Sound Proofing (A low tech "Ask PoFo" question) - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Ok, I'm asking this here because I don't want to hear from the general riff raff...

It looks like my wife and I are going to pick up a decent piece of rural property, but the slight drawback is that its not on that big a plot of land. :hmm: This means I will need to devote some space to the rather large outbuilding for shooting.

Naturally I don't want to scare the neighbors, though they're rural folks who won't care that much, I still don't want to over do it. I'm thinking some cheap sound proofing like egg crates on the walls might do it... Cheap matters a lot.

Anyone have any ideas, this outbuilding is easily 100' in length and may be longer, there is plenty of room for shooting. (I'll be using a bobcat or something like that to build a mound to shoot into, inside the building.)
By Rilzik
Ah, so from a few years ago I remember a guy that bought a styrofoam/cement mix in blocks. Compared to normal building materials it's cheap, very sound proof but it might be too expensive compared to egg cartons. Plus you'd need a nearby company that makes it. If you look for companies that recycle styrofoam, that might lead you to one or you can make it yourself but that might increase costs. It should also stop or slow bullets too.

Expanded polystyrene concrete aka EPScrete
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expanded_p ... e_concrete

It's usually using in green builds for thermal insulation but it is also works for sound. I have no idea if it would fit your purpose but if your a creative type it might be a fun project.
By Typhoon
Anything thats going to put a lot of layers between the sound and the outside should do trick, as above polystyrene or foam packaging should work very well, especially somthing shaped like this...

http://www.economyfoamandfutons.com/fut ... roduct=672

You would probably only have to do one end significantly. Of coarse then having a solid wooden door at that end will ruin the effect!
By U184
I would make a smaller range in the building and use the rest for something else.

ImageImageImageAmes'® Blue Max

Make cinder walls and fill with water> Image

[youtube]vutcirh78gQ[/youtube]
[youtube]i7F3C4MsQwE[/youtube]
By U184
From looking at all the posts some kind of combo might do the trick on the cheap. How much room did you want to use for the range?

Oh and congratz on the house! :D
By Thunderhawk
Are you making an out building, or is there one there already and you want to modify it?
By Demosthenes
Actually there has been a change, but I've taken these suggestions to heart, it may well be possible for me to pick up some "bulk" Styrofoam and use that. It now appears the first property is out, and we've found another that is suitable, where I can build an outdoor range on the property anyway.

Still, for the long term I'll construct an outbuilding, and you never know when understanding how to sound proof might come in handy...

KFlint wrote:Oh and congratz on the house!

Thanks!
By Pants-of-dog
I was going to suggest straw bales.

I doubt capitalism will even exist in a century[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I love how everybody is rambling about printing mo[…]

I'm not American. Politics is power relations be[…]

@FiveofSwords If you want to dump some random […]