Top 10 Armies? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

This is based on your opinion only

My top 10 armies are

1) U.S.A
2) Russia
3) China
4) India
5) S.Korea
6) N.Korea
7) Japan
8) Turkey
9) Israel
10) UK
------
11) Brazil
12) France

Nukes don't count.
By Daktoria
Why did you put Russia before China? This isn't 1980's manpower and industrial capacity we're talking about.

Germany, France, and Britain all deserve to be above South Korea as well. Australia and Brazil beat Turkey and Israel by quantity over quality. Might want to replace North Korea with Taiwan since Kim Jung Il's passing.
Germany? Are you kidding right? We're not talking about Hitler's army here, we're talking about a nation with no modern combat experience, even Turkey has more experience and I swear Germany have a limit, go check the Global fire-power rankings, you can see detailed information of what countries have....

http://www.globalfirepower.com/

France, UK and especially Germany are over-rated, these nations are just secondary powers somehow in the g8 probably because they have nukes and because their "European"? Out of the three though I would say the French are the most superior but even France ain't that worthy.

Russia is under-rated.... People tend to think that China are better because they have more but most of Chinese weapons are old soviet junk anyway... Russians on the other hand have more tanks than USA and great technology as well. The only reason why I would say America is better is because USA has a much better air-force and navy while Russia definitely has a better land based army, even the soldiers are better and more ruthless than Americans.
By Siberian Fox
I wondered what the criteria for this topic were. If by "Armies" one actually means "Armed Forces" then The United Kingdom and France might deserve a higher ranking. Especially if in order to be "Top" one has to have the ability for global force projection. Both the aforementioned countries can operate globally without assistance/co-operation of other countries if required. There are few countries with superior naval ability (it's not just about numbers of ships, but what they are capable of while away from home).
This ain't WW2, let's say Britain and France dispatched their navy fleets to the Mediterranean to invade Turkey, a few missiles and even artillery from a few hundred miles away on each ship and say goodbye to the superior fleet.

France and UK don't even have enough man power to invade other countries and what's a few carriers going to do? Like I said, a few missiles on even the most advanced ship can cause a problem.

But America is just another story, because America is both quantity and quality while UK and France are over-rated quality and no quantity for "global projection".
By Siberian Fox
And in such an unlikely scenario how would Turkey fare at invading Britain? Would they even reach the Atlantic? It's rather telling that according to the link you provided they don't possess any destroyers, while Britain's new generation of destroyers are able to provide the best anti-air defence of just about any ships in the world. Wasn't it also a British ship that intercepted an anti-ship missile fired at an American warship during the first Iraq/Gulf war?

My point being that a national military is geared towards its perceived threats. Turkey has a large conventional army because it has to live with Iran and Iraq, and previously the USSR as neighbours. Britain and France have small territories to protect all over the world, as well as maintaining a limited capacity of gunboat diplomacy. Neither would be an affective force of 'conquest' vis-à-vis each other.
By Smertios
Tezelian_Imperialist wrote:This is based on your opinion only

My top 10 armies are

1) U.S.A
2) Russia
3) China
4) India
5) S.Korea
6) N.Korea
7) Japan
8) Turkey
9) Israel
10) UK
------
11) Brazil
12) France

Nukes don't count.

Your top 10 has 12 items... China and Russia are reversed (as you put it yourself, nukes shouldn't count, and that's where Russia wins). India and Japan are too high. Turkey shouldn't be above Israel. UK and France should be above Brazil... The Brazilian military is closer to the Italian, in my opinion. North Korea only has numbers. They shouldn't be in that list/

I'd have this list:
1. US
2. PRC
3. Russia
4. UK
5. France
6. India
7. Israel
8. South Korea
9. Germany
10. Turkey
11. Japan
12. Brazil
13. Italy
14. Canada (perhaps Canada should be a bit higher too, I'm not sure)
15. Saudi Arabia
By Igor Antunov
So, armies as in ground based forces exlusively?

1) China
2) Russia
3) USA
4) India
5) Germany
etc

In terms of everything

1)USA
2)China
3)Russia
4)India
5)France