The Indus Valley Civilization - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Rome, Greece, Egypt & other ancient history (c 4000 BCE - 476 CE) and pre-history.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By R_G
Briefing

This civilization's timeline is commonly cited at around 2,500 BC but some sources contend it was older.

Now, there are a slew of theories as to how civilized this culture was. Certainly the way in how the towns were constructed would support the claim they had city planning. Plumbing was also found and then there are the claims of why the towns were abandoned.

Not to go off topic with the whole nuclear war issue, but this is the oldest concrete civilization we have discovered. What are the thoughts on here about their evidence of other lost civilizations?

For me the one thing that is confusing about the human race is that Neanderthals who may have been smarter than Homosapiens went extinct roughly 40-50,000 years ago for unexplained reasons and that if you look at the timeline of Earth, we occupy a very tiny part of it.

The Indus Valley Civilization seems to indicate to me that humanity was capable of some great things long before our technological advancements of the last thousand years.
this is the oldest concrete civilization we have discovered

Not true; the Sumerian and Egyptian civilisations were older.

The Indus Valley Civilization seems to indicate to me that humanity was capable of some great things long before our technological advancements of the last thousand years.

Have you never heard of the ancient Greeks or the Roman Empire?
As Potemkin said, Egyptian and Sumerian civilization were older, but all these three civilizations did existed as contemporariness for few centuries.

Have you never heard of Pyramids?

Every ancient culture/civilization has some magnificent great things to show for but overall technological progress has allowed us to do numerous impressive things that were simply impossible, comparing these times is actually apple and oranges.

On IVC, its interesting because we still haven't managed to decipher its script and still have a very vague idea of its governance system. The city planning is indeed impressive though, in many ways the same region in modern times is yet to achieve the same level of city planning.
fuser wrote:
Have you never heard of Pyramids?

Every ancient culture/civilization has some magnificent great things to show for but overall technological progress has allowed us to do numerous impressive things that were simply impossible, comparing these times is actually apple and oranges.

On IVC, its interesting because we still haven't managed to decipher its script and still have a very vague idea of its governance system. The city planning is indeed impressive though, in many ways the same region in modern times is yet to achieve the same level of city planning.

Yes, except the Dutch.
Well, that goes without saying. The only great Dutch person did the logical thing and became English asap. I am talking about William III of Orange.
All of what we know of as the history of human civilisation has flowered only in the last 10,000 odd years beginning with the end of the last Ice Age. I have wondered at odd times since I was a boy and first heard of the Ice Age cycle if there was some long forgotten civilisation in the last inter-glacial warm period or even the ones before that.

Physiologically homo sapiens was not so very different in that last warm period as the current one, surely they could have accomplished some level of civilisation comparable to the current inter-glacial period before the Ice Age smashed it all to nothing?

It would be awesome if one day some archeologist digs up the remains of a 120,000 year old polystyrene cup.
Last edited by SolarCross on 12 Mar 2016 03:35, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient Egypt is about 5,000 BCE and got going around 2,500 BCE. Ancient Troy, the bottom layer was found to be around 3,000 BCE.

The Indus Valley Civilization has towns in excess of 3,000 BCE but there are smaller villages dated as far back as 7,000 BCE.

That was my point.

There are also many structures in Europe that predate Egyptian expansion.
But generally civilization is almost synonymous with urbanization. We date egyptian, sumerian or indus civilization from the appearance of first cities and not any settlement in the given region.
Even taking a basic Earth Science course you get the sense it's a numbers game when thinking about "lost" civilizations.

On the one hand, humans are certainly the first species capable of serious construction due to our physical bodies. But even so, we've existed in similar form, except height, for over 100,000 years and yet for the first 90,000 we couldn't get much going?? It seems odd to me.

Lake Vostok may be a stepping stone to figuring out what is buried by the many meters of ice around the world.
R_G wrote:On the one hand, humans are certainly the first species capable of serious construction due to our physical bodies. But even so, we've existed in similar form, except height, for over 100,000 years and yet for the first 90,000 we couldn't get much going?? It seems odd to me.

Why does it seem odd?

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]