that there is no spring wear, which wont be a problem. Outside that, the main reasons people buy revolvers is because they look cool.
By Huntster
In Alaska, revolvers are preferred because their cartridges are vastly more powerful than semiauto cartridges. This is primarily true because most Alaskans are concerned about aggressive bears more than aggressive humans.
By Wolfman
The most popular .50 Cal handgun is the Desert Eagle. I don't think that is a revolver. And you can buy plenty of ACP handguns in semiauto. And a 'Baghdad suburb' is a much more likely scenario for me then Alaska.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Do you really believe that America decides how Uk[…]

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipmen[…]

@Pants-of-dog it is not harassment for students […]

So do many other races and people. This genetic […]