The Number 13 any different meaning in Ancient times - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Rome, Greece, Egypt & other ancient history (c 4000 BCE - 476 CE) and pre-history.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Godstud
XIII :D

Actually I believe the Friday the 13th came from the middle ages when the Pope was moving on the Knights Templar and he chose the 13th of March?(i think) to move on them. After that is was known as bad luck, not surprisingly. I am not sure about earlier than that or any previous historical ties.
By Doomhammer
There was something about the Church committing some kind of massacre on a Friday the 13th. Dunno, really.
By Potemkin
Judas Iscariot was the 13th disciple. Or something. Dunno really. :|
By Oxymoron
13 is a ancient holy number.

13 Tribes of Israel

12 Aposteles + Jesus
Bar Mitzva on the 13th Bday.
By Thompson_NCL
Friday the 13th is the Date the Knights Templar were rounded up by the Church (well France). Beyond that...not sure. I think the others gave a few ideas.
By Brio
13 Tribes of Israel

Umm my brainwashed religious upbringing taught me that there were 12 tribes of Israel, named from the 12 sons of Jacob (later re-named Israel). By reaching thirteen tribes are you dividing the tribe of Joseph into two (Manasseh and Ephraim) as it was done in Genesis by Jacob's blessing?
By Oxymoron
“The tribal arrangement in Israel was based on descent from the twelve sons of Jacob (Gen 29:32-30:24; 35:16-18). These “twelve patriarchal families" produced the “twelve tribes of Israel” (Gen 49:1-28). However, Jacob blessed Joseph’s two sons, Manasseh the older and Ephraim the younger, and said: “Ephraim and Manasseh will become mine like [his actual sons] Reuben and Simeon” (Gen. 48:5, 13-20). When the various tribes received their land inheritance in the Promised Land (Josh. chaps. 13-19), there was no “tribe of Joseph.” Instead, “the sons of Joseph,” Manasseh and Ephraim were counted as distinct tribes in Israel, thus giving thirteen tribes.

12 is also a holy number, and by adding the one it changes the meaning. 12 has to do more with harmony as it can be easily divided thus 13 is disorder chaos or Yin. 12 months, 12 constellations etc.
12 also divides easily into 60 which is what the Sumerians used for counting.
By Brio
Ah thanks for clearing that up. Although only twelve tribes were appointed land in Israel; poor Leviites were appointed no land and were relegated to the Temple correct?
By Rojik of the Arctic
Actually I believe the Friday the 13th came from the middle ages when the Pope was moving on the Knights Templar and he chose the 13th of March?(i think) to move on them. After that is was known as bad luck, not surprisingly. I am not sure about earlier than that or any previous historical ties.

I thought the bad luck came from 13 people at the last supper but I can't say it's something I could type with confidence.
By Nets
Oxy wrote:60 which is what the Sumerians used for counting.

We do too; think degrees (not radians) of an angle.
By pugsville
13 is linked to the lunar calendar. Graves has some crazy yet strangely plausible theories about 13 the lunar calendar the matrichary, and the rise of kings and the solar calendar around 12. With the overthrow of the Matriarchy all things connected with it were bad, so the 13 is a bad number.
By Bosnjak
many theories, i have an own

13 is the 6th Prime Number: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13

The October 7 attack may constitute an act of atte[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]