Nuclear Bombs - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By MB.
You can download it. I'll try and fish up the link.

In the mean time heres a quote:

"There were 11 tests fired in Operation Upshot-Knothole, three airdrops, seven tower tests and one fired from an atomic cannon. About 21,000 military personnel participated in Upshot-Knothole as part of the Desert Rock V Exercise. The tests, all weapons related, were conducted between March 17 and June 4, 1953. The Upshot-/Knothole tests and their yields were as follows: ANNIE, 16 kt; NANCY, 24 kt; RUTH, 200 tons; DIXIE, 11 kt; RAY, 200 tons; BADGER, 23 kt; SIMON, 43 kt; ENCORE, 27 kt; HARRY, 32 kt; GRABLE, fired from 280mm gun (cannon), 15 kt; and CLIMAX, 61 kt."

Notice the 280 mm gun number. TAKE THAT Smash!
Last edited by MB. on 15 Nov 2003 08:04, edited 1 time in total.
By Kov
As I have said it is a wonderful little video. It has music and everything... a bit short though, and not enough blood and guts.

The aperance of Brittany Spears was a little too much however...
By Political Interest
But it even says it here I got this from Wikipedia.com its a great site.

Until detonation is desired, the weapon must consist of a number of separate pieces each of which is below the critical size either because they are too small or unfavorably shaped. To produce detonation, the fissile material must be brought together rapidly. In the course of this assembly process the chain reaction is likely to start causing the material to heat up and expand, preventing the material from reaching its most compact (and most efficient) form. It may turn out that the explosion is so inefficient as to be practically useless. The majority of the technical difficulties of designing and manufacturing a fission weapon are based on the need to both reduce the time of assembly of a supercritical mass to a minimum and reduce the number of stray (pre-detonation) neutrons to a minimum.

Also this from Wikipedia.

The simplest technical mechanism for assembling a supercritical mass is to shoot one piece of fissile material as a projectile against a second part as a target, usually called the gun method. This is how the Little Boy weapon which was detonated over Hiroshima worked. This method of combination can only be used for U-235 because of the relatively long amount of time it takes to combine the materials, making predetonation likely for Pu-239 which has a higher spontaneous neutron release due to Pu-240 contamination.

Yours is not history, just tinfoil-hat nonsense[…]

That was weird

I was watching the evening news, and they were cov[…]

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E2xXMrwU[…]

I define my terms very clearly and very simply. S[…]