How what writers faced during the Cold War can offer insight into what we face today - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

'Cold war' communist versus capitalist ideological struggle (1946 - 1990) and everything else in the post World War II era (1946 onwards).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
This is fascinating on a number of levels. When the author was a child, living in Germany, he would do things with the family of his best friend. They'd go to the pool, on picnics, that sort of thing.

After the wall fell, and we got to see the documents of the Stasi, the parents of his friend were arrested for being spies, for the Stasi (the East German version of the CIA).

The book he wrote is about how authors had to face the pressure of the propaganda war of the Cold War. How they dealt with "this web of complicity".

I look forward to reading the book.

If you are interested in the subject, you should read John Lewis Gaddis, the dean of Cold War studies. I cited these books when I managed to write a First Class paper in Cambridge. The Cold War is still relevant in East Asia as Korea is still a divided nation. President Trump is going after North Korea, fighting the ongoing Cold War. Trump should negotiate with North Korea from a position of strength as the second coming of President Reagan, the original Cold Warrior.

We Now Know: Rethinking Cold War History. Oxford: Clarendon Press. 1997. ISBN 978-0-198-78070-0.

The United States and the End of the Cold War: Implications, Reconsiderations and Provocations. New York, NY: Oxford University Press. 1992. ISBN 978-0-195-05201-5.

The Long Peace: Inquiries into the History of the Cold War. New York, NY: Oxford University Press. 1987. ISBN 978-0195043365.

Strategies of Containment: A Critical Appraisal of Postwar American National Security Policy. New York, NY: Oxford University Press. 2005 [1982]. ISBN 978-0195174489.
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

ISIS wants to create a division between Chechens […]

PoFo would be a strange place for them to focus o[…]

In my opinion, masculinity has declined for all o[…]

@ingliz good to know, so why have double standar[…]