What if Robert Kennedy hadn't been assassinated? - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

'Cold war' communist versus capitalist ideological struggle (1946 - 1990) and everything else in the post World War II era (1946 onwards).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
If Robert Kennedy hadn't been assassinated by Sirhan Sirhan do you think he would have gotten the Democratic nomination in 1968, and beaten Nixon in the general election? If so, how would he have guided US policy, especially regarding drug policy (Nixon was the first president to proclaim a War on Drugs) and America's involvement in Vietnam?

I know this is a hypothetical situation and it would be hard to answer definitively what he would have done, but it interests me nonetheless.
By Oxymoron
I assume he would have continued the war indefinately that his brother started.
By Jeff in Kentucky
To me, the bigger question is what would have happened if JFK did not pick Johnson as Vice President. JFK likely would not have been in a parade in Dallas, Johnson's home town, without Johnson in the parade, to get assassinated and have Johnson take over, who to me was the most corrupt Democrat during the last 50 years (in my opinion, both Reagan and W. Bush were more corrupt than Johnson). This conspiracy theory carries the most weight to me, from Wikipedia, because Johnson had the most to gain by JFK's death:

"In 2003, researcher Barr McClellan published the book, Blood, Money & Power: How L.B.J. Killed J.F.K.. McClellan claims that Lyndon Johnson, motivated by the fear of being dropped from the Kennedy ticket in 1964 and the need to cover up various scandals, masterminded Kennedy's assassination with the help of his friend attorney Edward Clark. The book suggests that a smudged partial fingerprint from the sniper's nest likely belonged to Johnson's associate Malcolm "Mac" Wallace, and that Mac Wallace was therefore the assassin. The book further claims that the killing of Kennedy was paid for by oil magnates including Clint Murchison and H. L. Hunt.

Madeleine D. Brown, a former mistress of Johnson, has also implicated him in a conspiracy to kill Kennedy. Brown alleged in 1997 that Johnson along with H. L. Hunt had begun planning Kennedy's demise as early as 1960. Brown claimed that by its fruition in 1963 the conspiracy involved dozens of persons including the leadership of FBI and the Mafia as well as well-known politicians and journalists.

Johnson was also accused of complicity in the assassination by former CIA agent and Watergate figure E. Howard Hunt.

Billie Sol Estes (born 1924) was a scandal-ridden financier best known for his close association with Lyndon Johnson and for having accused Johnson of a variety of crimes, including the assassination of John. F. Kennedy.

In 1984, Estes' lawyer, Douglas Caddy, wrote to the Department of Justice claiming that Estes, Lyndon B. Johnson, Malcolm "Mac" Wallace, and Cliff Carter had been involved in the murders of Henry Marshall, George Krutilek, Harold Orr, Ike Rogers and his secretary, Coleman Wade, the president's sister Josefa Johnson, John Kinser and John F. Kennedy. Caddy added, "Mr. Estes is willing to testify that LBJ ordered these killings, and that he transmitted his orders through Cliff Carter to Mac Wallace, who executed the murders."

Kennedy had a few troops in Vietnam- Johnson gave in to the military contractors for a huge useless buildup and a huge profit for them, and Johnson's "war on poverty" created thousands living on welfare for generations in government subsidized housing, while many go on crime sprees. Maybe McGovern or a Kennedy could have beat Nixon, and we would still have a gold standard for our inflatodollars, instead of the minimum wage peaking in 1967.

What if Ted Kennedy did not drive drunk and crash, so his girlfriend died? Maybe he would have made it beyond Senator.

I think things would be very different if both Kennedys were not killed. It seems to me JFK was killed for Johnson to take over, and RFK disagreed with Johnson about the Vietnam War.

Another interesting factoid about JFK, from Wikipedia, which may have changed U.S. history in the 2000s:

"In 1963, the Kennedy administration backed a coup against the government of Iraq headed by General Abdel Karim Kassem, who five years earlier had deposed the Western-allied Iraqi monarchy. The CIA helped the new Baath Party government led by Abdul Salam Arif in ridding the country of suspected leftists and Communists. In a Baathist bloodbath, the government used lists of suspected Communists and other leftists provided by the CIA, to systematically murder untold numbers of Iraq's educated elite — killings in which Saddam Hussein himself is said to have participated. The victims included hundreds of doctors, teachers, technicians, lawyers and other professionals as well as military and political figures. According to an op-ed in the New York Times, the U.S. sent arms to the new regime, weapons later used against the same Kurdish insurgents the U.S. supported against Kassem and then abandoned. American and UK oil and other interests, including Mobil, Bechtel and British Petroleum, were conducting business in Iraq."

I liked the director's cut of this movie (not the theater version), about what might happen if we could go back in time and "fix" history, with unintended consequences:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/butterf ... entReviews
By Cerberus
Oxymoron wrote:I assume he would have continued the war indefinately that his brother started.

by the time of his presidential run RFK had become a prominent anti-war speaker and long before he had gone public with his opposition to the war he had voiced it privately with Johnson, trying to convince him to pursue a different course.
By Antihero
Brio wrote:If Robert Kennedy hadn't been assassinated by Sirhan Sirhan do you think he would have gotten the Democratic nomination in 1968, and beaten Nixon in the general election? If so, how would he have guided US policy, especially regarding drug policy (Nixon was the first president to proclaim a War on Drugs) and America's involvement in Vietnam?

I know this is a hypothetical situation and it would be hard to answer definitively what he would have done, but it interests me nonetheless.

Drugs were outlawed long time defore that, besides that whole hippy stuff was on the rise. War on drugs was inevitable. He wouldn't change a damn thing about Vietnam.
By Ombrageux
RFK had close ties to both peace movement and the Black community. He would have also had the Democratic majorities and the House and the Senate which IRL were so confrontational with Nixon. It is hard to say what would have occurred. At the very least, expectations would have been raised enormously had he won. He probably would have ended the war sooner. It is possible that he would have slowed the emergence of the 'War on Drugs' and the explosion of the U.S. prison population. On the other hand that wasn't just a federal development, but involved individual states becoming increasingly tough on crime too.
By IHuman
I don't think he'd have done what Nixon and Kissinger did with all the reckless and evil bombing in Cambodia and Laos but then he wouldn't have had a fraction of the power they had and wouldn't have been able to worry the communists as much.
By Nattering Nabob
I don't think America's involvement in Vietnam would have been much different under RFK...RFK was actually an aide to McCarthy at one time and didn't care for communists...
By Arthur2sheds_Jackson
Oxymoron wrote:
I assume he would have continued the war indefinately that his brother started.
Do you have any proof that Bobby Kennedy was Ike's brother?

Leftists have often and openly condemned the Octo[…]

Yes, It is illegal in the US if you do not declar[…]

Though you accuse many people ("leftists&quo[…]

Chimps are very strong too Ingliz. In terms of fo[…]