AK negligent discharge - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Thompson_NCL
What worries me most about this thread is some of you thought it was meant to be authentic.

"Yeah that looks fake to me" - It's an APE with an ASSAULT RIFLE, of course it's fuckin' fake :lol:
By Chill
Potemkin wrote:Chimps are enormously strong (about six or seven times stronger than an average human)

Source?
By Potemkin
For example: JSTOR link
By Wolfman
It's fairly common knowledge that other primates have a higher weight to strength ratio.
By Chill
Wolfman wrote:It's fairly common knowledge that other primates have a higher weight to strength ratio.

You mean weight to strength ratio or strength to weight ratio? :eh:
By grassroots1
I'm amazed there's not a real youtube video of a chimp with a gun. I can't find one, at least.
By Wolfman
You mean weight to strength ratio or strength to weight ratio?

Weight to Strength. If you weigh 230lbs and can squat 200lbs, it's not as impressive a guy who weighs 150 and can squat 150.
By Chill
So you mean a chimp weigh 50lbs and can squat only 25 lbs and a human weigh 150 lbs and can squat 150 lbs, thus the conclusion that a chimp has a higher weight to strength ratio (two) than a human being (only one)? And the higher the ratio, the less impressive?
I'm just not sure whether you are for or against Potemkin's comment.
By Wolfman
So you mean a chimp weigh 50lbs and can squat only 25 lbs and a human weigh 150 lbs and can squat 150 lbs, thus the conclusion that a chimp has a higher weight to strength ratio (two) than a human being (only one)? And the higher the ratio, the less impressive?

Other way around. A chimp can lift more of it's body weight than a human can. The chimp in the example you gave would have a Strength to Weight Ratio of 0.5, because your weight 1, and less than that is less than 1.
By Chill
Is weight to strength ratio 'weight/strength' or 'strength/weight'?
By Wolfman
"Weight/Strength". The concept is borrowed from Physics where it's more generally called "Specific Strength" and the SI Unit is [(N/m2)/(kg/m3)] or more commonly [N·m/kg]
By Chill
Wolfman wrote:"Weight/Strength"

Then why the higher the ratio, the more impressive??? You weigh 100 lbs and you can lift up nothing then the ratio is infinity. That's indeed impressive...
By Potemkin
Chill is being pedantic, but she is technically correct, Wolfman. Your maths is a bit wonky. Fundamentally, however, you are correct and she is incorrect - chimps are indeed many times stronger than an adult human, both absolutely and relative to body weight.
By Chill
Potemkin wrote:Chill is being pedantic

:knife:
From a guy who has a Physics master's degree? :eek:
By Potemkin
:knife:
From a guy who has a Physics master's degree? :eek:

There is a difference between being knowledgeable and being pedantic, Chill. *gives a smug little smirk* :)
By Chill
I tend to be rigorous all the time. It's just a professional habit. 8)
By Potemkin
"Weight/Strength". The concept is borrowed from Physics where it's more generally called "Specific Strength" and the SI Unit is [(N/m2)/(kg/m3)] or more commonly [N·m/kg]

Speaking of being rigorous, the dimensionality of this ratio means that it must be "Strength/Weight" rather than "Weight/Strength". Told you your maths was wonky, Wolfman. ;)
By Thunderhawk
Quick Googling puts a male chimp at 40-60 kg. That is heavier then most child soldiers, and they aren't known for AK-47 recoil knocking them down.
By Chill
Potemkin wrote:Fundamentally, however, you are correct and she is incorrect - chimps are indeed many times stronger than an adult human, both absolutely and relative to body weight.

To continue being rigorous, why am I incorrect? Where did I say humans are stronger than chimps? I simply asked you to provide a source :eh:

Please provide it again. You have no problem aski[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

It has already been explained that this type of co[…]

Sure, keep thinking that. Election year is caus[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Again: nope. Putin in Feb 2022 only decided ... […]