When battleships sink... (video) - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

I have uploaded the only two videos of battleships being sunk on active service at sea to the Battleship List. As far as I know these are both public domain.

The sinking of SMS Szent István (sunk by Italian torpedo boats, 1918).

The sinking of HMS Barham (sunk by German submarine U-331, 1941).

I thought it was interesting to watch. A structure so vast and apparently stable one moment, and gone the next. The sinking of HMS Barham is particularly dramatic, since the capsizing also caused a magazine explosion.
By Yeddi
The sinking of SMS Szent István (sunk by Italian torpedo boats, 1918).

Wikipedia wrote:She was the only ship of her class not to be fitted with torpedo nets.

lol

Interesting Fox, cheers.

I don't know what's wrong with me though, I just can't help thinking of all those poor lads who died. :hmm:

My Grandfather was sunk in the Med in 1941 too, by a combination of what's here, German Torpedo Boats. He was lucky enough to survive thankfully.
By Siberian Fox
Yeddi wrote:I don't know what's wrong with me though, I just can't help thinking of all those poor lads who died

Nothing wrong with that. I think the same. Only 80+ men went down with the Szent István. Because of the explosion (I presume) rather more were killed when HMS Barham sank (over 800 I think).

Both my grandparents were in the army and survived the war. One of my uncles was killed when his ship went down though. My memory isn't great on the subject, but IIRC it was an arctic convoy.
By Adrien
Wow. The explosion of the British ship is frightening.

Nothing like these fake explosions in cinema.
By Thunderhawk
SMS Szent István: Very top heavy, bad design.

HMS Barham: quite remarkable. Perhaps hollywood should take a look at this video next time they mimic a ship's sinking.
By MB.
The Barham video is an absolute classic. Thanks for the Szents video, I hadn't seen that one. :up:

The articles presented by Five, are about failed a[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Increasingly, they're admitting defeat. https://tw[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Handcuffed medics, patients with medical equipment[…]

These protests are beautiful. And again..the kids […]