Shrink shortage in the US Army? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Gletkin
W01f wrote:Are you implying that the public is going to accept military endorsement of sex slavery regardless of who their victims are or where they come from?

The remark about sex slavery in particular was obviously a joke.
But in general, yes, Americans (as with people of other First World nations I'm sure) are more tolerant of (or less upset by) shit happening to others rather than themselves. Especially when it's committed by our allies instead of directly by ourselves.
By Verv
Wolfman wrote:The problem is when you're in Iraq, Afghanistan, or in an otherwise unsafe war zone.

True.

However, they often do their best to keep shortages of needed MOSes (jobs) in places like Korea and Germany for the express purpose of having a significant amount in the warzone.
By W01f
But in general, yes, Americans (as with people of other First World nations I'm sure) are more tolerant of (or less upset by) shit happening to others rather than themselves.

I don't know what universe you live in, but that's quite the opposite of reality. Westerners more than any other people are pussified liberal crybabies who care about some starving kid in Africa more than their own neighbour. We're the only ones who actually give a crap about people in countries living half-way across the world (in part because our own problems are so moot in comparison and we feel guilty), and that's essentially why we're losing the war in Afghanistan; we're too afraid to go all in for fear of losing the public's support entirely.
By Huntster
Shrink shortage in the US Army?

I've been led to believe that the Army has "shrunk" it's number of "shrinks" by one................
By Wolfman
However, they often do their best to keep shortages of needed MOSes (jobs) in places like Korea and Germany for the express purpose of having a significant amount in the warzone.

I was not aware that there was alot of action in Korea. But, eitherway, there needs to be an increase of the number of shrinks in country. And atleast 1 per active duty battalion.
By Cartertonian
Wolfman wrote:And at least 1 per active duty battalion.
In my ideal world I'd support that - provided by 'shrink' you mean Mental Health Professional, rather than Consultant Psychiatrist, (who takes 15 years to train and who can earn a lot more in civvy street, which is why they're next to impossible to recruit).

I think in the US you guys benefit from the fact that your med services' clinical practice is not as constrained by civilian healthcare norms. Sadly, in the UK, our bean-counters look at normal practice in the NHS and expect we in the military to work within the same parameters. A UK Bn is around 800 blokes. Our MHPs - on Ops - are expected to cover 2,500. In UK, it's 3,500 per MHP.

So yeah, I'd love to allocate 1 MH asset per combat unit, but we don't have the manpower and our CoC would never support it. :hmm:
By Wolfman
I don't know much of anything about mental health systems. My reason for 1 per Battalion is to recommend to a civilian doc. Treating PTSD pateints all day every day will drive you insane. Better to spread it around.
By Cartertonian
Wolfman wrote:Treating PTSD patients all day every day will drive you insane

Hasn't done me any harm....

*Puts pencils up nose and underpants on head*...wibble!

@FiveofSwords Doesn't this 'ethnogenesis' mala[…]

Britain: Deliberately imports laborers from around[…]

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]