Wellington vs. Napoleon - Politics Forum.org | PoFo

Wandering the information superhighway, he came upon the last refuge of civilization, PoFo, the only forum on the internet ...

Early modern era & beginning of the modern era. Exploration, enlightenment, industrialisation, colonisation & empire (1492 - 1914 CE).
Forum rules: No one line posts please.
By R_G
To make a very general question, who was the overall better leader?

Napoleon gets the nod so many times but it was Wellington who got the better of him, twice.
By yiwahikanak
Yeah but Wellington had Sharpe.
By Thompson_NCL
Wellington wasn't an emperor, so the comparison is unbalanced.

I don't see why the comparison is invalid?

Yeah but Wellington had Sharpe.

Canadians know of Sharpe? Huzzah!
By Potemkin
The only time Wellington and Napoleon faced each other on the field of battle, Wellington won. Ultimately, that's the only 'comparison' which matters.
By El Gilroy
I say Napoleon. Wellington was able to concentrate entirely on the N, whereas Buonaparte was distracted by conquering a continent. Switch those positions, and think about who's going to come out on top.
By Potemkin
I say Napoleon. Wellington was able to concentrate entirely on the N, whereas Buonaparte was distracted by conquering a continent.

...and losing it again. :roll:

Switch those positions, and think about who's going to come out on top.

There's no question that Napoleon was the better civil administrator - Wellington's time as Prime Minister was disastrous, whereas Napoleon transformed the way that continental Europe is governed, and created the modern French polity. As a military general, however, Wellington is up there with Napoleon, and actually beat him in the only battle they fought against each other.
By El Gilroy
Potemkin wrote:...and losing it again. :roll:

Totally besides the point. Nothing lasts forever - achieving in the first place is all that matters. ;)

Potemkin wrote:There's no question that Napoleon was the better civil administrator - Wellington's time as Prime Minister was disastrous, whereas Napoleon transformed the way that continental Europe is governed, and created the modern French polity. As a military general, however, Wellington is up there with Napoleon, and actually beat him in the only battle they fought against each other.

I still suspect Napoleon would've beaten him if his attentions hadn't been all over the place; what with having been exiled for so long and brought back in a rather unfavourable time.
By Cookie Monster
The only time Wellington and Napoleon faced each other on the field of battle, Wellington won. Ultimately, that's the only 'comparison' which matters.
The correct conclusion would be that Wellington and Blücher won at Waterloo. Thereby the question remains unanswered and it suffices to say that they were both brilliant military leaders.
By Oxymoron
I dont think Wellington bettered Napolean, I think Napolean defeated himself.
By Cookie Monster
The question is not who defeated Napoleon but who is the better general (between Napoleon and Wellington). But I agree that Napoleon made mistakes that lead to his eventual defeat at battle and beyond. But I can't really blame him, in a way he was too successful to consolidate his military successes. His administrative successes remains though. :D
Israel-Palestinian War 2023

I have never been wacko at anything. I never thou[…]

I think a Palestinian state has to be demilitariz[…]

no , i am not gonna do it. her grandfather was a[…]

did you know it ? shocking information , any comme[…]