Strategic Defense Initiative the LASER SHIELD now in use. - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Military vehicles, aircraft, ships, guns and other military equipment. Plus any general military discussions that don't belong elsewhere on the board.

Moderator: PoFo The Lounge Mods

BUSH PUSHES AHEAD WITH STAR WARS LASER SHIELD
A panel of experts established under the Secretary of Defense, is
expected to recommend a huge increase in spending on the plan. This
would include devoting billions of dollars to developing
missile-destroying lasers to be carried on aircraft and later, in a
precise replication of the Star Wars plan, laser beams fired from satellites.

The Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) was a proposal by U.S. President Ronald Reagan on March 23, 1983.

Though this line of defensive is not welcome in the world political venue we have tested its feasibility. "Administration Researches Laser Weapon" was headline news from the New York Times.

In the article it says that "Though futuristic and technically challenging" leading the reader to believe we are decades away from such applied technology. "In a statement, the House panel, the Armed Services Subcommittee on Strategic Forces, simply said that "none of the funds authorized for this program shall be used for the development of laser space technologies with anti-satellite purposes."

Another portion of the article says "The Air Force has pursued the secret research for several years... The documents stated that for the 2007 fiscal year, starting in October, the research will seek to "demonstrate fully compensated laser propagation to low earth orbit satellites."

The documents listed several potential uses of the laser research, the first being "anti-satellite weapons."

There was a Space Preservation Act of 2001. The basics of which is "preserve the cooperative, peaceful uses of space for the benefit of all humankind." There have been 5 bills posed "The latest bill (2005) progressed the farthest, though it failed to be voted out of either of the two subcommittees to which it was referred." http://www.fas.org/sgp/congress/2001/hr2977.html

The first purposed application of this satellite weapon was by PHYSICAL OPTICS CORP. purposed to the US ARMY as "High Repetition Rate Cavity-Dumped Unified Laser Expandable System"

The link for it and other Army projects is here: http://www.dodsbir.net/selections/abs043/armyabs043.htm

Then DARPA and the DOD made a working model called A.P.P.L.E
http://www.darpa.mil/mto/programs/apple/index.html

This is known as a high peak power directed energy weapon (DEW)
This unit if Equipped with the above laser system could reach ground and space targets. there has been a great amount of clean up done in the last few months I had to work hard for those links. Simple things like the Space Preservation Act has been removed from news sources web wide including WIKI but hard work always gets the goods.

Do you think that the US people should be kept in the dark? Also since it was already released information do you think the government should be able to dub something "National Security" After it was made a world wide headline?
By Captain Sam
I don't know what it is, but I'm being reminded of Dr. Evil from Austin Powers. :hmm:
By Piano Red
Old news. DARPA has been working on Solid State Laser Tech for years now.

The M-THEL design being the most advanced of all the current projects.

Here's some footage of during a test evaluation
By U184
They have been doing that at white sands for years now. The Direct Energy Laser I refer to is in orbit now, and presumable has been for sometime.
By stalker
In this case I agree with Piano Red. This research does look very promising. What I've read on them is that these types of lasers could be attached to bombers and used to shoot down ICBM's.
By MB.
The sanctuary doctrine has been dead since 1957. Politicians continue to flog the rotting carcass of the sanctuary doctrine because it is politically expedient.

M-THEL design being the most advanced of all the current projects.

What are the specifications of this system?
By Nattering Nabob
And yet we spent untold billions on missiles (such as those proposed for deployment in Poland) when this is in the pipeline...

The same thing happened with the B-1 bomber when the Cruise Missile and Stealth technology was on the way.

Bush and Reagan are/were lying whores who spend tons on projects taht will be obsolete when they are fielded.
By MB.
Redundancy.
By Oxymoron
Redundancy.

Dont put all your eggs in one basket doctrine. :D
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

Which gives rise to an equally terrible far right[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]

Imagine how delighted you will be when the Circus[…]