Most innovative hand-held item of WWII - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The Second World War (1939-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
What do you think was the most innovative hand-held item of the Second World War?

These two spring to mind:

The SCR-536 “Handie-Talkie”

The Zielgerät 1229 (early night vision optics)
By Tailz
Gandalf The Grey wrote:The "Jerry Can"?

A very good choice. The british fluid containers used in the desert were well known to break or rupture easly (the 18 litre - 4 gallon containers ended up with the nick name: Flimsies) and so the British forces adopted the pressed steel construction Wehrmachtskanister, and gave it the nick name of "Jerry Can."

If I remember correctly, in German service a white stripe or cross on the can indicated that the can was used to carry drinking water, instead of fuel.

Bosnjak wrote:Sturmgewehr 44 (the ancestor of AK-47) http://www.w-menke.de/sturmgewehr44.html or is this a Hend held Item??

The principle of the assault rifle was formulated with the Sturmgewehr 44. I remember an intrerview with the designer of the AK47, he was asked if he got the idea for the AK47 from the German Stg44. He answered no, but I think he was concerened that people accuse him of just copying the Stg44 instead of coming up with his own mechanical workings. The principle of the assault rifle is the same, but both have different design origins - if I am remembering right.
By Godstud
If I remember correctly, in German service a white stripe or cross on the can indicated that the can was used to carry drinking water, instead of fuel.

Yep. White cross signified potable water.

Stg 44 is a very good one and possibly the winner. Can't think of any others off the top of my head, but Germans had some good inventors on their side. They came up with some good inventions and some really bad ones(curved barrel rifle).
By Tailz
Godstud wrote:They came up with some good inventions and some really bad ones(curved barrel rifle).

I agree that the curved barrel attachment was a bad idea overall, but look at what it was intended for - spraying bullets around a corner or over a tanks surface. But even today the idea of a weapon to shot around a corner is still be explored. The Israeli's have come up with a few inovative designs. But the biggest problem I have always seen is functionality in a combat situation. Who in their right mind would want to be caught peering into a tiny video screen with their weapon on the end of a pole? Or some complex folding weapon? These are good ideas in principle, but functional on a fluid moving battlefield in close quarters combat? Mabe if you can retain stealth, but if stealth is lost, their going to be more of a hinderance with their hap-hazzard method of use than a boon.
By QatzelOk
The suicide pill.
By Tailz
How about... the folding shovel (the German Klappspaten)?

QatzelOk wrote:The suicide pill.

I'd have to disagree, suicide pills have been around for a while in one form of another, plus they were generaly only given to people who would be of value if captured, eg: Generals, Spies, intelegence officers, etc. Not really something that you would find useful on the battlefield, and not really all that inovative for the Second World War.
By Jarlaxle
The Panzerfaust/Panzerschreck--the forerunner of the modern RPG and LAW.

The Stg44 is good...but late to the party. The first "machine rifle" (as its designer called it) beats it by more than twenty years!
By Jarlaxle
Err...I don't think you're supposed to HOLD one of those! :lol: That might not work out so well!
By killim
How about... the folding shovel (the German Klappspaten)?

Tha major German hand-to-hand combat weapon was used in both world wars and wasn't really a WWII innovation, even if the design of the Klappspaten 38 was a renewed one.
By Quantum
Bosnjak wrote:Sturmgewehr 44 (the ancestor of AK-47) http://www.w-menke.de/sturmgewehr44.html or is this a Hend held Item??

I agree and that, along with Gewehr 43 are one of my favourite hand-held items. An G43 is much superior to its predecessor because it used an improved gas system.

tailz wrote:(the 18 litre - 4 gallon containers ended up with the nick name: Flimsies)

The 18 litre - 4 gallon containers were mainly manufactured in the third world, that's why the containers ruptured easily. However, the British had a 9 litre - 2 gallon container made of pressed steel but they were too expensive to produce. The jerrycan is yet another fine invention by the military that was beneficial for the civilian population.
By Tailz
Jarlaxle wrote:The Panzerfaust/Panzerschreck--the forerunner of the modern RPG and LAW.

The Stg44 is good...but late to the party. The first "machine rifle" (as its designer called it) beats it by more than twenty years!

The Panzerfaust and the range of disposable anti-tank weapons of that style were quite an inovation. Handy, light weight, good for ambushing, had a remarkable punch - after a test firing between the Panzerschreck and a Bazooka against a Panther, Patton remarked that he was about ready to take after the enemy with their own weapon!

The Stg44 was the first true assault rifle in function and form - although previous "trench brooms" had been made, they were ether too large and bulky like the Browning that was more a limited machine gun than rifle, as compaired to the smaller sub-machine guns. The Stg44 seems to be when the form and function come together just right.

Grassroots1 wrote:If the stg 44 counts as hand-held, do bouncing bettys qualify as well?

The Stg44 was certainly hand held.

As for if a Bouncing Betty or German S-Mine (Schrapnellmine) counts as hand held, I made the stipulation that devices must be hand held to avoid the torrent of dim-wits posting that the atomic bomb was the most innovative item of the second world war - since I was more intrested about looking at the objects soldiers in the field might use, rather than vastly complex devices that require a crew to opereate.

I'd class a Bouncing Betty as very inovative in form and function as compaired to other landmines.

Although when deployed you would certainly did not want to have it in your hands, it is certainly a device that is operated by a single soldier. The mine could be deployed as a pressure operated device, or a device that was triggered by tripwires, or both! The trip wires really have the mine the ability to deny an area to the enemy and create confusion as a trick that was employed was to bury S-mines with Barbed wire entanglements, with trip wires attached to the barbed wire. So if the barned wire was moved, the attached trip wires would set off the S-Mines.

Hollywood has really stereotyped the landmine as being an object you step upon, few people know of the use of trip wires with land-mines.

Killim wrote:Tha major German hand-to-hand combat weapon was used in both world wars and wasn't really a WWII innovation, even if the design of the Klappspaten 38 was a renewed one.

I agree, but the shovel was just as important a tool in WWII was in WWI.

Quantum wrote:The 18 litre - 4 gallon containers were mainly manufactured in the third world, that's why the containers ruptured easily. However, the British had a 9 litre - 2 gallon container made of pressed steel but they were too expensive to produce. The jerrycan is yet another fine invention by the military that was beneficial for the civilian population.

The quality and the thin thickness of the steel didn't help the British 4 gallon containers. The German design was far more robust.
By Leuthas
too large and bulky like the Browning that was more a limited machine gun than rifle

I'm curious, to which Browning rifle are you referring?

I might add the proxy fuse, plastics and mass produced penicillin.
By Tailz
Leuthas wrote:I'm curious, to which Browning rifle are you referring?

The M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle (BAR)
The weapon was trying to be a rifle, trying to be a machine gun. The Americans used it in the Squad support role, a role the Germans used the MG34 and MG42 in - weapons that obviously out-gunned the BAR.
By Cookie Monster
Sturmgewehr 44 (the ancestor of AK-47) http://www.w-menke.de/sturmgewehr44.html or is this a Hend held Item??
Although they're similar, the Sturmgewehr 44 is not the ancestor of the AK-47 as their mechanical design is very different.
Last edited by Cookie Monster on 24 Mar 2010 23:33, edited 1 time in total.
By Godstud
The M1919 Browning MG was a lot closer to the MG42 and MG 34s. The BAR was just a kind of intermediate weapon that didn't turn out to be such a great idea.
By Tailz
Cookie Monster wrote:Although they similar, the Sturmgewehr 44 is not the ancestor of the AK-47, they work by different mechanisms.

The Sturmgewehr 44 is the forerunner of the AK-47 in so far as form and function as an assault rifle, certainly they are both mechanically different.

Godstud wrote:The M1919 Browning MG was a lot closer to the MG42 and MG 34s. The BAR was just a kind of intermediate weapon that didn't turn out to be such a great idea.

I agree, the BAR was trying to have its cake and eat it too. I've read a report that the barrel could get so hot that the wooden fixtures could char!!

4 foot tall Chinese parents are regularly giving b[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

This post was made on the 16th April two years ag[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

https://twitter.com/hermit_hwarang/status/1779130[…]

Iran is going to attack Israel

All foreign politics are an extension of domestic[…]