SVT 40 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By MB.
Couldn't decide whether this should be here or in the History forum, but at any rate, it's more technical then anything else.

I was wondering how many of these guns the Soviet's USED during the war- as in, how many were in circulation. I know something like 1 million were MADE during the war, but im more interested in how many where actaully used during that extent, be it greater or fewer then actaully produced during that period.
By Boondock Saint
HSRosteK wrote:i want to be this forum's mod.

and if nobody understood that then look in the basement.

Your going the right way for a smack bottom. Dont piss on peoples threads.

Bill which version of the SVT-40?

The infantry version ...

Or the sniper version?

I wont pretend to be an expert on it but according to this website the SVT-40 was a prized trophy of German and Finnish troops which says to me a good number of rifles must have existed on the battlefield. On the flip side of that only one million were made, thats right ONLY one million ... in a war where many millions of troops fought for any of the major players and many more millions died for the Soviets, one million rifles really isnt that many if you ask me.

So I would say just as a guess perhaps %50 of them actually made it into combat at any one time during the war ... thats a guess, completly ... no facts at all the back it up.
By MB.
I'm really asking about the standard rifle version-

Still, 1 million is 1 million and that's *still* a lot of rifles.
By Boondock Saint
Not in the context of the second world war though ...

The M-1 Garand for example had about 4+million manufactured ...

The M-1 Carbine had 6+million manufactured ...

So ... I dont know ...

I see what you are saying though ...
By U-235
The M-1 Garand for example had about 4+million manufactured ...

The M-1 Carbine had 6+million manufactured ...

I would have expected the opposite in numbers. Was not the M-1 Carbine reserved for higher ranking soldiers?
By Boondock Saint
Nah, the carbine was more used for paratroopers and of course supply personel. Like truck drivers and such.

And we all know the US had more supply personel and drivers then anything else.
By MB.
5 million PPSHs produced- and that served the entire Soviet Army.

The US didn't USE all those M1s you know... production doesn't equal use.

So 1 million, is actaully quite a significant number.
By Boondock Saint
One million manufactured Bill ...

*I am so drunk*

One million manufactured ... not distributed ... so the four million garands and the six million carbines (this does not include US submachine guns nor the squad automatic weapons) are in manufactured numbers ...

We dont know how many were actually handed out ...

So ...

Unless your PPSHs is the SVT-40? Elaborate ... I am feckin drunk ...

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

https://twitter.com/TheBigDataStats/status/1399589[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]

That was weird

No, it won't. Only the Democrats will be hurt by […]