Khojaly Massacre - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

'Cold war' communist versus capitalist ideological struggle (1946 - 1990) and everything else in the post World War II era (1946 onwards).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Devrim

At night from February 25 to 26 the Armenian armed forces occupied the town of Khojaly. The occupation was carried out with active support of several units of the Russian Army's 366th regiment.

Occupation of Khojaly was followed with unprecedented brutalities against the civilian population. In a few hours the aggressors killed 613 innocent and unarmed people. Among them were 106 women, 83 children. 56 people were killed with special brutality. 8 families were totally exterminated. 25 children were totally, and 130 children were partly orphaned. 476 people became disabled persons (of them 76 were minors). 1275 people were taken into hostage and even though afterwards most of the hostages were released from captivity, the fates of 150 of them are still unknown.

Role of 366th motor-rifle regiment

In 1987 the 366th regiment was brought to Khankandi. It consisted of 1800 men. But in fact there served only 350 men in it. There were 100 armored cars in this regiment. Its chief was Yuri Zavrigarov. There were 54 Armenian officers and ensigns in this regiment's stuff. Battalion Commander of the Il-nd (??) regiment was Seyran Oganyan - Armenian by nationality. Armored cars and soldiers were under his command.

At the beginning of February 1992 there was a talk between Elmira Gafarova - the chairman of the Supreme Soviet of Azerbaijan and marshal Shaposhnikov in Moscow.

On February 12th she again met him in Minsk. She insisted on leaving of the 366th motor-rifle regiment, but Shaposhnikov didn't agree. He said that it had to be agreed with chiefs. On February 12th Ayaz Mutallibov -the president of independent Azerbaijan Republic flew to Minsk. 5 times he had meetings with Boris Yeltsin - the president of Russia. But he couldn't succeed the leaving of the regiment. Then deputy Araz Alizadeh flew to Moscow and made an agreement about the 3661 motor-rifle regiment. These are what he said: ''Here I met with Yeltsin and we talked about 45 minutes, in my presence Yeltsin phoned to Shaposhnikov and gave him an order about leaving of the regiment. On February 24th Marshall Shaposhnikow called me on and said that the 366th regiment would leave soon. On February 25th I phoned him again. He said that the regiment was leaving Khankandi. But soon we understood that we had been deceived".

Till the last days Marshal Shaposhnikov didn't want to confess that the 366th regiment had been given to Armenians. Most of the officers and soldiers were moved to Georgia. After it the regiment assistant, commander of the Transcaucasian Military District troops, general-lieutenant Sufiyan Bappayev said some facts that proved the duplicity of Russian service men. He said that the regiment commander - lieutenant colonel Yuri Zavrigarov was given a command, but he acted in other way. When landing men wanted to prevent him, one of them was killed by Armenians. Commander of the 2nd battalion Seyran Ohanyan handed in Armenians a great number of military equipments, including 17 armored cars, 4 antiaircraft guns and others.

Eye witness Tamara Mammadova: '' Everyone has a mother. Armenians are not an exception. That day they had shot a woman, an old woman... Then one after another they tortured the wounded woman. Armenians pulled her eyes out, cut her chest, then killed her. Besides her they pulled Igbal’s eyes, cut out his segment and burnt him... He was one of the bravest sons of Khojaly. ''

In the press:

The Sunday Times : "Armenian Soldiers Massacre Hundreds of Fleeing Families" (March 1, 1992)

Newsweek magazine: "Many were killed at close range while trying to flee; some had their faces mutilated, others were scalped" (March 16, 1992)

Le Mond: “The foreign journalists in Aghdam saw the women and three scalped children with the pulled off nails among the killed people. This is not “Azerbaijani propaganda”, but reality”(March 14, 1992)
By Devrim
Smilin' Dave wrote:We had an interesting discussion on this a little while ago:
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=116308
I thought Aekos made some pretty important points.

I read a bit and obviously there were some efforts to justify this terrible massacre with previous events. That's not ethical. I was not even allowed to talk about massacres of Armenians toward Turkish families in the East before 1915. This is just hypocricy. You can't accept the fact that Muslims were victims of terrible massacres and genocide attempts. And you can't accept that Armenians committed many massacres.

Lord Curzon in the House of Commons; '' You are mistaken to think the Armenians are innocent as a 7 year old girl. However, their latest actions have proven how savage they can be. ''
By Smilin' Dave
Devrim wrote:I read a bit and obviously there were some efforts to justify this terrible massacre with previous events.

... you didn't actually read what Aekos said, did you? You've developed an rather annoying habit on this forum of not reading things I've linked you to.

Devrim wrote:That's not ethical. I was not even allowed to talk about massacres of Armenians toward Turkish families in the East before 1915.

Are you concerned by the unethical nature of such an argument, or your false perception that your were 'not allowed' to engage in the same tactic? Can't have it both ways if you want to be objective.

Devrim wrote:You can't accept the fact that Muslims were victims of terrible massacres and genocide attempts.

I've never said that. This is simply a strawman you've constructed to divert attention from your own denial and negation of massacres.
By Devrim
Is it me or your friend who tried to divert attention from his own denial of terrible massacre in Khojaly ? I read the posts in the topic and it was clearly tried to justify the massacre with previous events. What was the relevance of WW1 events for example ? it was mentioned there.

That's simple. It makes you angry when you see such dirts of Armenians. Because Armenians should not lose their fake 7 years old cute girl image.
By Smilin' Dave
...you still haven't read it have you? Wow. I'm sure Ataturk wouldn't be proud of your lazy strategy of fabrication. I mean a guy that devoted a lot of time to combatting illiteracy would probably be annoyed to know that you couldn't be bothered to read a thread that is just over one page. :lol:

I will make it really simple for you: how do you respond to the claim that Azeri civilian casualties were in part the result of Azeri troops being mixed with with the civilians? Cut the bullshit and answer the question.

Devrim wrote:That's simple. It makes you angry when you see such dirts of Armenians. Because Armenians should not lose their fake 7 years old cute girl image.

I'm only interested in the accuracy of historical narratives, I'm completely uninterested in national affiliations. You however couldn't possibly be more partisan for Turks. Someone who lives in a house of glass should be careful not to throw stones.

I find it very easy to tell if a protest is peace[…]

@FiveofSwords I disagreed that capitalism is 'Je[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

For what? Not being Nazi enough? https://twitt[…]

Charles de Gaulle's (French president from January[…]