Anybody know this gun? - Page 2 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

By War Angel
The real golden gun. Once owned by Saddam:

That's an AK-74, not AK-47.

And yes, the second looks like a Dragunov without a scope.
By Demosthenes
Indeed, a Dragonov...SVD. The golden gun is an AK-74. The original model trinket appears to indeed be an AK-47.

Now onward:

Name these four, and no fair looking at the source, they can't be that hard for this bunch...

MB... Let them answer first! For added fun name the cartridge size, standard clip size, and what makes them famous or useful. (The third one really has a story...yes, I'm partial to western european weapons... As for the fourth, it's not what it looks like at first glance...unless you really do know what it is!)

By Dave
The first is an HK MP5, which is normally a 9x19mm weapon. I don't know the clip size, but I'm guessing 30 rounds.

The second is an FN P90, or as those of us who played Goldeneye know and love it as, the RCP-90.
It's a "personal defense weapon" and has, I think, a 4.6mm caliber. The clip size is very large, something like 100 rounds.

The third is the abortive G11 project from the 1980s
This weapon is famous for caseless 4.6mm ammunition (retarded) and a very complicated firing mechanism that allows for a 3 round burst at very high speed with no recoil until the third shot.

The last is obviously an M16 of some sort, but you wouldn't have posted it if it was just a normal M16. The magazine also looks a little different than what we use. I'm guess its some national variant of the M16, like the Canadian version or the Taiwanese version (can't remember the names of either).
The caliber is almost certainly 5.56 NATO, and that looks like a 20 round box magazine.
By ingliz
The last is obviously an M16 of some sort

Going by the magazine it looks like the Arsenal Co, Bulgarian, version famous for its high quality AKs, could be a semi auto civilian type.
By Thunderhawk
AR-15 prototype?
By Demosthenes
Dave is completely correct on number 3, but on the rest he is off in some ways. I'll see if anyone else wants to jump in before posting the answers.
By War Angel
First - HK MP5, PDW version. 9x19mm Parabellum, 30 round clip.

Second - FN P90, 5.7x25mm (or some-such), 50-round magazine.

Third - I KNOW that weapon, forgot its name... :-\ it's some low-calibre (4.7mm\4.6mm), high-capacity, low-recoil prototype of some, and if I'm not mistaken - it can be folded into a box-shape.

Fourth - Sorry, looks like a very standard M-16A2 to me, with a 30-round plastic magazine, and some assault scope.
By ingliz
If it's the Bulgarian clone, I think it can be chambered to take AK ammunition, 7.62 x 39, or am I getting too esoteric with that one and it could just be a C7? :lol:
By Demosthenes
Not bad, you guys are all around it, pretty much.

First is indeed, an MP5 PDW, properly termed MP5K. Used by drug lords everywhere. It's essential function is as a machine pistol, it is smaller than it looks. Chambered in 9x19mm with a 30 round clip.

The second is also indeed, The FN-P90, firing a 5.7x28mm round in excess of 2000 mps. The small, yet high velocity round is highly effective at penetrating armored targets and the ergonomic design of this Belgian nasty is highly effective for either left or right handed shooters. Though somewhat specialized this weapon has uses in most of the world's armed forces. Now comes in the FN-PS90 civilian varient, with a much longer barrel and no autofire, it still comes in handy for those pesky carnivorous dear, or when the occaisional need for revolution rears its ugly head! ;)

The third was twice correctly named as the Heckler and Koch G11 failed caseless ammunition experiment. Firing a 4.6mm caseless round, and as noted, specially triggered to fire three round bursts with one trigger pull. The design failed more due to politics, with its advent near the end of the cold war, than any real issues with development. Still, there are detractors, like Dave. It featured a 50 round clip.

The fourth and final is indeed the Canadian C7. While not exactly as spectactular as the other three, it is worthy of mention in some circles. Mostly north of the US border of course, but many feel the Candian design has limited the flaws of the standard US version. Others feel it's simply a cheap knockoff. regardless, a series of weapon to be noted...if not quite as well renowned as the original AK-47 that started the thread. I doubt anyone will attempt to place this weapon in the sand any time soon. As noted it fires a standard 5.56 round with a 30 round clip.

Ok, Who's next? Dave? ingliz? C'mon, make em tough!
By ingliz

This is a very rare animal.
By Demosthenes
Hmmm...reminds me of a Sten, but it doesn't have the side grip thingy. Don't tell me...this one is going to bug me...I may have to hunt a little.
By ingliz

I have found a better picture and without the folding stock, off a Sterling SMG I think, it may be almost too easy to guess what it is
By War Angel
The fourth and final is indeed the Canadian C7. While not exactly as spectactular as the other three, it is worthy of mention in some circles. Mostly north of the US border of course, but many feel the Candian design has limited the flaws of the standard US version. Others feel it's simply a cheap knockoff. regardless, a series of weapon to be noted...if not quite as well renowned as the original AK-47 that started the thread. I doubt anyone will attempt to place this weapon in the sand any time soon. As noted it fires a standard 5.56 round with a 30 round clip.

Was there any way to observe this, visually, from that picture? I've spent years around M16s, and this one looks very much like any other M-16 I've come across. What are the differences?

Anyway, that looks like some Russian\East European silenced SMG. Beyond that, I've little idea. It also doesn't look very new - 1930-1960, at the most.
By Demosthenes
It's definately British, and my guess is WWII era, but I still can't nail it down. I'm not at home atm, I'll give you a better accounting of the C7 once I'm there.
By ingliz
It's a 'silent', not a silenced, special forces Lee Enfield SMLE variant known as the De Lisle carbine. The replacement, modified, Thompson SMG barrel increased the calibre from .303 to .45 ACP and the magazine way was changed to accomodate a magazine from a Colt 1911. It also has a rubber bolt-closing pad and is finished off with an integral silencer, one of the most efficient moderating systems ever devised but a bugger to clean.
By Demosthenes
Ahhhh...ok, that's the one that also fired subsonic rounds which also decreased the noise level, right? IIRC that's one of quietest firearms ever made...Still, I doubt I would have been able to pinpoint it.

BTW, for War Angel:
M16A2:

VS, Previously pictured C7

In 1984, Canada adopted a new 5.56 mm assault rifle. To avoid research and design expenses, the Canadians simply purchased the license from USA for a new assault rifle, chambered for the latest 5.56 x 45 NATO ammunition. This was the Colt model 715, also known as the M16A1E1 rifle. Adopted as the C7, this rifle combined features from both earlier M16A1 rifles, such as full automatic fire mode and a two-position flip-up diopter sight, and from the newest M16A2, such as heavy barrel, rifled with faster 1:7 twist, better suited for 5.56mm NATO ammunition. Latter on, Diemaco (now Colt Canada) developed a short-barreled carbine version, fitted with telescoped buttstock, which was designated the C8. While the C7 rifle went to the Canadian armed forces, the C8 is in use with Canadian police forces. According to the recent trends in small arms development, Diemaco also produced so called "flat top" models of both the C7 and C8. These models have a Picatinny-style rail instead of the M16A1-style integral carrying handle with rear sight, and are usually issued with the Elcan optical sights, or with the detachable carrying handle with M16A1-type diopter sights. Designated by the manufacturer as the C7FT and C8FT, in Canadian service these models are issued as C7A1 and C8A1, respectively. Other derivatives are the LSW (Light Support Weapon, basically a heavy barreled C7) and SFW (Special Forces Weapon, a heavy barreled C8). Netherlands adopted the C7 (in both standard and flat top versions) in 1994, and Denmark purchased and adopted the C7FT as the Gevaer M/95 in 1995.
    Currently Canadian army is upgrading existing C7 and C7A1 rifles in Canadian service to new C7A2 configuration, which combines the standard C7-type 50cm barrel with C8-type telescoped buttstock, colored furniture, C7A1-type Picatinny rail upper receiver, and additional short Picatinny rails on the sides of front sight block for mounting sighting aids like laser pointers and tactical lights. C7A2 also is fitted with improved sight, Elcan C79A2. Other changes include ambidextrous magazine release and safety/fire selector switch, and other minor improvements
    Internally, the C7 differs very little from the original M16A1 rifle, with the most visible differences being the heavy M16A2-style barrel and A2-style handguards. Flat top models (C7FT / C7A1) are quite similar in appearance to the M16A3 rifles, and issued with Elcan optical sight along with backup iron sights. The C8/C8FT carbines are quite similar to the US M4/M4A1 carbines.

Well done, NEXT!

EDIT-

Fine I'll put up some more!

This one should be pretty easy by now:

This one could be tougher:

and finally (though I doubt this will be that tough here):

Remember, no fair looking at the sourse!
By Dave
First is a Steyr AUG, an Austrian bullpup assault rifle which is notable for being the first widely adopted bullpup design. I can't name the other two. :(

Demosthenes wrote:The third was twice correctly named as the Heckler and Koch G11 failed caseless ammunition experiment. Firing a 4.6mm caseless round, and as noted, specially triggered to fire three round bursts with one trigger pull. The design failed more due to politics, with its advent near the end of the cold war, than any real issues with development. Still, there are detractors, like Dave. It featured a 50 round clip.

Couple of reasons I don't like the G11
  • The 5.56 NATO is already not powerful enough, and beyond 50m it usually doesn't knock down targets. It's almost useless in an anti-materiel role, and good fucking luck penetrating concrete.
  • Cookoff problems were never really resolved, although for sub-100 round firing it did become a rare event. I would be very interested in caseless ammunition if there were electric firing however, in which case a different propellant could be used and cookoff would become a non-issue.
  • While the action was billed as being very reliable, I find the claim to be dubious. The action is extremely complex and it's hard to believe that it could be all that reliable.
  • Expensive and time-consuming to manufacture
By Demosthenes
No arguements with points 1,3,4. As to 2, the cook off problems were resolved during a second round of testing. Unfortunately the project was shit canned shortly after and the results were never widely known.
By Dave
I question this. The spontaneous ignition temperature of the improved propellant was 100 degrees C. I don't think it's at all unlikeky for this temperature to be reached in sustained firing, especially as the chamber was not fluted. Admittedly the kind of sustained firing likely to produce such a temperature in the chamber would not be commonly encountered in the field. I would also be interested in knowing how objective evaluations by the German defense ministry are. Since they're Germany I'm guessing the standards are high, but you never know. The Pentagon has embarrassingly pathetic, politicized evaluation procedures and has for 20+ years (going back to the M247 Sergeant York debacle).

There's nothing more progressive than supporting b[…]

https://twitter.com/TheBigDataStats/status/1399589[…]

A man from Oklahoma (United States) who travelled […]

That was weird

No, it won't. Only the Democrats will be hurt by […]