85th Anniversary of Historic I.R.A. Victory - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

The First World War (1914-1918).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Thunderhawk
Seeing as Northern Ireland is still part of the UK, Id say its only a partial victory.
By The Immortal Goon
But as Cork isn't still part of the UK, I would say it was a total victory for that operation.

-TIG :rockon:
By motojackal
Thanks Clan, I did not know much about this battle. I am visiting Cork this year, I have printed off the map, I will visit the site.
By Clann
Moto, there is also a memorial at the site of the Kilmichael ambush. If you want to read more about the legendary Third (west) Cork brigade check out Meda Ryan's excellent Tom Barry - I.R.A. Freedom Fighter or Tom Barry's own book, Guerilla Days in Ireland.
By The Immortal Goon
If you want to see Tom Barry's old house, go to the McDonald's on St. Patrick's Street.

There's a little plaque outside. It's rather pathetic that someone who was so important for Cork had his house turned in to the Golden Arches instead of something remotely useful.

By Clann
That's an absolute fucking disgrace. Tom Barry is up there with Pearse and Connolly, Tone and Emmet in his contribution to the cause of Irish freedom, an absolute hero.
By The Immortal Goon
I totally agree. Barry really doesn't get the praise he deserves, actually. the McDonald's being in his old place is just a nail in the coffin. Kind of a symbol of how the Irish Revolution eventually lost its momentum by selling ideal after ideal in the final analysis.

By redstarline
Nice to see people learning Irish history, I met a very confused American who didnt understand that the IRA fought AGAINST the Irish Free State.
By Boondock Saint
Nice to see people learning Irish history, I met a very confused American who didnt understand that the IRA fought AGAINST the Irish Free State.

THos fucking Americans, I don't know why they even cared about what was going on in Ireland anyway!

Fucking Americans ...

As for the OP, good stuff.

I'd like to visit Ireland someday, maybe I can finally get some sort of grasp as to what my Grandmother was always babbling about and why my family was so damned involved with 'charity' to Ireland.
By The Immortal Goon
Look me up if you make it to Cork...Well, if you start drinking again and make it to Cork. The two kind of go together though.

By Clann
If you are both in Cork, drop me a line and i'd be glad to buy you a pint in Fred's!
By The Immortal Goon
If you are both in Cork, drop me a line and i'd be glad to buy you a pint in Fred's!

I'm in Cork. I live off of Shandon street.

Fred's is sweet.

By dannymu
The IRA is/was an organisation full of murderers. Why should we celebrate their "achievements"
By Spin
Because things aren't as black and white as that.

Furthermore, this was a different IRA.
By Clann
The IRA is/was an organisation full of murderers. Why should we celebrate their "achievements"

Why should we celebrate anything?
By jaakko

What a question! That's like neo-nazis going to a Day of Victory celebration on the 9th of May, asking "why should we celebrate this".
By Eauz
It's too bad I don't have much grasp on Irish history... Although, I did enjoy Michael Collins the film.

@FiveofSwords is unable to provide a scientific[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

I'm just free flowing thought here: I'm trying t[…]

Left vs right, masculine vs feminine

…. the left puts on the gas pedal and the right […]

@QatzelOk DeSantis got rid of a book showing chi[…]