Favorite Submarine - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By TomThumbKOP
Mine is the Sturgeon Class (SSN-637). What are yours?
By Kov
The Typhoon was the best. They are huge, spacious (for a sub), and have all those nit picky features that make life fun.

Things like a swimming pool... a Sauna... over 25 nukes...
By Krasniy Yastreb
My fav is the British Vanguard class Trident sub. I think there's only 3 though...
By TomThumbKOP
The more I read, the more I am becoming a fan of the new Virginia class subs. We won't really know how good they are until the first one is finished. Then if we know how good they are, they aren't good enough. :)
By Sweeper
Oscar SSGN is a bit cool, it delivers some punch for US carriers with the Shipwreck.
By ahab
A few of the US's large Trident submarines are being converted over to cruise missile boats and covert ops bases. That's something that could be quite fun and probably more useful than a balistic missile sub.
By Spetzjoe
The ones here.
By The Apostate
Ohio class, the quietest boats ever built, featuring the premier ballistic missile in the world.
By uglygoat
nobody said yellow yet.. hmmm ;)

i like the old diesel boats, got prettier lines, sorta like old cars, at least for me.
By Kov
Does it have a sauna? Or a swimming pool? :) I still like the typhoon the most, silent running, internal escape vehicle... all good, for a underwater cofin. The UK sub looks interesting at best, the rear looks like it is hardly sonar proof, but the large mast is turly a sight to see...
By Necro99
The Typhoon SSBN.
Missile Launching Nuclear Submarines are the most advanced, costly, stealth and destructive devices ever known to man.
By Khenlein
I'm partial to the Los Angeles Class myself,
They aren't the newest, fastest, prettiest or deadliest.

But its very likely I'll be aboard one of them before the end of next year,
By MB.
U-Boat type VII-C

By Tovarish Spetsnaz
Ironically...the Soviets in WW2 had a sub virtually identical to the U-Boat Type VII. This was the Soviet S-Class submarine (S for Stalinets)...Both the Germans and the Soviets bought the plans for the sub from the Dutch (or was it Belgians...I forget)...so they build the same subs.

The Stalinets was the best submarine class in Soviet service...
By MB.
The dutch! hah! Who would have though? :p

But yes, the VIIC and the S Class were trully excellent submarines.
By Dimitri
For my favorite: either the Typhoon SSBN, Alfa SSN, Foxtrot SS, or Tango SSK (ASW sub)
By Delphi
I have a few favorites, so I will put them into categories.

The most outrageous submarine would have to be the French Surcouf class submarine. It was essentially a submerged destroyer with double eight inch guns not to mention the 12 torpedo tubes. For how much work and effort was put into making this monster it was lost in February 1942 in a collision with an American freighter.

The most ingenious submarine would be the Japanese the I 300 class submarines. It was designed to hold four aircraft that would be launched from a ramp. They were designed to attack the Panama Canal but the attack never happened.

For modern submarines-

The most economic submarine would be the German Type 209 submarine. Exported to a myriad of nations, it is cheap, highly effective for defense, and an all around solid vessel.

The best attack submarine I think would be the Akula...if the funding existed to keep the repairs up. With it immense diving limit and silence along with its innovative anti-submarine missile I think it would give a good fight against any opponent. However, due to the current state of the Russian navy I don't think many are operational. So for offensive purposes I would have to give my vote to the Seawolf.

Now for the submarine that I just happen to really like for no specific reason. And many specific in fact. THE TYPHOON!!!
:D
Last edited by Delphi on 31 Jul 2003 03:59, edited 2 times in total.
By MB.
I was looking up that Surcouf class and found some pics, but I'm not sure they're the right images. Did it have a rounded turret that interlocked with the Conning tower?

Not so long ago., if a person was to be conside[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

Seems like there's a lot of cursing of Ukraine's 1[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

We were once wild before wheat and other grains do[…]