July 7, 1937... China - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The Second World War (1939-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By colliric
The place and date, the war really began.

In reality the war technically went from 1937-1945, as that date was when Japan declared war on China and invaded Manchuria, beginning the fighting that ultimately became the Pacific Theatre.

For the sake of preserving the date the war "heated up fully", and began in full, I think memorials should continue to say 1939, but history books should say the real date of 1937.
By MB.
Yes this is well understood. The Pacific War is usually split from the War in Europe for exactly this reason. What's your point?
By colliric
MB. wrote:Yes this is well understood. The Pacific War is usually split from the War in Europe for exactly this reason. What's your point?

I don't think the younger generation realises wars start slowly. I do not believe there is good education about this fact in today's schools.
By MB.
Which wars are you thinking of, besides the Second World War? Wars can actaully start very rapidly, such as the July Crisis leading to the First World War in less than a month (likewise the Danzig crisis which started the Second World War in Europe occurred over only a few days). The attack on Pearl Harbour which brought the United States into the war directly against Japan occurred on a single day.

You might want to divide up immediate causes from long term structural factors in your analysis.
By colliric
The United States seeming immediate response to Pearl Harbor was in fact built up due to prior expectations of a likely attack given the Japanese had entered war with the other Allied nations.

The US was war ready.
By MB.
Actaully they weren't which is why the US suffered many reversals early on, besides Pearl Harbour, the defeat at Corregidor should prove my point.

If your objective is to prove the US was planning the war with Japan you'll need to do better than this.

...Or maybe because there are many witnesses sayin[…]

Israel-Palestinian War 2023

If the tunnels were built by Hamas openly, then th[…]

Sounds like perfect organized crime material ex[…]

Commercial foreclosures increase 97% from last ye[…]