Considering buying a handgun - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Huntster
The most popular .50 Cal handgun is the Desert Eagle. I don't think that is a revolver.

It isn't, but the .50 AE (325 gr, 1305 fps., 1229 ft.lb) can't hold a candle to the 454 Casull (400 gr, 1400 fps, 1741 ft.lb), not to mention the fact that the Desert Eagle is heavier and bulkier than the Super Redhawk and Raging Bull.

More, the .460 S&W Magnum and the .500 S&W Magnum later eclipsed the power of the Casull.

And you can buy plenty of ACP handguns in semiauto.

The Sanow/Marshall study showed that the 357 magnum is a better man stopper than the 45 ACP.

And a 'Baghdad suburb' is a much more likely scenario for me then Alaska.

Better verify that you can bring your sidearm.............
By Wolfman
It isn't, but the .50 AE (325 gr, 1305 fps., 1229 ft.lb) can't hold a candle to the 454 Casull (400 gr, 1400 fps, 1741 ft.lb), not to mention the fact that the Desert Eagle is heavier and bulkier than the Super Redhawk and Raging Bull.

I'm sorry, was I talking about effectiveness, or popularity?

The Sanow/Marshall study showed that the 357 magnum is a better man stopper than the 45 ACP.

Also exists in semi-auto

It's a better scenario because I'll never go to Alaska. I'll probably go to Iraq or Afghanistan more then once, and I might actually take a side arm.
By Huntster
Quote:
The most popular .50 Cal handgun is the Desert Eagle. I don't think that is a revolver.

I'm sorry, was I talking about effectiveness, or popularity?

Oh! I'm sorry. You were, indeed, talking popularity!

I guess I'm just funny. I don't own guns for popularity.

I want effectiveness.

Quote:

Also exists in semi-auto

Yup, and neither inexpensive or "popular" in such form.

Quote:

It's a better scenario because I'll never go to Alaska. I'll probably go to Iraq or Afghanistan more then once, and I might actually take a side arm.

I understand. And if you can get authorization to do so, I'd sure do it if I were you...............
By Wolfman
I want effectiveness.

OK. Effectivness is highly subjective.

Yup, and neither inexpensive or "popular" in such form.

That I'm not interested in 45 ACP or 357 Magnum means that is really besides the point. The only reason I brought it up is because you seem to think that the only high power rounds are for revolver only.

I understand. And if you can get authorization to do so, I'd sure do it if I were you...............

OK...................

(see, I can put a huge number of dots for no reason too)
By Zerogouki
All of the really good handguns that I can think of - the Colt O1091, the SIG Sauer SP2022, the Smith & Wesson 327 M&P TRR8, etc. - are all on the pricey side.

Although apparently, Taurus makes a clone of the Colt M1911A1 for under $600
By ingliz
A compact Glock 19C, if you value concealability, fitted with either the standard 15 or an extended 17 round magazine, and extended slide release. The standard slide release is not user friendly and is cheap to replace, as are trigger connectors. I have 3.5lbs 'target' connectors in both my Glocks.

If size isn't an issue my choice would be the full size Glock 34, with the extended 19 round magazine, and standard magazine release. I find the larger magazine gives a better balanced pistol, but that is only my preference. The extended magazine release on the other hand, as it comes out of the box, just gets in the way, so change that as it costs next to nothing.

Both are chambered for 9mm, and both are easy to strip and maintain, reliable, and accurate. They come in fetching shades of "desert sand", olive, or black, and are mid priced.

I own a 34 and a 17C and have never experienced a stoppage using quality factory ammunition. I had nothing but stoppages when using cheap 'soft' aluminium cased rounds some cheapskate had recommended, so only use quality brass.

The CZ75 SP-O1 at around $500 is a fine weapon, if you prefer all steel construction, but it is not as easy to field strip as the Glock. The release needs to be pulled out when removing the slide, and it doesn't pop out, it needs a little pursuasion. The trigger at 6lbs is also a bit heavy for my liking, 11lbs in double action, compared to the 3.5lb pull of my Glocks.
Last edited by ingliz on 31 Oct 2009 08:30, edited 1 time in total.
By Wolfman
If size isn't an issue my choice would be the full size Glock 34, fitted with the extended 19 round magazine, and standard magazine release. I find the larger magazine gives a better balanced pistol, but that is only my preference. The extended magazine release on the other hand, as fitted out of the box, just gets in the way, so change that as it costs next to nothing.

Size is not an issue. And the standard issue side arm has a decent size and weight to it. After doing some research I've fallen in love with the Beretta 9m, but I'll look at the Glock 34 as well.
By ingliz
Glock 34: unloaded 650g/23oz (magazine not fitted, empty magazine 78 grammes); loaded 975/34.5 oz

Beretta M9: unloaded 950g/34oz (empty magazine fitted); loaded 1160g/41oz

The Gl34 has a larger standard magazine capacity, the M9 packs 15 rounds, the 34 holds 17, and it is lighter by almost 1/2lb
Last edited by ingliz on 31 Oct 2009 08:26, edited 2 times in total.
By Wolfman
Weight isn't an issue either. Although the capacity difference is interesting.
By ingliz
The "Beretta" 92F is not perfect. The hard pushable trigger decreases your first shot's accuracy and the light alloys used in the pistol body and frame not only shed weight but also considerably shorten service life. Well used ones have been known to catastrophically fail
Last edited by ingliz on 30 Oct 2009 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
By ingliz
The M9 is manufactured in the United States.
By Wolfman
It's still a Beretta. Ford is made in China, but it's still a Ford.
By ingliz
The CZ75 is a much finer pistol if you are going to go for 'steel'
By ingliz
Although the capacity difference is interesting.

You can fit a 33 round magazine to all 9mm Glocks, it was originally designed to fit the Gl18 select fire. I am not sure if that's legal in some states of the US, it is legal here. :)
Last edited by ingliz on 30 Oct 2009 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
By Huntster
After doing some research I've fallen in love with the Beretta 9m

Why do you not think that you will be issued a sidearm (M9) upon deployment, and thus need to bring one with you?
By Wolfman
You can fit a 33 round magazine to all 9mm Glocks, it was originally designed to fit the Gl18 select fire. I am not sure if that's legal in some states of the US, it is legal here.

Hard to say. I haven't really investigate the legalities of such things, because I didn't even think about getting such a high capacity magazine. And because I plan on buying in-state, so any Federal and State Laws should be taken care of before I even need to worry about it.

Why do you not think that you will be issued a sidearm (M9) upon deployment, and thus need to bring one with you?

Side arms become standard issue for NCOs. I'm not an NCO and the absolute earliest I could possibly be an NCO is May. And thats a bit of a pipe dream.
By ingliz
Weight isn't an issue either

Every extra pound of weight is a problem when you have 60+lbs of kit on your back, that extra pound is 1lb less of ammo you can carry! ;)
Last edited by ingliz on 30 Oct 2009 17:00, edited 3 times in total.
By Wolfman
Well, again, I probably wont be able to take it with me, so I'm not that conscerned about weight.

Fake, it's reinvestment in communities attacked on[…]

It is not an erosion of democracy to point out hi[…]

@FiveofSwords , when do you plan to call for a r[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

There are intelligent and stupid ways to retain p[…]