Combat Medics N Stuff - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By U184
Current projects of interest from the DoD. Making life a bit better in the field.

Projects in Production and or in the Field by 2020.

Universal Translator: Broad Operational Language Translation (The DARPA BOLT)

Unmanned Robotics of all kinds An overview up till 2020

Determining Extracellular Matrix Deposition Quantity and Composition from Cells in Response to Electronic Materials AKA> DARPA's Restorative Injury Repair Program

ABSTRACT
The project objectives were to determine the composition and quantity of the extracellular matrix (ECM) that is deposited by the cells when placed in contact, either in vivo or in vitro, with electronic materials. In addition, a defined serum-free in vitro system developed in this laboratory was used to identify favorable and unfavorable materials, both biological and non-biological, that could be used to enhance interactions of cells and tissue with electronic components. Pure cultures of embryonic hippocampal neurons do not produce large areas of ECM spread over the coverslip.

The cells deposit ECM proteins as a barrier to the inorganic DETA surface, possibly as a way to control their microenvironment, especially since the protein composition did not differ as a function of surface hydrophilicity or hydrophobicity. The neurons secrete laminin and collagen, but it is mostly concentrated around the soma and under the processes. In pure in vitro culture, the neurons do not secrete fibronectin, which seems to be the role of glial cells.

In plain English> It is a device that repairs skin, nerves and bones. The device should be able to heal wounds up to and beyond 1000x the bodies ability to heal by itself and can replace lost limbs within 2 months.

This device is now at the 3rd stage of production and is ready to be implemented into Trauma Pods.

Trauma Pod Battlefield Medical Treatment System
Trauma Pod/Operating Room of the Future: Project Overview

The program will leverage substantial technology and expertise from a team of leading companies. SRI, an independent research and development organization, will serve as lead systems integrator on the collaborative project. The team includes:

SRI International, developer of pioneering telesurgery systems
General Dynamics Robotic Systems, a leader in unmanned ground vehicle systems and developer of the automated pharmacy system
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, a leader in weapons and material handling robotics
University of Texas, a research leader in software control systems for material disposal and space manipulators
University of Washington, a research leader in surgical robotics
University of Maryland, a research leader in Operating Room of the Future
Robotic Surgical Tech, Inc., developers of the first robotic nurse systems for the operating room

Image Image

Projects at 2nd Research Stage: Pre Production.

I added this as it seems the program is going well, when implemented Drones of all kinds, from soldiers to vehicles would be manned via tele- presence thus reducing allied casualties.

Surrogate Bipedal Machine Interface < Think of the movie Avatar< That is even the DARPA program name.

Project Overview found in> Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency Justification Book Volume 1 Page 143

Title: Avatar
Description: Key advancements in telepresence and remote operation of ground systems are being made towards the ultimate
goal of developing remotely operated robotic systems that can operate in dismounted environments. In order to demonstrate
the utility of bi-pedal machines on real missions and accelerate their development, the synergistic partnership between machine
and operator must be leveraged. The Avatar program will develop interfaces and algorithms to enable a soldier to effectively
partner with a semi-autonomous bi-pedal machine and allow it to act as the soldier's surrogate. Once developed, Avatar will allow
soldiers to remain out of harm's way while still leveraging their experience and strengths to complete important missions such as
sentry/perimeter control, room clearing, combat casualty recovery, and, eventually, dismounted combat maneuver. Anticipated
service users include the Army, Marines and Special Forces.
FY 2013 Plans:
- Investigate power, locomotion, perception and control of surrogate bipedal machine platforms.
- Begin initial development of algorithms to allow the function of a bidirectional master controller between a human user and a
remote bipedal machine.
- Initiate investigations into tethered and untethered power options to allow operation over relevant mission envelopes.

The Avatar concept was introduced in 1988 by the U.S. ARMY HUMAN ENGINEERING LABORATORY
By Wolfman
I've noticed that DARPA seems involved in three projects:

1. The incredibly stupid that has extremely limited use, or is not going to be functional for decades if ever, or the just plain useless
2. The pretty cool, but something that they probably shouldn't have gotten involved with
3. The things that are somewhere inbetween

This is mostly the third one. Interesting, but I'm not too sure some of these things are even possible.
By U184
This is mostly the third one. Interesting, but I'm not too sure some of these things are even possible.
Everything listed is either in the 3rd phase of research, which means applied use, or in field testing. Either way, it means they already exist... & thus are possible.
By Wolfman
Whats with the change back, wolfman?

I did not pay the site when my name was changed (didn't realize, the admin I contacted forgot), so until I fork over some cash I'm back to being wolfie.

Do what exactly? There are several aspects listed above.

They claim they can magically heal people. I call bullshit until I see a demonstration. Preferably one in front of my eyes.
By U184
I asked for specifics, as there are several elements, if you can breakdown your arguments I could address them, but I cant do a show and tell...

Tissue and bone acceleration has been shown, so to has advanced cellular regeneration. Typhoon may be able to break it down for you, or even cite some active use/studies, as this is more his field.
By U184
There is nothing "magic"about any of it and given you have no real argument, I have to assume you have nor real basis to have a solid negative stance. The same nay say crap went on when slap patches were introduced into the field...
By Typhoon
They're claiming that they can do what people have been dreaming about for four thousand years.

I think the problem is that a lot of this work is always viewed through the eyes of the media which often focuses on some outrageous application and delivered in such a manner that draws it as close to science fiction as possible. This is not to say it is not advanced stuff but the science behind it is a lot more down to earth than the promotional literature suggests.

https://twitter.com/ShadowofEzra/status/1781137192[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I love how everybody is rambling about printing m[…]

Desantis made it illegal for cities in Florida to […]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

Honestly I think you should give up on hoping to […]