Oldest song with melody - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Rome, Greece, Egypt & other ancient history (c 4000 BCE - 476 CE) and pre-history.
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By Bosnjak

But There is a dispute if drums are allowed, just akappella and no joy music.

but this is a joy song
Last edited by Bosnjak on 19 Nov 2016 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
The last 30 seconds sound decidedly modern. Is that really the original hymn or rather Levy's interpretation of it?
Frollein wrote:The last 30 seconds sound decidedly modern. Is that really the original hymn or rather Levy's interpretation of it?

I think he took artistic liberties near the end, and I'm guessing the rhythm throughout is a bit creative. The intro also sounds like his own interpretation for setting the mood. But from what I gather, much of the song is fairly true to the instructions on the clay tablet the song was found (the tablet contained instructions for playing the harp for the song).

... *Removes his foot from the nearby chair and rolls his shirt sleeves back down after explaining things*
What is the oldest european song with melody, because the melody the notes were from renaissance written. Konfuzius told about antic-classic Chinese music, but it sounds like car accident.

The Old-Egyptian song is a bit too boring.
By noemon
These songs I think have been reconstructed from scant evidence and imagination filling in the gaps, the oldest complete song with proper evidence to play it and proof to that effect is this Greek song and it is played in Civ 6 when playing the Greek characters. The problem with the Hurrian Hymn is that it is incomplete.

Konfuzius told about antic-classic Chinese music, but it sounds like car accident.

All traditional Chinese music sounds like a car crash, Bosnjak. The fact that the Chinese persisted with it for more than two thousand years is both a tribute to the stability and longevity of their culture and to their stubborn masochism. :excited:

This is oldest complete song with melody. The Hurrian Hymn is older but not complete.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]