The Arab Revolt - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The First World War (1914-1918).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By MasterOfPuppets
http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/s/sy/sykes-picot_agreement1.htm

http://www.absoluteastronomy.com/encyclopedia/h/hu/hussein-mcmahon_correspondence2.htm

A British agreement is not worth the paper it is printed on, if anyone need a precursor to the current problems in the Arab world look no further than two apparently genuine conflicting agreements.

Could a unified Arab nation have saved the Middle East from the current situation? :hmm:
By Ideational Ontarian
**** that, this century was our first oppertunity since the Islamic invasions to be independent and free.
By Crazyvichistan
I don't think that a unified Middle East would have stopped the current conflict, though it would have greatly altered it. It would have ultimately led to infighting that would have torn the area apart, much like today. Actually drawing the borders on the basis of ethnic and cultural lines probably could have stopped today's problems, by not causing a crisis of power and ethnicity in the years following the partitioning by the west.
By MasterOfPuppets
**** that, this century was our first oppertunity since the Islamic invasions to be independent and free.

How does dividing the mideast up into fiefdoms do anything other than foster distrust between them, leading to paranoia and ultimately persecution of minority's and foreigners. The sick man empire was dying anyway. Then we made strangers of brothers which was totally unneccessary, we would be in a better position to control the mideast if it were run by one administration. The status quo as it stands, simply suited British and French designs on certain spheres, that is now redundant.

Would terrorists today be so quick to defend their people with rediculous means if a united arab nation stood at the table of the worlds powers.

They would have something to be proud of, their voice would be heard at the UN, they would be dragged out of poverty by a strong government controlling vast amounts of black gold, yet they would not possess the manpower to reject Western demands pertaining to any attempts at stopping the flow of oil. 8)

It would be a win win situation for all involved. I am also interested to know if any plans for a political community are underway in the mideast.
By naked_turk
Who are you?
You speak as if Arabs were somehow occupying your land. If you're Lebanese, you're Arabic yourself, and have nothing to complain about.
By Red Rebel
I don't think that a unified Middle East would have stopped the current conflict, though it would have greatly altered it.

True indeed. If Great Britain and France actually gave the Middle East there indepence and the right to govern themselves the Middle East would be very differnt today.

My guess would be that most Sunni nations (areas around the present Saudi Arabia) would have joined together. But it would lack unity and it would probaly be like the Holy Roman Empire (way to many local religious leaders). But perhaps if they had a global religious leader in Mecca (such as the Catholic Pope) there would be strong unity.

Actually drawing the borders on the basis of ethnic and cultural lines probably could have stopped today's problems, by not causing a crisis of power and ethnicity in the years following the partitioning by the west.

Imperialism screws up the world again.

Islam was started in the 7th century and was the most advanced civilization of its time. But I really don't understand what you are talking about.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]