Spanish Civil War - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Inter-war period (1919-1938), Russian civil war (1917–1921) and other non World War topics (1914-1945).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By The New Manifesto
Hello, im looking for a good book on the subject. Just a general book about it, not just about one event, or one side. Thanks
By The Immortal Goon
The standard text for it is Orwell's Homage to Cataonia.

From what I know of the Spanish Civil War, it in many ways seems alright. If you're going to study the Spanish Civil War you should read it regardless, however, as anyone you talk about it with is inevitably going to bring the linked book up.

After that, I'm not sure. I've read the standard Stalinist and Trotskyist texts on it, Orwell, Nin, and then basic encyclopedia sort of stuff myself.

-TIG :rockon:
By Far-Right Sage
There are many I could provide you with, but if you're looking for a less ideologically zealous text and a more "neutral" historical breakdown, then I would recommend "The Battle For Spain" by Antony Beevor.
By The New Manifesto
Thanks both of you...and yes im going to try an non-biased text first
By HoniSoit
The most comprehensive and definitive work on Spanish Civil War is probably Hugh Thomas' The Spanish Civil War. I've only read sections of it and think it focuses too much on the progress of the war itself - which is of course by no means a criticism. But seeing I'm not too excited by the war story, there are many other good books which you could easily find in the library that look at the social dynamics of the war - which to me is more interesting. You might also be interested in reading Objectivity and Liberal Scholarship by Noam Chomsky where he critically reviewed some of the major works on the Spanish Civil War.
By axm
I think I'll agree with FRS ( :eek: ), Beeovrs book is quite good. His view on the reason for the Republics military failure is correct.
If you want to know about the war properly then don't rely solely on Homage to Catalonia; Orwell saw minimal action, firing just one shot before being wounded in the throat, but nevertheless his commentary on the conflict itself and his own decision for fighting for the Republic is worth reading.

The best book to read is Antony Beevor's book on the Civil War, and Paul Preston's work is a more concise source to get you started.

Enjoy

AuContraireVoltaire wrote:If you want to know about the war properly then don't rely solely on Homage to Catalonia; Orwell saw minimal action, firing just one shot before being wounded in the throat, but nevertheless his commentary on the conflict itself and his own decision for fighting for the Republic is worth reading.

The best book to read is Antony Beevor's book on the Civil War, and Paul Preston's work is a more concise source to get you started.

Enjoy

Shit, this thread is 5 years old. It's not likely my recommendation will be of much use now.
Last edited by Siberian Fox on 01 Aug 2012 22:33, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
By pugsville
Orwell saw more action than that. He fired more than one shot spent some months at the front. But he did only serve for a short period of a few months, and did not travel widely or have much background about spain. His impressions are interesting and a useful introduction but it is a relatively limited view , a small snapshot of a very complex war.

Beevor's book is OK bought it myself reasonable overview.
By Fasces
The standard text for it is Orwell's Homage to Cataonia.

That is not a standard text for an unbiased or academic study of the war, not by a long shot. :eh:

EDIT: Oh, lord a necropost. Must pay attention.
I meant (probably, this was a long time ago) that it was standard in the context that a lot of beginners started there. Some classes will assign it to undergrads that know nothing of the subject because it's written by someone that knows nothing about the subject bit is there anyway.

I'm quite sure that's what I would have meant, I certainly can't imagine I ever thought it was the gold standard in everything that has to do with the topic. As you said, that wouldn't be true by a long shot.
By Jackal
Far-Right Sage wrote:There are many I could provide you with, but if you're looking for a less ideologically zealous text and a more "neutral" historical breakdown, then I would recommend "The Battle For Spain" by Antony Beevor.

This book should be your first read. A fine choice, indeed.

I would also recommend The Spanish Civil War: Reaction, Revolution, and Revenge by Paul Preston.

EU is not prepared on nuclear war, but Russia,[…]

It is implausible that the IDF could not or would[…]

Moving on to the next misuse of language that sho[…]

There is no reason to have a state at all unless w[…]