Phoenician and Carthaginian exploration - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Rome, Greece, Egypt & other ancient history (c 4000 BCE - 476 CE) and pre-history.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I was reading an article about the Sargasso sea (which is in the middle of the Atlantic) which was perhaps described by the Carthaginians in the 5th century BC. I was wondering, how far did they explore the Atlantic and Indian oceans?
By Potemkin
I was reading an article about the Sargasso sea (which is in the middle of the Atlantic) which was perhaps described by the Carthaginians in the 5th century BC. I was wondering, how far did they explore the Atlantic and Indian oceans?

It's unlikely that they got to the Sargasso Sea and back. They certainly sailed along the West coast of Africa and got up to Britain (they started the international trade in British tin, btw). Hanno the Navigator was one of their great explorers. Hanno discovered gorillas on the coast of Africa. 'Gorilla' is a Phoenician word btw. Srsly. :)
By xoplytnyk
Roman and Phoenician influence has been found in South America. Both cultures coins have been found all over North and South America. Phoenician inscriptions have been found in Brazil.

So it is very likely that the Carthaginians described the Sargasso Sea in 5BC.

Columbus didn't discover the New World, if anything, he rediscovered it.
By Cookie Monster
It's unlikely that they got to the Sargasso Sea and back. They certainly sailed along the West coast of Africa and got up to Britain (they started the international trade in British tin, btw). Hanno the Navigator was one of their great explorers. Hanno discovered gorillas on the coast of Africa. 'Gorilla' is a Phoenician word btw. Srsly.
Potemky, I am familiar with Hanno the Navigator. I was looking for more details about his voyage or that of others. The more I read about the Phoenicians and the Carthaginians, the more I become fascinated by their culture. They were among the first to establish a maritime trade empire. I'd like to know if there is good literature about their history, not necessarily restricted to the exploits of Hanno the Navigator or Hannibal Barca.
By Cookie Monster
Interestingly there is speculation that the Phoenicians did circumvent Africa.

Herodotus...
reports, for example, that the annual flooding of the Nile was said to be the result of melting snows far to the south, and he comments that he cannot understand how there can be snow in Africa, the hottest part of the known world, offering an elaborate explanation based on the way that desert winds affect the passage of the Sun over this part of the world (2:18ff). He also passes on dismissive reports from Phoenician sailors that, while circumnavigating Africa, they "saw the sun on the right side while sailing westwards". Owing to this brief mention, which is included almost as an afterthought, it has been argued that Africa was indeed circumnavigated by ancient seafarers, for this is precisely where the sun ought to have been.
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herodotus
By Potemkin
Interestingly there is speculation that the Phoenicians did circumvent Africa.

Circumnavigate, Cookie. Still, at least you didn't say 'circumcise'. ;)
By Cookie Monster
:lol:
BRICS will fail

Americans so desperate for a Cold War 2.0 they inv[…]

They do not have equality of opportunity compared […]

So you do justify October 7, but as I said lack th[…]

Were the guys in the video supporting or opposing […]