Favorite Submarine - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By Khenlein
Aye it did, with two 8" inch guns I believe, talk about applying the rules of cruiser warfare to submarines, french took it a wee bit to far methinks.
By Din
the yellow one :lol: :p
By unbalanced zealot
:lol: ... The 'Collins Class' subs ... :*(
The most unlucky subs every built.

Any aussies reading this will know why
the laugh and cry icons are in place.
By Yeddi
Those terrible subs managed to sink at least one US Aircraft Carrier! :lol:
By unbalanced zealot
Goldstein wrote:What's so bad about them anyway?

:hmm: I don't know where to start to answer that ...
hopefully someone else is prepared to list the many
many many things that have gone wrong with them
so far. All I can say is 'thank God they're not Nuclear'.
By unbalanced zealot
deano wrote:They are really that bad?

In brief they have cost billions (literally billions) but ran
way over budget and time, were based upon a controversial
design from Sweden that didn't work and caused them to
make noise when in motion
(which is what any submarine wants to avoid
doing) ... and when finished the operating software didn't
work (costing even more millions) ... and one of them crashed
into the wharf (I think on the day of it's test launch).

:lol: :*(

If any submarine is going to hit an iceberg and sink or be
dragged to the sea-bed by a giant squid - It'll be a 'Collins
Class'.
By The Dark Rower
that is absolutly rubish. I wonder which complete idiot wanted to make it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
By hole in the ground
Sorry but as for the most unlucky submarines the british have the trump. There was the M class to start with two submarines with huge cruiser turrets where the deck gun was. Both sank. Then there was the K class (I think it was the K, not sure) they were submarines that basically had destroyer 'steam' engines in them. They had two retractable funnels and they were the only submarine to ever have a 'Bridge'. They were designed to be able to keep up with the surface fleet. Basically they had too many holes in and were a bad idea. Half of them collided with something, two with each other and the rest sunk when they dived before the funnles were properly secured. (bear in mind that these were built during WW2)
By The Dark Rower
there were at least 2 M class submarines. M1 was the one with the gun.
M2 was the one that carried an aeroplane in it!
By hole in the ground
They both carried guns but after the first one sank they then tried to convert the second into a submergable aircraft carrier but then that one sank in a crash dive test when someone forgot to close the hangar doors.
By SpiderMonkey
From what I understand:

The M1 had a VERY heavy gun on top, and it was hit by a trawler shortly after submerging. The blow was only a glancing one but was enough to knock the gun off the side ripping a huge hole in the command centre of the sub. Some of the submariners were sealed in the aft section and survived the initial accident, but they tried to escape by flooding the airlocks and swimming out. They were too deep to have possibly survived.

The M2 was the worlds only submersible aircraft carrier. It did work - but the crew was trying to minimise the time spent on the surface launching the plane, and rushing caused them to start submerging before the hangar door was fully closed, and it also sank.
By The Dark Rower
Yeah thats what i heard too. I saw the bit about the M1 on some discovery channel documentary. It was pritty good. Did they find the submarine?
By Yeddi
SpiderMonkey wrote:The M2 was the worlds only submersible aircraft carrier. It did work - but the crew was trying to minimise the time spent on the surface launching the plane, and rushing caused them to start submerging before the hangar door was fully closed, and it also sank.

The Japanese also had many aircraft enabled submarines in WW2
By jqosh
mines the yellow one in the beeltes song
By The Dark Rower
jqosh, unless you have something sensible to say go sod off some where else. >:

Palestinian armed groups in Gaza do have a histor[…]

@JohnRawls What if your assumption is wrong???[…]

Sure, but they are too stupid to understand, Trum[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

This is the issue. It is not changing. https://y[…]