Andrew Jackson - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By R_G
Coolest President ever?

Maybe...

They were talking about him on The Daily Show.

Seriously though I checked his bio, yeah, I never cared about him before, amazingly, he was the first Pres to have an assassination attempt on him.

And he killed a guy after being shot in a duel.

He was also a War Hero in the War of 1812.

Seriously, wow.
By missy
Thanks, Russian_Guy. I didn't know a thing about him before. Interesting
By Potemkin
I think we can agree that Andrew Jackson was both an evil, evil man and also really, really cool. Sort of like Hannibal Lector. 8)
By The Immortal Goon
Potemkin's about right. It's hard not to think they guy is a complete and utter bad-ass. When I was telling some people at work about him, they didn't believe I was talking about a real guy.

On the other hand, his complete disregard for the constitution or the Supreme Court, or humanaity in general in regard to the natives is pretty fucking appalling.

It's one thing when you take a bullet, shrug it off a la Terminator, and then gun down the guy you're having a dual with; it's another when you send in the union army to wipe out a bunch of naked squas and children.
By Oxymoron
Andrew Jackson is most "famous" for his policy of Indian removal.
Do the words: Trail of Tears ring a bell?

But at least he didnt shut of power to their villages after they went on a war path.
By Piano Red
Potemkin
I think we can agree that Andrew Jackson was both an evil, evil man and also really, really cool. Sort of like Hannibal Lector.

I agree with this assessment.

Andrew Jackson is really only one of two US Presidents that deserve the "Badass Motherfucker you do NOT want to mess with" title.

The other being Teddy Roosevelt.
By dwix
Andrew Jackson wrote:"John Marshall has made his decision; let him enforce it now if he can."

Andrew Jackson, on Chief Justice John Marshall's ruling that expulsion of Native Americans was unconstitutional.

Kinda a jerk, with blatant disregard for checks and balances. But yeah, his badass-ness is impressive, so I guess history sees him as a chill guy.
By R_G
I, personally, can quite easily overlook his policy with the natives, all things considered at the time.
By Thoss
He also owned slaves. So, alot of his 'badass' appeal is lost because of that, at least for me.
By Potemkin
He also owned slaves. So, alot of his 'badass' appeal is lost because of that, at least for me.

But that just makes him even more badass. Now if only he had also been an aristocratic landowner who raped the wives and daughters of his hapless tenants on a regular basis, then he might almost have qualified as an English gentleman, the most badass motherfuckers in human history. You Americans will never have the global hegemony you seem to crave; you're too fond of all that bullshit about equality and human dignity and morality. Empire-building requires completely different qualities, qualities which Andrew Jackson possessed.
By R_G
When you look at the time period, that doesn't make him any less a man.

George Washington also owned slaves.....
Russia-Ukraine War 2022

will putin´s closest buddy Gennady Timchenko be […]

The October 7th attack has not been deemed a genoc[…]

https://youtu.be/URGhMw1u7MM?si=YzcCHXcH9e-US9mv […]

Xi Jinping: "vladimir, bend down even lower, […]