Why the Seals? - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By OReally Factor
:lol: It was easier in Nelson's age, you knew exactly where you stood. If they were your enemies you blew them away. None of this treading on egg shells stuff war involves today.
By War Angel
pansies compared to American SEAL team 6, British military is a joke anyways only fit to parade for the queen.

British special forces are superior, and the SAS are the best in the world - second to none.
By War Angel
Yeah ok.............. War

Any time. :)

As for why the SEALs were used - probably because they had the best plan and means to execute that plan. I don't know too much about how American special operations go, but it sounds reasonable.
By War Angel
Are you suggesting some form of bidding process WA

I don't know how things go in the US military, so I can't really comment. There's no bidding, I would imagine.

We do a lot of brain-storming here.
By OReally Factor
British special forces are superior, and the SAS are the best in the world - second to none.

Pretty much, although I restricted myself from saying so as a Brit.
By Piano Red
War Angel

Fap fap fap.

The best Special Operations Forces (NOT Special Forces....the two terms aren't synonymous) are the ones that the public rarely...if ever hears about.

Anyways, to answer the OP...the reason it was the SEALs probably had to do with the availability of forces on hand and the logistics behind the strike package. DEVGRU is better at quick insertions on Ops even if SFOD-D's operators tend to be a lot more experienced because of how the Army's acquisition pipeline works in comparison to the Navy's.

Not to mention that i'd bet good money on seaborne insertion ops like the Bin Laden raid have firmly been in the Seal Team's JSOC "jurisdiction" ever since the great Delta Force fuckup in 1980.
By U184
Because, these guys were already on a supper secret mission...
By Xbow
Kflint wrote:Does anyone know why they would be selected for a ground mission over delta force?

I'm inclined to believe that the critical factor in the selection of Seal Team 6 over Delta for the Ben Laden hit was the preference of the current commander of the Joint Special Operations Command. And that was Vice Admiral William H. McRaven he was a former commander of SEAL Team 3. The next commander of JSOC will be Major General Joseph Votel (Army) he would probably have chosen Delta Force. Inter service Rivalry will always be a factor but in truth there is little choose between the operators in Tier-1 they are all outstanding.
By U184
Actually I did not ask that.

However it sounds about right though. Personally I think it came down to logistics and equipment/satellite dedication
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Do you really believe that America decides how Uk[…]

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipmen[…]

@Pants-of-dog it is not harassment for students […]

So do many other races and people. This genetic […]