just found out that ancient africans had written language - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Rome, Greece, Egypt & other ancient history (c 4000 BCE - 476 CE) and pre-history.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
I was doing some research and i just found out that in nigeria my country of origin, there is an ancient form of written language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nsibidi

just wanted to know what your thoughts are.
By Thunderhawk
The wikipedia article calls it indigenous - to what degree? Did the people see other written languages, get inspired and make their own written languages (like Korean and Navaho) ? Did they create it without knowing of the concept of written languages? Was it an indigenous version of some one else's text that evolved into something separate?
By lessnot
The article states it's 5000 years old, given that Chinese and Egyptian arose independently at the same time it being indigenous without external influence would be the most likely explanation.
By Quantum
godshumbleson wrote:[Nonsense deleted]

Yes, because there was no written language in Africa before Western colonisation and any evidence to the contrary must be a figment of somebody's imagination. :roll:
By Thunderhawk
Wikipedia wrote:Nsibidi is said to date back between 4000 and 5000 BC[1] or at least as old as the Ikom monoliths which date back to AD 170

That [1] links to: http://books.google.com/books?id=jIqKJX0BUx4C&pg=PA98
Which is a book about a justice system using traditional social customs. Not an archeology book, not a history book nor even a museum reference. If the Wikipedia article said 1-2k BC Id have accepted it and moved on, but claiming 4-5k BC seems to me as a rather huge piece of history, and that needs a source more reliable then what is given. This leads me to believe its mythical history stemming from old Christian tales including the morality ones and that of the Earth being ~6000 years old. Given the Christian heritage of the region and that the source is a book about society and justive (just like religions), I think its wacky Chirstian tales being absorbed and transformed into a mythical history for the written language.

A native 2k year old written language, autonomously creates or not, is an impressive feat most peoples cannot claim. If the 4-5k old age claim is false then its quite the big lie, in which case the rest of the story becomes heavily suspect and a potentially impressive piece of history becomes dismissed as propaganda because of that taint.
By War Angel
10,000 year-old writing? Ehh... gonna need some serious proof.
By Otebo
Nsibidi is said to date back between 4000 and 5000 BC[1] or at least as old as the Ikom monoliths which date back to AD 170

That's quite a big difference to be unsure about.

:eh:

The October 7th attack has not been deemed a geno[…]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]