Normans and Anglo-Saxons - Page 3 - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

End of Roman society, feudalism, rise of religious power, beginnings of the nation-state, renaissance (476 - 1492 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
Oberon wrote:Some strange history here. Did 'English' as a distinct language even exist before Chaucer came along and the hundred years after him until Shakespearean era writers refined it?

Yes. Anglo-Saxon was distinct enough from the other Germanic languages to be a language in its own right, and not just a dialect. After the Norman Conquest, of course, it went through huge changes until stabilising around the middle of the 16th century. Even then, the standard accent of English continued to change enormously, and is still changing very rapidly.

Is it now established archeological fact that the Picts were 'Celtic' tribes?

I'm not sure, but I suspect not. The Picts are something of a mystery, archaeologically speaking. Little is known about them.
Actually the original settlers came from the island I believe is northwest of Ireland (sorry forgot it’s name). I actually believe they were behind the Atlantis stories.
Actually the original settlers came from the island I believe is northwest of Ireland (sorry forgot it’s name). I actually believe they were behind the Atlantis stories.

Iceland? Greenland? Ultima Thule? Lol.

Isn't oil and electricity bought and sold like ev[…]

@Potemkin I heard this song in the Plaza Grande […]

Russia-Ukraine War 2022

The "Russian empire" story line is inve[…]

I (still) have a dream

Even with those millions though. I will not be ab[…]