The Avro Arrow - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By calgaryguy
My small homage to the Avro Arrow... an example of what willing canadians can do... killed by the americans who knew that this plane would kick the crap of their designs. Sold us some faulty missles instead...

May this beautiful bird RIP....

By Necro99
Even tho i am a Quebecois Separatist, my aviation freak tells me to yell:
WHY???!
WHY DID THEY SCRAP IT?!!
By Ignominious
The greatest plane of all time.... :*(

Did you ever watch the movie "The Arrow"? That is good, but it is really frustrating to watch.

It says in there that the Americans made them scrap it because it could find top secret spy planes and they wanted Canada to buy AA missiles. According to that they threatened to shoot Soviet Bombers down over Canadian cities if they didnt buy the missiles.
By Comrade Serb
Are you talking about Avrora project? If yes, can you give me links about it?
By obladio
Even if i am a separatist québecois i got to say that this plane was the best of all and too advance for his time and that scares the us .I support canada on this one but just on this one.
By MB.
This is what happens when Canadians get patriotic.

Myth: The Arrow was UBER l33t1121!!!
Fact: It was a piece of crap, plauged with technical difficulties, and was over all far to expensive to be built realistically.

Myth: The EVIL EMPIRE (AMerica) killed it becuase they feared its M4D SK1LLZ
Fact: The Americans didn't buy any because IT WAS A POS!

Myth: That CbC mov13 is accurate and realistic!
Fact: Its a propaganda piece. Believe that and you might as well believe Enemy at the Gates.
Last edited by MB. on 03 May 2004 03:48, edited 1 time in total.
By theallmightybob
FACT: most of the scientific minds from the scraped arrow project went to work on the moon project and with nasa.

why is that?
By MB.
Because they weren't going anywhere working with Avro? Because NASA payed better? Because they saw sucsess in the moon program that they could never have working on a shitty Airplane?
By MB.
one of Canada's foremost historians, Dr. Desmond Morton, principal of Erindale College, University of Toronto, described the Avro Arrow as "a fatally flawed weapon, on a par with those earlier monuments to our military-industrial blundering, the Ross rifle or the MacAdam shovel."

http://www.avroarrow.org/AvroArrow/factualarrow3.html

Aside from flaws, the real issue was high cost. An engine that's made out of Titanuim is going to be a damn expensive one. Espcaicly in the 1950s.

Besides, now we've got Super Hornets, and they're much better.
By theallmightybob
Besides, now we've got Super Hornets, and they're much better

agreed. whats done is done anyways. even if it was crapy as you say its not coming back.
By MB.
Which is what really erks me: my own cousin is convinced that with Avro Arrows, Canada would have the most powerful airforce in the world.

No matter what I say to him (like, trying to explain the differnce between a plane made in the 50s and a plane made in the 70s-80s) he refuses to listen. Then I explain the flaws of the Arrow, and he keeps right at it. Really hard to deal with the ignorant I guess.

Ohyah, Boon, he also believes that the Canadian Navy could trash Super Carriers left and right.

He's deluded.

Thus: Don't fall into the trap Bob!
Last edited by MB. on 03 May 2004 03:47, edited 1 time in total.
By theallmightybob
Thus: Don't fall into the trap Bob!

well i was sliping into it untill you posted me that link. my canadian pride was getting in the way.
By Boondock Saint
Ohyah, Boon, he also believes that the Canadian Navy could trash Super Carriers left and right.

:?:

Just had to bring me into it didnt you? :lol:

The Canadian navy will sink super carriers? Are the carriers alone in lake Erie with no planes?

If this plane was so great then why didnt the US just buy the blue prints and make their own version? Especially if the guys working on the project now all work for US firms?

I think Bill shot this plane down long before it even took flight.
By theallmightybob
hay um... bill, did you ever finish reading that whole link... well i just did let me quote something from the link you gave me that saposidly shows how bad the arrow was

The Arrow was the most modern interceptor in the world, clearly over 20 years ahead of its time.

thats what thay say about the plain futher on in that link.
By MB.
Yah, it's a fairly indepth discussion of the plane's performance abilities and so on, giving both sides of the issue and what not (I admit that I was taking that quote more for dramatic purpose then actaul value). Anyway, the key point remains: Not only were their certain flaws in the plane's design- such as the weapon's cairage- but again the main issue was cost.

The damn thing simply cost far too much.

Here are some videos I just watched , that gives a[…]

Sure. No ethnogenesis in the past doesn't mean no[…]

In 1900, Europe had THREE TIMES the population of […]

@Rancid it's hard to know, we'd need to see how […]