Whats the point of ... the RAF? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Proxy servers at the ready its another thought provoking program on the BBC covering the state of the armed forces of the UK. It looks at the history, current application and possible future of the RAF, which in this time of financial restraint many people are asking what is the point of the RAF. With many Army and Navy staff openly trying to damage the organisation in an independant service.

Should be up for about a week...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... 3_The_RAF/
By Cartertonian
Cheers, Typhoon - will have a butcher's....

Before I do, though, in a nutshell the opposition to ideas of subsuming the RAF back into its 'parent' branches rests with the constant examples of LAND-centric commanders failing to understand the tactical and strategic utility and application of AIR.

I think the RN would be pretty pissed off if the Khaki Knobs started telling them how to conduct Maritime Ops, so why should we have a bunch of unwashed Pongoes telling us how to conduct Air Ops?

And, don't forget...

Stars: The Navy navigate by 'em, the Army sleep under 'em...

...and the Airforce book hotels by 'em!

:evil:
By killim
I think thats not the real question behind it. The real question is: How many money can the UK afford to pay to its military branch. After that can ask which missions they have to fulfill and which they are not able to fulfill. After that decision has been made the forces can be streamlined, but not earlier.
By Zerogouki
Whats the point of ... the RAF?

To fend off the Luftwaffe when Germany starts WW3, of course.
By Otebo
The next programme in the series ought to be What's the point of...Quentin Letts?

From what I've read the RAF are to suffer the most in the forthcoming defence cuts. It seems the Army have managed to convince too many of our leaders that future wars will be replicas of Afghanistan and Iraq. I fear the RAF will be decimated because once again we are planning on fighting yesterdays wars rather than tomorrows.

As a Latino, I am always very careful about crossi[…]

As I pointed out. the source says 'there is no sc[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Interesting: https://jackrasmus.com/2024/04/23/uk[…]

Here are some of the the latest reports of student[…]