Kalashnikov 5: Brand-new AK-12 rifle unveiled - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

Kalashnikov have unveiled the latest incarnation of their iconic assault rifle, the AK-47. The company says new generation firearm called the AK-12 combines reliability with precision, and can be used with one hand.

­The factory which developed the new rifle decided to stick with the classic layout of the AK-47, even though it is a completely new weapon.

The Kalashnikov makers claim its has better range, increased fire dispersion, better ergonomics, usability and a potential for configuration changes.

The new weapon is as reliable as the AK-74, the Izmash factory CEO Maksim Kuzyuk says, but the dynamic characteristics differ significantly. It considerably increases the accuracy of shooting. The rifle is capable of firing in three modes: single shot, three shots and automatic fire mode.

Also, AK-12 is capable of using magazines of various types and capacity.

The basic feature of the new rifle is its modularity. It will serve as a basic platform for designing of over 20 modifications of small-arms weapons of various purpose and calibre.

AK-12’s composition allows operating it single-handedly, and can be converted for left or right handed use.
The rifle can accommodate night vision and Holo-sights, target indicator, or a light grenade launcher.

The AK-12 is undergoing firing tests in extreme conditions which should be completed by the end of the year. The Russian Ministry of Interior has already agreed to test the AK-12 in its special police units after official certification of the weapon.

http://rt.com/news/ak-12-kalashnikov-rifle-253/

The incorporation of the rails?

The incorporation of a Rail System, a bottom-attached grenade launcher, and it looks like the butt-stock on that one is intended to be telescopic.

Edit: Oh, and the broomstick forward handle, and it looks like there's supposed to be an attachable scope instead of iron sights.
It's a shame Russia doesn't have the same small arms diversity like the U.S.

I believe there are many restrictions on gun ownership in Russia like much of Europe, the military scene is dominated by the well known players like Izhmash and the Tula Arms Plant. However recently the defense ministry has responded positively to private small arms manufacturers see here so we may see more in the future. Mr. Kuzmin's excellent blog recently covered such a manufacturer

The incorporation of a Rail System, a bottom-attached grenade launcher, and it looks like the butt-stock on that one is intended to be telescopic.

Keeping up with the diverse range of accessories available for fire arms seems to have made the adoption of a rail system a no-brainier, picatinny being first has set the standard here, the path was perhaps set when an AK-107 was displayed with such a rail last year. There seems to be several design choices like rails, ammunition options and muzzle brake that imply that the AK-12 was designed with universal compatibility in mind, if it is to be as popular as previous rifles bearing the AK designation it will need this.

The bottom grenade launcher has been associated with the AK since the late 1970's, since production moved to polymer designs there has been a lot more variety in the furniture of the rifle, so these things have an established history. Iron sights are provided and I believe the handle is a product of the rail rather than the rifle.

As all modern firearms incorporate these features I would not say they were knock-off but keeping up with the times, whats more important is that the rifle maintains the core Kalashnikov features in-spite of its redesign; the AN-94 was revolutionary but just too complicated for general issue.
Typhoon wrote:Keeping up with the diverse range of accessories available for fire arms seems to have made the adoption of a rail system a no-brainier, picatinny being first has set the standard here, the path was perhaps set when an AK-107 was displayed with such a rail last year. There seems to be several design choices like rails, ammunition options and muzzle brake that imply that the AK-12 was designed with universal compatibility in mind, if it is to be as popular as previous rifles bearing the AK designation it will need this.

So, they have good reason to be knocking off M16 family of weapons?

The bottom grenade launcher has been associated with the AK since the late 1970's, since production moved to polymer designs there has been a lot more variety in the furniture of the rifle, so these things have an established history

I'd say there's a difference between a grenade launcher attachment that slides onto a rifle, and one that is directly attached to the rifle itself, as in the weapon in the OP.

Iron sights are provided

The same is true with the M16A4, but the Iron Sights are designed to be taken off and to use a scope instead. And the AK has no Iron Sight on it, but has a Rail Attachment where the Iron Sights would be, implying it is meant for use with a scope as much, or instead of, Iron Sights.

I believe the handle is a product of the rail rather than the rifle.

Same as with an M16.

As all modern firearms incorporate these features I would not say they were knock-off but keeping up with the times, whats more important is that the rifle maintains the core Kalashnikov features in-spite of its redesign; the AN-94 was revolutionary but just too complicated for general issue.

This just isn't true at all.

Igor wrote:As long as it can be dragged through mud and still work and be completely unable to hit a target, it's a firearm worthy of the AK moniker.

Fixed.
Publius wrote:It's been posted elsewhere here, but there's a youtube video of a guy firing an AK weapon and the barrel was flexing up and down while it was being fired. That makes it hard to shot accurately, you know.

Yep. I've seen that video too.

Unless the manufacturer proves it's made an improvement, the null hypothesis stands.

Igor Antunov wrote:Accuracy is more dependent on the person using the weapon. I'd wager to say AK's have accurately hit and killed more people in the past 50 years than any other small arm.

That doesn't say anything about accuracy. It just says the gun is easier to procure.

Besides, the better weapon is one that's so intimidating it hardly needs to be used. If what you're saying is true, the AK failed miserably.
So, they have good reason to be knocking off M16 family of weapons?

Indeed, unless it violates patent laws there's no reason for a Russian manufacturer to turn down a good idea because it came through on the back of an American weapon and visa-versa.

I'd say there's a difference between a grenade launcher attachment that slides onto a rifle, and one that is directly attached to the rifle itself, as in the weapon in the OP.

? The GP-30 has always been an attachment, since the rail is integral it can only but attach to the rifle itself though in the case of the AK-12 the GP-30 is not I believe attached using the picatinny rail. I believe the AK-12 has an integral iron sight as part of the receiver, dont appear to be detachable.

Same as with an M16.

True but you cannot blame the person who fits the rail for what the user attaches to it.

This just isn't true at all.

Guilty as charged of generalisation but the point stands that Izhmash is acting no different than any other modern arms manufacturer.

Unless the manufacturer proves it's made an improvement, the null hypothesis stands.

Its a pretty safe bet that the AK-12 will at least match the performance of previous AK models but apparently they have chosen not to incorporate the balanced recoil system of the AK-107 series...?
Indeed, unless it violates patent laws there's no reason for a Russian manufacturer to turn down a good idea because it came through on the back of an American weapon and visa-versa.

So, they did knock off the M16 family of weapons? OK, because that's all I set out to say. Nothing more, nothing less.

? The GP-30 has always been an attachment, since the rail is integral it can only but attach to the rifle itself though in the case of the AK-12 the GP-30 is not I believe attached using the picatinny rail. I believe the AK-12 has an integral iron sight as part of the receiver, dont appear to be detachable.

The only attachable grenade launchers meant for the AK family of weapons prior to the AK12 look like they're meant to just slide over the barrel, whereas the grenade launcher for the M16 (and seemingly the AK12) attach directly to the weapon.

Guilty as charged of generalisation but the point stands that Izhmash is acting no different than any other modern arms manufacturer.

There are plenty of arms manufacturers that are coming up with something new, and is beyond the point I was making.
So, they did knock off the M16 family of weapons? OK, because that's all I set out to say. Nothing more, nothing less.

Damn trolled on firearms thread, ..... To be honest I really cannot say if Izhmash opted to imitate the M16 specifically as the rail system has become so common it could have picked almost any weapons of recent years, the same is true of many of the features we have discussed.

The only attachable grenade launchers meant for the AK family of weapons prior to the AK12 look like they're meant to just slide over the barrel, whereas the grenade launcher for the M16 (and seemingly the AK12) attach directly to the weapon.

This is true because the rifle came first, in the case of the AK-12 I believe this is still largely the case.

There are plenty of arms manufacturers that are coming up with something new, and is beyond the point I was making.

Izhmash cannot be accused of a lack of innovation, I don't understand this apparent hostility towards the adoption of the rail, its undoubtedly a positive step forward for the company and to any end user?
Damn trolled on firearms thread

It happens. :D

To be honest I really cannot say if Izhmash opted to imitate the M16 specifically as the rail system has become so common it could have picked almost any weapons of recent years, the same is true of many of the features we have discussed.

Many of the features (so far as I'm aware) originated with, or were made popular by, the M16 family of weapons. Whether or not they intended to, they knocked off the M16.

This is true because the rifle came first, in the case of the AK-12 I believe this is still largely the case.

I believe the M16 came before the M203.

Izhmash cannot be accused of a lack of innovation, I don't understand this apparent hostility towards the adoption of the rail, its undoubtedly a positive step forward for the company and to any end user?

I am not being hostile towards the company, simply stating that they are knocking off another weapon. And so far as I'm aware, Izhmash has only really made the AK family, the Saiga family, and a few sniper rifles. I wouldn't really call that innovative. Especially since the AK family hasn't really changed much in the last few decades except for what you just admitted was knocking off the M16 family.

Yes Chomsky - the Pepsi-Cola professor of Linguis[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

Iran's attack on the Zionist entity, a justified a[…]

No seems to be able to confront what the consequen[…]

https://twitter.com/i/status/1781393888227311712