XM25 - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By War Angel
Don't get me wrong - timed grenades are useful. The implementation here is needlessly complex and expensive, though (microchips in the bloody rounds?!).

Here's another thought - the same old grenade launcher (say, M203), only with timed grenades. You'll have grenades that explode after 50 meters, some that explodes after 75, 100, 200, or any other distance. Carry a few of those simple, inexpensive grenades, and you're set. Then, it's just a fuse, and not a freakin' microchip.

No modification to the weapon, barely any to the ammunition - simple, effective and inexpensive. Plus, you don't have to fiddle around with electronics in the middle of a fire-fight. Who wants that? :lol:
By Suska
In fact, you could probably separate the fuse from the round and carry granades and a bag full of small or even adjustable fuses.
By War Angel
In fact, you could probably separate the fuse from the round and carry granades and a bag full of small or even adjustable fuses.

Yes, but I'd rather not assemble shit on the battlefield, or at least as little as I have. Although, it's not such a bad idea. Certainly better than that XM-25.
By Cookie Monster
1) Too cumbersome.
2) Too expensive.
3) Can be easily replaced by fitting a camera on a stick\rifle. Hell, even optic fibers or a mirror would do.

How much is the Israeli version?

The IDF doesn't use it, as far as I know. We developed it for lesser forces.
Did IDF try them out? And what about the special police forces?
By InterestedInPolitics
Speed, mobility, stealth, deception, surprise, reliability, dependability and simplicity. If equipment or technology can't support those fundamentals it doesn't need to be in the arsenal of a soldier.
Last edited by InterestedInPolitics on 16 Dec 2010 15:17, edited 1 time in total.
By War Angel
How much is the Israeli version?

Don't know, still too much. It has to be - it's got the screen, and flexible arm, and trigger system...

Did IDF try them out? And what about the special police forces?

I don't think so, no. The Special Forces are not separate from the military.

I guess it has its peculiar uses, but overall, it's too much technology packed into something too small and too expensive, and the alternatives are either much cheaper, better, or both. For one, the recoil totally kills the option for a second shot - you've got literally no way of absorbing it (with your shoulder). This is true for the pistol corner-shot, and truer for the rifle corner-shot. It's really only a gimmick.
By Nattering Nabob
Yeah - still just timing a grenade.

A timed grenade that receives it's very precise information via a laser sight while still chambered and does not require impact to detonate...
By War Angel
A timed grenade that receives it's very precise information via a laser sight while still chambered and does not require impact to detonate...

1) Pre-timed fuses can be very, very accurate.
2) Laser sighting? Okay, put one on your existing weapon. It's not very high-tech.
3) Of-course it doesn't require impact, that's the whole point of a fuse. World War II grenades don't require impact, either. :lol:
By Nattering Nabob
1) Pre-timed fuses can be very, very accurate.

Timed for distance?

2) Laser sighting? Okay, put one on your existing weapon. It's not very high-tech.

It's high tech when you can push buttons and program that distance into the chambered projectile...

3) Of-course it doesn't require impact, that's the whole point of a fuse. World War II grenades don't require impact, either. :lol:

40mm launched grenades explode on impact...not after a specific amount of time...

As far as a timed, thrown hand grenade...that would not travel 300 meters in a straight line and explode a meter away from someone behind a wall...
By War Angel
Timed for distance?

Time IS distance, my friend, when you know the speed. ;)

It's high tech when you can push buttons and program that distance into the chambered projectile...

Yes, so don't do that. :) Just a simple meter, to tell you whether it's 75m or 67.

40mm launched grenades explode on impact...not after a specific amount of time...

So redesign them.

As far as a timed, thrown hand grenade...that would not travel 300 meters in a straight line and explode a meter away from someone behind a wall...

Neither does the XM-25 grenade - it doesn't travel back or have a curved trajectory. It just explodes based on given timing (based on the distance).
By Nattering Nabob
Neither does the XM-25 grenade - it doesn't travel back or have a curved trajectory. It just explodes based on given timing (based on the distance).

Not sure what you mean...the XM25 has a max range of 500 meters buts is point accurate at 300 meters...
By killim
Yeah it is accurate, once you know the distance exactly and the evil guy sits still like a dead duck and dreams of his virgins, which the talibs don't do. Plus it creates a zone of death, meaning of course it will lead to collateral damage.
By Nattering Nabob
once you know the distance exactly

That's why the laser range finder feeds directly to the round...

What the operator does is tell the round whether he wants it to explode up to ten feet ahead, behind, or any range in between the target...
By Igor Antunov
I have a particular distaste for specialized weaponry that costs too much, is difficult to carry and maintain, and is over-engineered for the application it is intending to be applied to.

The V-2 was a marvel of engineering, but a shit offensive weapon in the context of the war it was applied to. Perhaps this fancy grenade launcher will find use 100 years from now in post-apocalyptic urban tribal wars of the 22nd century, but right now it's a bit of a gimmick.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

70% of Americans view Ukraine as an ally or friend[…]

@FiveofSwords " small " Humans are […]

World War II Day by Day

April 19, Friday Allied troops land on Norway co[…]

My prediction of 100-200K dead is still on track. […]