Russian Revolution - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Inter-war period (1919-1938), Russian civil war (1917–1921) and other non World War topics (1914-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Boris
Here is a small list of terms I must define for my histoire class.

http://home.comcast.net/~clong180/RusRev_terms.doc

I want to do way more. I need you guys here to post as many things about the russian revolution as possible. Remember, this ends 1922, We do the rise of Stalin next. Any Battles would be great, and conditions of pre-revolution russia would also be good... ANYTHING Please...
By Maxim Litvinov
Umm... if you want me to do any homework, it's got to be more interesting than this.

2. pogroms
'Pogrom' is a Russian term from the verb gromit' - to destroy. It is used to describe the genocide of Jewish peoples. Under the tsars, Jews had restricted freedoms, including the restriction that they had to live in a certain area called the Pale (mainly Belorus and Ukraine). A number of government-condoned slaughters of the Jewish population in some of the towns of this area occurred, enflamed by the anti-Semitism of the Russian/Ukrainian peoples. The two most famous pogroms are probably Kishinev (1903 , I think) and Odessa (1905).

16. March Revolution
Normally called 'February revolution'. Similarly 'November revolution' is normally called 'October revolution'.

20. Petrograd
Name of St. Petersburg / Leningrad from 1914-1924. The name was changed from 'burg' - a German-type suffix, which Peter the Great chose to connote the 'European' nature of his new city, to 'grad' - a traditional Slavic suffix denoting an urban area. On Lenin's death in 1924, it became Leningrad until the collapse of the Soviet Union when it reverted back to St. Petersburg again.

29. USSR
Didn't come into being until 30th December, 1922. Up until this time, the nascent Russian state was simply a part of the RSFSR. Initially was a federation of the already Soviet republics of the former empire - Ukrainian, Russian, Transcaucasian (Armenian, Azerbaijani, Georgian) and Belorussian SSRs.
By Boris
Maxim Litvinov wrote:Umm... if you want me to do any homework, it's got to be more interesting than this.

2. pogroms
'Pogrom' is a Russian term from the verb gromit' - to destroy. It is used to describe the genocide of Jewish peoples. Under the tsars, Jews had restricted freedoms, including the restriction that they had to live in a certain area called the Pale (mainly Belorus and Ukraine). A number of government-condoned slaughters of the Jewish population in some of the towns of this area occurred, enflamed by the anti-Semitism of the Russian/Ukrainian peoples. The two most famous pogroms are probably Kishinev (1903 , I think) and Odessa (1905).

16. March Revolution
Normally called 'February revolution'. Similarly 'November revolution' is normally called 'October revolution'.

20. Petrograd
Name of St. Petersburg / Leningrad from 1914-1924. The name was changed from 'burg' - a German-type suffix, which Peter the Great chose to connote the 'European' nature of his new city, to 'grad' - a traditional Slavic suffix denoting an urban area. On Lenin's death in 1924, it became Leningrad until the collapse of the Soviet Union when it reverted back to St. Petersburg again.

29. USSR
Didn't come into being until 30th December, 1922. Up until this time, the nascent Russian state was simply a part of the RSFSR. Initially was a federation of the already Soviet republics of the former empire - Ukrainian, Russian, Transcaucasian (Armenian, Azerbaijani, Georgian) and Belorussian SSRs.

Wow, Thank you, what I was really asking is what words are not on the list that could be added for me to define. But thank you for those concise definitions. They shall help alot.
By Maxim Litvinov
Oh. :hmm: Without looking at the list of words again (so apologies if I repeat myself)...

Constituent Assembly
Soviet
Kronstadt Uprising
Revolutionary Military Council
Kornilov Affair
Generals Kolchak, Denikin, Yudenich...
Whites, Reds & Greens
War Communism
Sovnarkom, Orgburo, Politburo & Secretariat
Bloody Sunday
Battleship Potemkin (Potyomkin)
First, Second, Third, Fourth Duma
By Steve
I don't know how detailed you want to get with this, but here are a few non-RSFSR terms. The majority are anti-communist forces, but not necessarily White either. Also note that some of my name spellings are probably off.

Ukraine
Ukrainian Central Rada
Ukrainian People's Republic
Mikhailo Hrushevsky
Nestor Makhno/Makhnovite/Revolutionary Insurgent Army of Ukraine
Symon Petlyura
Organization of Ukrainian Nationalists
Christian Rakovsky

Central Asia
Alash Orda
Basmachi
Bukhara/Khorezm People's Soviet Republics

White
Czechoslovak Legion
Allied intervention

Mongolia (sort of a sidebar to the civil war, but had Red Army involvement)
Sukhe Bator
Choybalsan
Mongolian People's Revolutionary Army

Assorted Reds
Tukhachevsky
Blyukher
Budyonny/Red Cavalry
Order of the Red Banner of RSFSR
----------------------

There... that ought to keep you busy for a while... :)
By Steve
You want more?

Cheka
Felix Dzerzhinsky (sp?)
GPU
Josef Pilsudski
Warsaw (battle)
Treaty of Riga
Dashnaks
26 Baku Commissars
By Boris
Thank you comrade! Now just one question.

Who were the greens? I know the Red and Whites...But greens? Neutral or something?
By jaakko
Boris wrote:Who were the greens? I know the Red and Whites...But greens? Neutral or something?

Neutral, basically touring bandits. More hostile towards the Reds than the Whites.
By Boris
Jaakko wrote:
Boris wrote:Who were the greens? I know the Red and Whites...But greens? Neutral or something?

Neutral, basically touring bandits. More hostile towards the Reds than the Whites.

Any examples? That definition sounds pathetic...
By Maxim Litvinov
Don't knock people's definitions, because then they won't help you.

My knowledge on the civil war is almost non-existent, but Greens referred to any groups that weren't directly affiliated with either the Whites or the Reds. I'm not sure if I agree they were more White than Red.

Generally, they resembled loose partisan detachments of locals, or groups of bandits who banded together. They could be like local independence fighters, the 'private army' of a local warlord, or simply thugs out to make some money out of the civil war.

Here are a few short paras that I Googled:
At first "Greens" (russian: Zelyoniye) was the name of troops who hid in the woods (in Northern Caucasus and Crimea) and consisted of persons who avoided from mobilization to the Army or deserted from troops of both "Red" and "White" Armies. At first "Greens" were nonpolitical and made previously diversionary raids with different "Greens" detachments supported communist, anti-Communist, anarchist or nationalist movements.
The largest Green Army existed in Black sea coast of Caucasus. It was
[pro-Communist] Kubano-Black Sea Red-Green Army (est. 15,000 persons) that resisted Denikin's Russian Volunteer Army in the summer of 1919 on the territory between Anapa and Adler. This Army and had no central commander and consisted of separate troops. In the winter of 1920 there were forces there Green Soviet Army (between Anapa and Tuapse; under commandant P.M. Morits and Black Sea Peasants' Militia (between Sochi and Adler) that were united in Mar 1920 to form Red Army of Black Sea land (c. 12,000 persons; under commandant Ye.S. Kazanskiy); it made part (in union with "Red" Army" in breaking of Denikin's forces in Northern Caucasus.
Pro-Communist "Green" (called "Red-Green") partisan troops in Crimea
were united in Aug 1920 into the Rebel Army of Crimea (under commandant A.V. Mokrousov) that were in war in union with "Red" Army against Wrangel's forces.
Some "Greens" joined the "White" movement. They often were
called "White-Greens". The most known of their forces was Army for Revival of Russia (in 1920 under command of General Fostikov, in the Northern Caucasus).
By mid 1920 all forces of "Greens" were dissolved, some parts became part of "Red" Army.

I don't vouch for its accuracy.
By Steve
Jaakko's definition is basically right. They were usually peasants. An example would be the Tambov peasant uprising sometime near the end of the war. The peasants fought against the Reds and were eventually called Greens.

I believe the term was also applied to the Makhno army.
By Der Freiheitsucher
Jaakko wrote:Neutral, basically touring bandits. More hostile towards the Reds than the Whites.

That is exactly what the greens were Boris. I did not bother to read your list, neither did I bother to check what other people wrote and cancel out, but perhaps some of these will help;

Decembrist movement
"Third Section"
Zemstva
Narodniki
Bloody Sunday
1905 Revolution
October Manifesto
First Duma up to Fourth Duma
Sergei Witte
Peter Stolypin
Stolypin Agrarian Reforms
April Theses
Prince Lvov
Kornilov
Prov. Government
Constituent Assembly
Petrograd Soviet
By Phoenix
You also might want to add about the Czar's abdication (that he gave the crown to his uncle, Grand Duke who rejected it)
And the bread riots/strikes, especially the Czar's reforms to argiculture (which is a failure and slow)
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

We're getting some shocking claims coming through.[…]

Most of us non- white men have found a different […]

we ought to have maintained a bit more 'racial hy[…]

@Unthinking Majority Canada goes beyond just t[…]