Bolt-action rifles - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By MB.

The coolest! The marriage between industrialization, elegance, and human interactivity has never been more pronounced and perfected (in weapon form) than in the ideal of the bolt-action rifle.
By Wolfman
I repeat:

Define 'coolest'

You haven't exactly defined yourself, sir.
By MB.
I think if you don't know what cool means it means you're not cool. :|
By Wolfman
Well, do you mean cool in the sense of:

"itz just soOo pro how awesome theis gunzZz re!!!11!!!1"

or

"there is no better designed weapon!!"
By ThereBeDragons
Why would you use one bullet from a bolt action rifle to kill someone when you could fire a whole magazine off an AK-47 and not hit anything?
By Figlio di Moros
They're pretty cool, but only when used as a sniper rifle; otherwise, I'd say automatic's the best.
By Tailz
Average engagement ranges is about 500 to 400 meters, and bolt action rifles suffer from the "Ohmygod, shot-shot-shot! *bang* fuckImissed!" reaction, thus burst fire became the "fire from the hip" preferance.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_Ut2djuT8OYk/S ... ifle-2.jpg
By MB.
A skilled lee-enfield operator could work the bolt like 10 times in ten seconds from the hip at close range, or something.

Also bolt action with adjustable range gauge iron sights are very accurate in the hands of veterans.
By Tailz
bolt action rifles were in their prime when the target was a fair distance away from you, when you needed range and accuracy - which bolt action rifles provide (which is why they are the choice of snipers). But in mobile fluid warfare, the combat ranges are closer, negating the range accuracy of a bolt action rifle such as the enfield. Plus having to operate the bolt made the rifle cumbersome and slow between shots. I think you will find the British achieved a rapid fire rate with the enfield in Shooting Range conditions, but rarely in the field. Although there is a German report (WWI I think) where a German patrol thought they had come under machine gun fire, when they were really facing a British rifle platoon.

The slow rate of fire created by having to work the bolt, is what lead to the demand for semi-automatic rifles, and eventually fully automatic rifles.

Thus why the bolt action is still to this day, the system of choice for long range accuracy, but not for the fluid mobile warrior who can not afford to stuff around with a bolt when all the other guy has to do, is point, and squeeze. This is why some snipers will often retain a secondary semi/auto-matic rifle as part of their kit for when they are on the move.
By Dave
Apparently no one understands what coolest means.

I have a Swedish Mauser and a K98. They are very cool.

But, I must disagree with MB. Lever-action rifles are even cooler. The perfect weapon for picking off Indians. 8)
By Figlio di Moros
Lever-action makes me nostalgic, I remember having one as a kid. I can't remember what happened to it.
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]